Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2019, 16:30   #1
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

A2 or bust

In a slightly mocking tone, this is said with the knowledge that this is possibly the last year with family and work I can put in a reasonable effort into racing in any way shape or form. I am not quitting after this year but I definitely won't have the time to take it seriously anymore.
Starting the year at 84kg (putting on a 4kg over Christmas).
The good news is that I know a dream weight of 80kg is achievable as I hit it last year with minimal effects to power. I am starting closer to it this year as well.

Aims for the year:
- Sub 80kg from March 1st and not to go back above it for the rest of the year.
- I also have the potential to win an A4 race, something I didn't really believe last year, if I can stop falling back into old Audax habits and getting lost en route, I think I can definitely get a few points, provided I work on my sprint.
- Starting this year in Semi Limit in the league, so aiming for Semi Scratch by end of season
- get HbA1c down to under 50mmol/L, sitting in the sixties again
- I'll wait for the calendar to come out before picking races
- Aiming for the Dun Laoghaire open swim organised by Half Moon Water Polo club. So I will be taking up swimming again. Haven't done it for years and after a dip in the sea today, I look like a drowning fish, so I want to be competitive for this. It is a 2.2km open race so this will require alot of effort on my part.

How to get there (in broad strokes):
- Finishing off the heavy boozing today. Drinking will be reserved for winning races, births, deaths and marriages. Hopefully this means I will not be having a drop until march at the earliest.
- Diet: back to the diet I took up in August last year, which was fairly simple. Eat healthy, cut down on carbs, replace breakfasts and lunches with shakes. No eating after 9pm
- Training. Back to commuting from the morning, so rain, hail or shine, every day is on the bike going forward. Currently working out longer, hillier routes for the commute. I also have a range of exercises done out for building up other muscle groups to both strengthen weak spots as well as stretch out and train myself to be better. I was contemplating a gym membership but the truth is I won't make it to one.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 14:21   #2
CramCycle

So first week over and it has already been up and down.

Coming back to work was a bigger shock this year than most even though I popped in over the break and done a load of stuff from home. Overdone it on the first three days and my legs were in bits over the weekend with pains through my knees. Giving up the booze did not go as well as planned for the first week, and its safe to say I probably drank more that week than over Christmas in general.

Positive notes:
- Down over a kilo already so weight is now 83kg
- Diet is not as difficult this time as the last time to stick too
- I can get to 60kmph on a track bike with 46x18 gearing, so less worried about my ability to get good cadence in

Negative notes:
- Giving up the booze was harder than expected, which is a worrying sign considering the number of addicts in the family. Alot like bold food though, if its not in the house, I won't touch it so now that stocks are depleted it should be less of an issue.
- Haven't started the workouts or swimming yet but will start it by weeks end.

Club League is starting 18th April - starting Semi Limit so balls out for the first few weeks to try and get upto Semi Scratch

Track league - should be able to make a few dates this year for a change, so hopefully at least half the races

Calendar is up on the CI website so here are the targeted events, two or there may not be possible due to family stuff or not being upgraded but hopefully I get a good crack at most of them:

2/3 Dublin Wheelers Open Races
10/3 March Newbridge GP
16/3 Lucan GP - Provided it doesn't interfere with family
31/3 Des Hanlon memorial
20/4 Gorey 3 day (provided upgrade achieved) - not sure if I will be allowed, upgrade or not as the dates are not family friendly but I will ask if I manage an upgrade
28/4 Deenside Cup
5/5 Frank O'Rourke Memorial
12/5 Shay Shay Elliot Memorial (provided upgrade achieved)
9/6 Paddy Flanagan Memorial
22/6 Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorials
23/6 Eddie Tobin Memorial Road Race
26/6 Stephen Roche Grand Prix (if upgraded)
13/7 Danny O'Shea Time Trial
21/7 Seamus Kennedy Memorial
27/7 Christy MacManus & Ronnie Coates Memorial
31/8 Laragh Classic (if upgraded) - also if not marshalling
15/9 Cycling Ireland Masters & A3 Road Race Championships
29/9 Cycling Ireland Hill Climb Championships

Last edited by CramCycle; 11-01-2019 at 09:37. Reason: No Wexford 2 day
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 16:51   #3
CramCycle

Done my first FTP test today.

3.41W/kg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2071285217

I want to sleep

Last edited by CramCycle; 11-01-2019 at 16:54.
11-01-2019, 17:16   #4
dahat

Terrifying experience all round... Did you need a bucket?
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 17:21   #5
wpd

if you havent got one already go and get a coach to do a training/season plan for you
best money you will ever spend
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 17:22   #6
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpd View Post
if you havent got one already go and get a coach to do a training/season plan for you
best money you will ever spend
Done one last year but it was wasted on me, I simply don't have time or money to follow a plan so won't be happening this year.
11-01-2019, 17:37   #7
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Done my first FTP test today.

3.41W/kg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2071285217

I want to sleep
Did you not do a warm up? I'd normally have 30mins done before the actual 20min effort.
11-01-2019, 18:32   #8
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post
Did you not do a warm up? I'd normally have 30mins done before the actual 20min effort.
That was just the recording from the Wattbike, I did a warm up before although not as long as yours.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 20:30   #9
Bambaata

Best of luck with the year ahead, sure with all that swimming you might as well through in a weekly run or two and stick in a triathlon ;-)

Ive joined pool again after years away, what amount of time do you intend putting into the pool each week?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:53   #10
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambaata View Post
Best of luck with the year ahead, sure with all that swimming you might as well through in a weekly run or two and stick in a triathlon ;-)
That's not even funny
Quote:
Ive joined pool again after years away, what amount of time do you intend putting into the pool each week?
About 3 hours a week (1hr*3times) in the pool with an open water swim once a fortnight.
14-01-2019, 10:13   #11
CramCycle

Week 2 down, better than week one.

Possibly over doing it slightly as I feel a bit run down but have had alot on in work and home so maybe just real life. Annoyed to hear the Wexford 2 Day is off, which means the only race I can realistically target as a 2 day is the Gorey 3 day . To be honest, this is a stretch as I would have to enter and get upgraded but I'll go for it anyway. These are the races I have before then, so basically need a minimum 5th place in all of them, DW Open Race, Newbridge GP, Lucan GP, Des Hanlon. The first is probably not realistic as its the first race of the season and likely to be lunacy at only 45km. I like Newbridge, and held onto the breakaway last year for a good bit, lost them bridging the climb after I had led them up Boston Hill , need to get some more hill work in before then. Lucan GP rarely makes for a race that has a get away but it will be a good test to see if I do or do not have a sprint in me as that's the way it always ends. Must remember not to fly off the front before the roundabout like I do every other time on that course. Des Hanlon I don't know well enough. I like it but have never finished anywhere near the front so lets hope for the best.

Positive notes:
- Down another kilo already so just at 82kg
- Staying off the booze this week was very easy, my plan of not having it in the house worked wonders and didn't seem to bother me

Negative notes:
- Feeling run down, so hope its just that time of year as I don't feel I have over done it yet
14-01-2019, 11:31   #12
Taxuser1

how long is your commute and what are you doing on it ? are you doing weekend spins as well? when is/are your rest day(s)?
14-01-2019, 11:34   #13
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxuser1 View Post
how long is your commute and what are you doing on it ? are you doing weekend spins as well? when is/are your rest day(s)?
Commute is 17km e/w, which will get longer as the weather improves and the evenings and mornings brighten up. I don't tend to cycle at the weekends, due to family and getting other stuff done.
Rest days are essentially the weekend. Although occasionally I have to take a vehicle for work which means I only do the commute 4 days a week.
14-01-2019, 11:49   #14
Taxuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Commute is 17km e/w, which will get longer as the weather improves and the evenings and mornings brighten up. I don't tend to cycle at the weekends, due to family and getting other stuff done.
Rest days are essentially the weekend. Although occasionally I have to take a vehicle for work which means I only do the commute 4 days a week.
sort of the same myself. if its any use to you, keep mixing cadence in and out and never go below mind Z2. five minutes high, five minutes low as traffic lights allow. benefited me no end.
14-01-2019, 15:03   #15
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxuser1 View Post
sort of the same myself. if its any use to you, keep mixing cadence in and out and never go below mind Z2. five minutes high, five minutes low as traffic lights allow. benefited me no end.
Cheers, have been trying that, getting as high a sustainable cadence as possible between lights on the N11. Its a pain in the ass when you get a green though as you get no break

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion