Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My €100m BEAM scheme

• 12-07-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Thought it deserved a thread of its own as it was taking over me beef price.

My reading so far is that the farm must reduce its nitrates per farm as opposed to reducing the nitrates per ha am i reading this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Base price

epfff wrote: »
    Thought it deserved a thread of its own as it was taking over me beef price.

My reading so far is that the farm must reduce its nitrates per farm as opposed to reducing the nitrates per ha am i reading this correct?
    Yep, I'm reading it that way also as per the link from the IFJ that I posted in the beef price thread https://www.farmersjournal.ie/100m-beam-scheme-are-you-eligible-for-the-beef-aid-payment-478620
    Although I see another IFJ article since that appears to question/put the stops on the proposal - maybe I'm reading it incorrectly https://www.farmersjournal.ie/100m-beef-scheme-another-fund-needed-to-cover-ongoing-losses-478773

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

From my reading if i was to get 1000ha extra ground next year and enter into this scheme i will still have to reduce the amount nitrates i produce.
    Hmmm think i will need to read this one a few times

From my reading if i was to get 1000ha extra ground next year and enter into this scheme i will still have to reduce the amount nitrates i produce.
    Hmmm think i will need to read this one a few times
    According to the IFJ article - "The Irish Farmers Journal understands that exporting slurry or renting additional land will not be counted as a reduction in total nitrogen output".
    I presume you can buy the 1000 extra hectares and you won't have to reduce your nitrates :D
    I doubt that this is a done deal as the Irish Government has to send these proposals to the European Commission before the 31st of July - they may not accept them or there could be amendments before that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I imported slurry last year. If that slurry was equivalent to 10% of the nitrates of my own herd could I keep my numbers and just not import this year?

I imported slurry last year. If that slurry was equivalent to 10% of the nitrates of my own herd could I keep my numbers and just not import this year?
    TBH I would wait until the finer details of the scheme are announced as it may change before been ratified by the EU Commission on 31st of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Base price wrote: »
    TBH I would wait until the finer details of the scheme are announced as it may change before been ratified by the EU Commission on 31st of July.

Joe Healy was on earlier that they are lobbying to get the exclusion of dairy farmers overturned as its unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭High bike

Joe Healy was on earlier that they are lobbying to get the exclusion of dairy farmers overturned as its unfair

Next thing will be give Larry and the feed lots a slice of the pie ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

Base price wrote: »

Do dairy farmers want the 5% reduction?
    Do i want the 5% reduction?
    Will there be a knock on effect to my carbon/stocking rate/nitrates quota that might be set in near future?
    If their is poor uptake which i can see happening due to the smaller numbers guys not wanting hassle What will happen to reminder in pot.

This has a few turns yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Do dairy farmers want the 5% reduction?
    Do i want the 5% reduction?
    Will there be a knock on effect to my carbon/stocking rate/nitrates quota that might be set in near future?
    If their is poor uptake which i can see happening due to the smaller numbers guys not wanting hassle What will happen to reminder in pot.

This has a few turns yet

Yeah it has a long way to go yet.
    There was a good article in the indo yesterday with a breakdown of numbers. It was very interesting, 28,000 herds killed less than 10 cattle and only over 2000 herds killed more than 100. I presume this is the September to May period that is being spoken about and this was the prime cattle kill.
    I would also presume that none of these 28,000 herds will buy into the scheme so that will leave 7 million unclaimed.
    If you say that the 10-20 cattle men won’t buy into it either that’s an extra 14 million unclaimed. So a 1/5 of the money mightn’t be used up.

When You think about it the fund was to compensate farmers for the poor beef prices from the effects of brexit. Were the poor beef prices over the winter because of brexit? I wouldn’t think so. More so because we had too many finished cattle and factories took advantage. So really it’s subsiding Larry. Brexit will be the next mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

High bike wrote: »
    Next thing will be give Larry and the feed lots a slice of the pie ffs

The dairy farmers on the National Livestock Commitee and the National Dairy Commitee itself will make sure that IFA looks after the dairy farmers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭50HX

Just reading the rag there on this..

Is it a one off payment??

Do you have to commit to 5% nitrates reduction for 2 years then

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

I Think the way they came up with way it was paid out was a load of s---.we buy in 150 calves a year and along with weanlings and cattle to finish we would have well over 200 at any one time.All these were down 200 a head last year and with the drought it cost us a fortune to feed them.All our cattle were killed before the sep deadline at a bigger cost as with no grass we had to increase our ration to finish them,and we are not entitled to nothing.Some joke.all we have now is 17 cattle and wont be buying any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭tanko

50HX wrote: »
    Just reading the rag there on this..

Is it a one off payment??

Do you have to commit to 5% nitrates reduction for 2 years then

Yeah, it's a once off payment (until next years Brexit crisis i suppose).
    I don't know how the 5% nitrates reduction works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭kk.man

pat73 wrote: »
    I Think the way they came up with way it was paid out was a load of s---.we buy in 150 calves a year and along with weanlings and cattle to finish we would have well over 200 at any one time.All these were down 200 a head last year and with the drought it cost us a fortune to feed them.All our cattle were killed before the sep deadline at a bigger cost as with no grass we had to increase our ration to finish them,and we are not entitled to nothing.Some joke.all we have now is 17 cattle and wont be buying any more.

I killed 28 cattle in time line for the payments (I thought killed more). I killed cattle in July and August due to the drought that would have been kept over till Sept. When you look at it in detail it really is a bailout for the winter finisher.

I'm only getting into cattle numbers and this 5% reduction is something I'm very suspious about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭amacca

Heard the details of this was announced today and we can apply in third week of August......presume it applies to cattle sold through the mart also?

From the document it looks like its only animals presented for slaughter...does that mean you had to bring them to the factory and any sold through a mart are not eligible?

amacca wrote: »
    Heard the details of this was announced today and we can apply in third week of August......presume it applies to cattle sold through the mart also?

From the document it looks like its only animals presented for slaughter...does that mean you had to bring them to the factory and any sold through a mart are not eligible?
    Only cattle that were slaughtered are eligible. Also dairy farmers with less than 40 cows who finished cattle are included.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/final-details-of-100m-beef-fund-announced-482246

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Anyone else find these schemes vaguely insulting?? 40 per suckler cow-ffs! I know money is money but I’d prefer to get paid what my animals are worth as opposed to propping up the factories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I am not in Bord bia so I presume I cannot apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I am not in Bord bia so I presume I cannot apply?

I think Glas or BDGP scheme could get you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

L1985 wrote: »
    Anyone else find these schemes vaguely insulting?? 40 per suckler cow-ffs! I know money is money but I’d prefer to get paid what my animals are worth as opposed to propping up the factories!!

Live old horse and you'll get grass.
    Honey round your lips but none on your tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Sugarbowl wrote:
    I think Glas or BDGP scheme could get you in?

Not in either missedthe education element of BDGP and was kicked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Not in either missedthe education element of BDGP and was kicked out

I think if you apply to join the bord bia quality assurance scheme you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭tanko

I sold four cows in the mart which were killed shortly after.
    Am I right in saying i get nothing and the lads that got them killed get €400?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dairy farmer here sold 30 cows to the factory in Dec January do I qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Dairy farmer here sold 30 cows to the factory in Dec January do I qualify?

Not if you have over 40 cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭High bike

They can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned, being dictated to enough already do the bdgp scheme, as someone else said pay us a fair price for our cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

tanko wrote: »

As far as I know it's only paid on prime cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭josephsoap

‘To qualify for payment, farmers must reduce the production of bovine livestock manure nitrogen per herd by 5%.

The target period for the reduction will be between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.

The 5% reduction will be based on a reference period from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.’

In plain English does the above mean if I calved 20 suckler cows in 2018, does this mean I have to get rid of one cow between July 2020 and 30 June 2021 in order to qualify for payment? Is there any other ways to reduce nitrogen manure ?

tanko wrote: »
    If it was bought by a dealer then they don't qualify - "Animals controlled by factory or dealer/agent herds will not be eligible for payment"

• Advertisement

As far as I know it's only paid on prime cattle.
    I thought that as well but reading the article that I linked from the IFJ it says -
    "The aid will be paid on all adult cattle slaughtered between 24 September 2018 and 12 May 2019, at a rate of €100/animal up to a maximum of 100 finished animals per herd"

Advertisement