Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-01-2020, 08:57   #16
TRS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
Congrats on the Elf (#3)!! Two months off work, maternity?
Thanks. She is 9 months on Thursday so feels like part of the furniture already

A client was due to start a big project in May/June last year and then delayed it because of Brexit so suddenly looked very quiet in work for a couple of months. I threw out the suggestion of taking July & August off as Parental leave and they went for it! Took the two older ones out of day care and spent a lot of family time together. Was a bit tight money wise however was one of the best things I have done.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 10:30   #17
Jude13

One thing I miss about Europe, proper leave. I was entitled to 1 days leave upon the birth of a child and spent much of that day on the phone.

Having 3 Elves, I can't imagine it. Though I thought that when I had elf 1, now there's an 11 month old elf 2.

Last edited by Jude13; 07-01-2020 at 10:36.
Thanks from:
07-01-2020, 12:49   #18
TRS30

Quote:
One thing I miss about Europe, proper leave. I was entitled to 1 days leave upon the birth of a child and spent much of that day on the phone.

Having 3 Elves, I can't imagine it. Though I thought that when I had elf 1, now there's an 11 month old elf 2.
Yes, we should consider ourselves quite lucky in that regard. I know from talking to people who work in other parts of the world that don't have anywhere near the annual, maternity, parental etc leave that we get here.

To be honest, going from 1 to 2 was a bigger adjustment then 2 to 3 imo. My wife mightn't agree though!!
15-01-2020, 09:55   #19
Graces7

It was my first Secret Santa and I loved it. ( mine is the knitted play mat on the thread! ) Wanted to find a way to thank the forum for all the support especially when we lose beloved pets. and the sharing of the joys our pets give us) This seemed ideal and should have been
NB I would have been happy simply to give and not get anything. It was the giving that meant all .

I was shocked and saddened at the way the posts went then and would never take part again unless that were safeguarded... as I have said on the thread.

It is a great idea if well managed. ie total anonymity

Quote:
After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.
15-01-2020, 09:59   #20
Graces7

There was no mention of names; well the pets were named! The postman must have thought I was crazy getting a parcel addressed to Boycat! And mine went off to the named cats I was gifting. Never knew the name of the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 14:18   #21

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the forum this year - good fun and good ideas.

I'd avoid the Secret Santa like the plague. I've seen them up close for years. You'll never please everybody, people will go over the spending limit while others will cheapskate it or give poor quality homemade items that nobody could value or want. There will be novelty items that offend and, if you're serious about it, more hassle deciding on a suitable gift when already busy with Christmas. To cap it all, we get enough at Christmas anyway.

A big thank you to all who gave life to the forum.
(6) thanks from:
16-01-2020, 03:08   #22
Graces7

Replying to Jude, to the post I have quoted at the end of this post.

It makes me incredibly sad to read this, ie to take abuse of
a great idea as an indication that the idea itself is bad!

Secret Santa is magic. It was my first encounter and truly great. It has all the true elements of Christmas; the giving, the planning, the secrecy and enchantment of all of those things. Everyone loves getting a gift.. ) my family do not do gifts so this made it very special)

And easy enough to plan ahead a little?

Any idea/scheme is only ever as good as the current participants; it had been very very good on the pets forum and was so well organised. I loved it! Made me incredibly sad to read of the abuse of the idea later. I posted that I will take part again IF it is tidied up to avoid what happened, That would be very easy to do with a simple safeguard, and folk here are as honest as the day! They really are. and so well motivated.( I am not really a "Christmas person" but I stayed around as the zest and enthusiasm are contagious!)

Just was so bad that this happened but it can be set right.

I remain sure that on THIS forum, which is just about the best motivated and supported and best organised forum on the whole of boards, Secret Santa would be totally brilliant! And I would certainly support it and participate fully as I did this time.

Please do not discount it because of abuse of it? For me it was a way to thank the kindness of folk there.

I will miss it.

Quote:
After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.
16-01-2020, 09:52   #23
Sundew

Folks just wanted to post a big Thank You to all the participants on this forum. Whilst I was unable to do much posting due to a pretty crappy few months
( a lot of family stuff & health issues).I got a huge boost from pouring over many of the great posts on here. I really enjoy my little Christmas “ fix” every day!
16-01-2020, 09:54   #24
CheerLouth

Hope you are on the mend now, Sundew And a much better year in store for you this year, fingers crossed.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2020, 09:59   #25
Sundew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerLouth View Post
Hope you are on the mend now, Sundew And a much better year in store for you this year, fingers crossed.
It’s shaping up to be better then 2019! I’ve ordered a few Christmas ornaments from Etsy and U.S to start the year off!😎
(4) thanks from:
16-01-2020, 14:24   #26
Posy
Warm and cosy

Glad to hear it, Sundew.
Thanks from:
16-01-2020, 21:16   #27
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundew View Post
It’s shaping up to be better then 2019! I’ve ordered a few Christmas ornaments from Etsy and U.S to start the year off!😎
You started the year off good!!

I hope all is well in your clan and you’re on the mend!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion