Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2012, 09:43   #31
buffalo

Coming home last night, turning onto Dorset St (http://goo.gl/maps/JMfrJ). Have to cross three lanes of traffic, but there's a yellow box and I'm turning right. Roll up to the white line, two cars in the nearest lane, sitting in the box. Roll in between them, check the next lane, clear, go to move on when I realise the woman sitting in the rear of the two cars (which I'm paused in front of) is yelling and gesturing furiously at me. She guns the engine and peels off around me before I have a chance to say "this yellow box ain't big enough for the two of us". An opportunity lost.
Advertisement
22-10-2012, 19:38   #32
buffalo

After seeing doozerie's post in Dr Ferrari's thread (clearly the old age is starting to affect his memory, and he's forgotten this thread is here so he doesn't have to figure out how to start a blog) reminded me of some fantastic driving skills that I witness last night on Dorset Street.

Right about here - http://goo.gl/maps/ftNWp (except on the northbound side of the street) - after business hours, there tends to be cars parked along the side of the road (in the "cycle lane") on the far side of the junction. Two lines of traffic start off from the green lights, and then the parked cars and the traffic island force it into one. Except this guy in the lefthand lane was having none of it. Never mind the fact that there was a large spacewagon-type taxi in the right lane, who also wasn't moving an inch. Side-by-side, they head for the funnel. Neck and neck, nobody backing down! The suspense! Who wins? Who loses? I'll tell you who nearly lost - the owner of the parked car whose mirror got clocked by the eejit in the car.

However, in poetic justice, the mirror of the parked car was unaffected - completely intact when I rode by it a few seconds later. As I passed the other fella stopped at a light up ahead though, the glass part of his mirror was hanging out of the protective shell. Unfortunately it looked like it could just be popped back in, so the lesson might not hit home as hard as it needed to. Still, amusing for me to watch from behind.

Later on, I overtook an aul' fella (I know, even older than grumpy aul' me) dawdling along. I stopped at a red light at a crossroads, as the pedestrian lights lit up for all directions, and he came around me. He hesitated for a moment, then turned left, rode up onto the pavement, turned right, and rode back down onto the road. Then he proceeded on with his journey. Obviously, it doesn't count as breaking a red light if you nip onto the footpath first. For that second that you are off the road, you revert to pedestrian status (though neither foot touches the ground) and thereby you are granted the right to rejoin the road (as a cyclist now... it might be a quantum mechanics thing). The way some people assuage a guilty conscience fascinates me.

On a lighter note, I was walking down to the shops earlier, and a cyclist was waiting at the lights wearing a hi-viz. The back of it said, "emergency co-ordinator", though I had no emergencies for him to co-ordinate. Nor did I need a co-ordinator urgently. But I was comforted to know he was nearby if anything did happen.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2012, 00:14   #33
doozerie

I haven't been riled up enough recently to warrant moaning in this thread, but a morning last week just about meets the criteria. I was trackstanding at a red light at a large and busy crossroads. I kept close to the kerb, prepared for the wave of cyclists to go past on my right as soon as the pedestrian-only lights went green, and they duly did. I wasn't prepared though for the guy on a bike who shoved past between me and the kerb. But my annoyance at him was disturbed by the guy on a bike immediately behind me who rolled slowly into my stationary back wheel. When I looked back at him he gave me the universal gormless "Wha'?" face.

I didn't have the enthusiasm at the time to engage with gob****es, I'd have had to expend so much energy in just conveying the fact that their actions were wrong and ignorant that I'd have had no energy left to tell them what I really thought of them.

Several minutes later I was going through a T-junction on green when I had to haul on the brakes to avoid colliding with a woman cyclist coming from my left, through a red light, at full speed. It was just one of those days.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2012, 09:03   #34
t'bear

Buy yourself a car, there appear to be loads of unused ones on this forum :-)
31-10-2012, 21:21   #35
buffalo

http://goo.gl/maps/6cDVC - two yield signs. Didn't stop some asshat blasting straight through without a moment's hesitation despite me coming in from the right. Had to slam on the brakes. I know the junction, so I was half-expecting him to behave as he did.

Caught up with him a minute later, and gave him an earful. He just gaped at me. I don't think he even saw me (didn't look for me), despite my front light. I tend to keep it on a steady 60 lumens in the city, but am considering keeping it on a flashing 200 in future.
Advertisement
01-11-2012, 08:59   #36

You need a whistle!
01-11-2012, 10:06   #37
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Nearly got run over myself last night by a cyclist.
I had a red and I knew he had too but he was edging over it at a snails pace. Eventually my light went green, but there was no traffic around so he decided to power off when I got my Green?!?
I roared RED LIGHT at him and he stopped just in time but he let out a "Pfffft" noise of disgust in my general direction, which was so condescending I had no answer. By the time my annoyance caught up with my mind, we had parted ways.

Not a Buffalo or Doozerie story but it seems the most appropriate place, any suggestions for how I should have handled the situation?
Thanks from:
05-11-2012, 12:50   #38
doozerie

Not specifically cycling related, but here goes: I was driving back from Carrickmines yesterday, along a 2-lane stretch of road leading to a large roundabout. A small white mini moved into my lane ahead of me, not an indicator in sight. It took the same route as me, exiting the roundabout by the 4th exit. Likewise at the next roundabout. Not even a hint of an indicator at any stage.

At a T-junction near Kilternan it stopped at a red traffic light, me just behind it. While waiting there, a female hand emerged from the driver's window and dropped a cigarette butt on the ground. A minute later the light went green, and the car swung left, yet again with no indicator.

Earlier I'd noticed a professionally painted sign on the side of the car, which read "brown cow". I had assumed it was advertising for a business, I now realize that it was actually an artistic social commentary on the nature of the driver.
Thanks from:
05-11-2012, 13:08   #39
doozerie

Here is a more cycling relevant moan from this morning: the fella on a bike who decided that he'd alternate between clinging to my back wheel and overlapping my back wheel. Good luck with that.

At one point it was quite obvious that a gap up ahead was going to be closed off by cars pushing in towards the footpath so I eased off on the pedals and applied my brakes gradually in plenty of time. Yer man behind seemed oblivious to pretty much every kind of cue so when he hit his brakes late all I heard was the sound of his non-rotating tyre being very effectively worn smooth by the tarmac.

On several occasions, when approaching a cyclist ahead, I glanced back prior to changing line only to find yer man's front wheel right alongside my rear wheel and if I'd moved as I'd planned to I would have taken his front wheel out completely. Instead, cue more braking by me to avoid colliding with the cyclist that I couldn't get around in the circumstances, and cue more emergency braking by the idiot behind.

In fairness to him though, he was wearing a blindingly bright yellow (hi-viz) jacket, he clearly wishes to live, and presumably die, by the motto of "If you are going to be a prat, be the most conspicuous feckin' prat that you can possibly be".
Advertisement
05-11-2012, 14:25   #40

"I'M NOT YOUR ****ING DOMESTIQUE & YOU'RE NOT A ****ING TEAM LEADER!" is the answer to that behaviour.
(2) thanks from:
05-11-2012, 16:25   #41
JMcL

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerie View Post
A small white mini moved into my lane ahead of me, not an indicator in sight. It took the same route as me, exiting the roundabout by the 4th exit. Likewise at the next roundabout. Not even a hint of an indicator at any stage.
Sure Minis are made by BMW these days, and they don't come fitted with indicators, at least not that I've ever seen
Thanks from:
05-11-2012, 16:36   #42

I find that the older and grumpier I get the more I am right about everything.
05-11-2012, 16:55   #43
buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Nellie View Post
I find that the older and grumpier I get the more I am right about everything.
I thought I was supposed to just get more right-wing, but you say I'm going to be more right about everything too? Sweet!
05-11-2012, 17:07   #44
Stollaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Bingo! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong this week, but I've had three ...discussions in as many days of cycling.

Coming into Terenure earlier on a sunny Sunday afternoon, from the town direction. Along this stretch - http://goo.gl/maps/rC6Pk - were a row of parked cars. I think most of them must've been up on the footpath, because there was one van that jutted out a couple of feet further, so he must've been parked entirely on the road. There's a cycle track and it's a clearway, but not on Sunday.

Pootling along, doing 25-30kmph, staying out of the door zone, there's oncoming traffic... hear a car behind me. *beeeeep* I sigh. I turn around. Taxi driver. I'm not sure how much further left he wants me to be, because even if I was hugging the wing mirrors, there's no way there's enough room for him to overtake me with the oncoming traffic. I shrug my shoulders at him, and continue on.

*rev rev* *beeeeeeeeeeeep* What? There's only a few more cars left, then I'll be able to pull in. He's yelling I think. I have to move out a little further around the van, which really gets his goat. *beeeep* I move in to the left, and he pulls alongside. "Have you ever been hit by a car door?", I ask. He tells me to stay in to the left, then pulls off. I yell something at him, and he stops up ahead. yay! We're going to have a discussion about it! Maybe we connect on a human level, and have a civil interaction.

I pull alongside. "Have you ever been hit by a car door?", I ask again. He tells me to stay left again, then pulls off once more.

I was tempted to call into Terenure station and report him, but I was looking forward to the spin. I have the reg, and most of the taxi number, will be giving them a quick call in the morning.
My heart actually started to race as I read your story

Being bullied by a road troll strikes a nerve.
05-11-2012, 17:51   #45
buffalo

Only a mild tale today, of a driver who couldn't tell the difference between the stop line and the advanced stop line, who needed to overtake an overtaking cyclist with beeping and about a foot and a half to spare, so he could beat him to the back of the line of traffic twenty meters up the road. Twat.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion