Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2014, 08:57   #16

Just reading about this potential mandatory high-vis this morning and I'm wondering if it's going to be enforced on kids with bikes.

Maybe if we painted everything in high-vis colours there'd be no more accidents ever.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2014, 09:04   #17
Beasty
Administrator

It's extremely unlikely to be enforced on anyone - read the last few posts - the chances of this being introduced are remote, to say the least
20-01-2014, 09:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
It's extremely unlikely to be enforced on anyone - read the last few posts - the chances of this being introduced are remote, to say the least
Thankfully Varadkar appears to be quite practical about the whole thing. I was worried for a moment because hi-vis would simply not go with any of my existing gear.
20-01-2014, 11:35   #19
loyatemu

half the cars on the road are metallic grey, not particularly visible in our generally grey misty weather. Mandatory luminous yellow paint for all cars would undoubtedly improve road safety and should be seriously considered in the light of last years increase in road deaths.

Similarly there is a high incidence of accidents involving poorly lit pedestrians on country roads. If all pedestrians (i.e. any human being on or near a public road) wore hi-viz jackets at all times, they would be a lot safer.
Thanks from:
20-01-2014, 11:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
half the cars on the road are metallic grey, not particularly visible in our generally grey misty weather. Mandatory luminous yellow paint for all cars would undoubtedly improve road safety and should be seriously considered in the light of last years increase in road deaths.

Similarly there is a high incidence of accidents involving poorly lit pedestrians on country roads. If all pedestrians (i.e. any human being on or near a public road) wore hi-viz jackets at all times, they would be a lot safer.
Is there any evidence to support either of these contentions, or is it just your personal opinion?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2014, 11:43   #21
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
Is there any evidence to support either of these contentions, or is it just your personal opinion?
I once crashed into the side of a beige Volvo in foggy conditions.

Is that evidence?
Thanks from:
20-01-2014, 11:56   #22

I don't think much evidence is needed to confirm that hi-viz is highly visible, relatively speaking. Mind you, I'm open to correction on that point.

The key question, however, is whether the wearing of hi-viz alters human behaviour in a manner that reduces death and injury on our roads.

As far as I know there is no evidence to support that hypothesis.
(2) thanks from:
20-01-2014, 12:06   #23
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannahurl View Post
As far as I know there is no evidence to support that hypothesis.
I don't know about that, every time I wear Hi Vis I feel like I have died a little inside.
(6) thanks from:
20-01-2014, 12:28   #24
Dermot Illogical

Quote:
I don't think much evidence is needed to confirm that hi-viz is highly visible, relatively speaking. Mind you, I'm open to correction on that point.
I was driving on a poorly lit road with steady traffic flow last month. It was dark, and wet. About 400-500m ahead I could see a cyclist in among the oncoming traffic. He had an excellent front light, set to flash. Even among the sea of oncoming headlights I could easily make him out. As I passed I noticed he was wearing a "hi-viz" placebo. I only noticed it at the last minute. He had a very bright rear light as well. In my mirrors I could see the rear light, but not the jacket.
Relatively speaking his "hi-viz" was not highly visible.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2014, 13:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
There are a lot of cars that are black, brown, dark grey, light grey and silver. Some of them aren't easy to see in certain situations. This can easily be overcome if they use lights. Similar to cyclists, which is a point that was made earlier.

The rest of the post I suspect is, similar to my own post about painting everything in high-vis, tongue-in-cheek.
20-01-2014, 19:03   #26
not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pants View Post
Thankfully Varadkar appears to be quite practical about the whole thing. I was worried for a moment because hi-vis would simply not go with any of my existing gear.
Ha Ha..
22-01-2014, 15:30   #27

Overheard today.

Pensioner has just told a Community Garda that he is still cycling but that he gets a bit nervous at times because of intimidating traffic conditions.

Garda: "just wear your hi-viz at all times. If anything happens then you're not at fault."
23-01-2014, 10:53   #28
tomasrojo

Quote:
Overheard today.

Pensioner has just told a Community Garda that he is still cycling but that he gets a bit nervous at times because of intimidating traffic conditions.

Garda: "just wear your hi-viz at all times. If anything happens then you're not at fault."
Seems to be stock Garda response now.

BSNYC featured this:
http://vimeo.com/84694389

based on this:
http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/11/1...walk-at-night/

To be fair, the NYPD advice to pedestrians didn't mention helmets. Or flashing lights. But, parody.

Or perhaps not even much parody:

(Image courtesy of the Campaign for Global Road Safety)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmetedkidswalking.jpg (66.4 KB, 1278 views)
Thanks from:
23-01-2014, 11:13   #29

Heard something on the radio the other morning about the RSA handing out high-vis vests to schoolkids. It'll be like a mandatory uniform for everyone who isn't in a car soon.
23-01-2014, 11:18   #30
AstraMonti

They should give out bubblewrap as well, in case they fall down while walking

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion