Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Log Cabins in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

this one beside me is a two bedroom fairly big the guy plans on renting it out as a home, he already has one built and rented out for 11 years beside it. thinking of putting one up myself and renting it out. he said 30k would have it almost rentable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dickie10 wrote: »
    this one beside me is a two bedroom fairly big the guy plans on renting it out as a home, he already has one built and rented out for 11 years beside it. thinking of putting one up myself and renting it out. he said 30k would have it almost rentable

They are not exempt from planning and someone else getting away with it doesn't mean you will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

a lot of people around me putting up log cabins that are kind of bought flat pack and put together on site. none of these have planning permission is this ok to do?

The are glorified garden sheds. As long as the meet the exemptions for garden sheds they are fine. If they are being used for habitable purposes then they are in breach of the planning and development act and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Gumbo wrote: »
    The are glorified garden sheds. As long as the meet the exemptions for garden sheds they are fine. If they are being used for habitable purposes then they are in breach of the planning and development act and illegal.

Whats the chances of the law being enforced though? Especially with the current housing crisis. A neighbour of mine has one that somebody is living in and I know of two others nearby.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

zac8 wrote: »
    Whats the chances of the law being enforced though? Especially with the current housing crisis. A neighbour of mine has one that somebody is living in and I know of two others nearby.

High, if someone puts in the right complaints. Unauthorised development, building standards (they can't meet them) and/or rental standards (they won't meet them) if rented.

Most getting away with it cases are because nobody has made an official complaint and there is no casual enforcement of most of those rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All it takes is somebody to query it to the local authority and the sheds are gone at the owner’s expense, along with the rental income and the homes of the people who had been paying it.

Is that loop one of the topic completed. We can just start going around again?

endacl wrote: »
    All it takes is somebody to query it to the local authority and the sheds are gone at the owner’s expense, along with the rental income and the homes of the people who had been paying it.

Is that loop one of the topic completed. We can just start going around again?

Thread is 16 months old - I suspect we're on loop five or six!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

L1011 wrote: »

Most getting away with it cases are because nobody has made an official complaint and there is no casual enforcement of most of those rules.

Agree with this.
    Enforcement is very lax in Ireland.
    Enforcement would be far simpler if the suppliers of the log/steel/fast erect kits were directed to seek sight of planning before selling anything over 25sq mtrs.

That's not going to happen, and indeed many of the suppliers will offer "compliance" advice that's skirting the law and leading to many believing they can live in their sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lads these are not sheds , there fully finished two decentish bedrooms,living area, small kitchen, small bathroom and hot press. same as a two bed apartment pretty much exactly like that. i heard if its up and lived in over 7 years, theres nothing council can do. He has his first rented about 9 years now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks if you want to discuss ignoring the planning laws, take it somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

lads these are not sheds , there fully finished two decentish bedrooms,living area, small kitchen, small bathroom and hot press. same as a two bed apartment pretty much exactly like that. i heard if its up and lived in over 7 years, theres nothing council can do. He has his first rented about 9 years now

Regardless they are not legal for habitation, without planning permission, as it stands. 30k is a lot to gamble. Enforcement crackdowns are an essential part of planning law.

The council may not be able to enforce planning at that stage, but they can absolutely fail it on rental standards. They do not meet building regulations either

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I've had one for years without issue. Don't mind the negative people on here.
    Show me one case of one being ripped down. Will be in for war if coming near me.

Mod Note.

Do not promote illegal activity in this forum.
    Consider this an on thread warning.

The bottom line is that the use of these structures without planning is illegal.
    There are many examples of people having to vacate them, and not only that, because they choose to fight the system, they are also hit with the legal costs.

Telling people to ignore the law is all well and good from behind a keyboard.

Check out courts.ie or send an FOI to Dublin City Council or another authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I've had one for years without issue. Don't mind the negative people on here.
    Show me one case of one being ripped down. Will be in for war if coming near me.

Mod Note.

Do not promote illegal activity in this forum.
    Consider this an on thread warning.

The bottom line is that the use of these structures without planning is illegal.
    There are many examples of people having to vacate them, and not only that, because they choose to fight the system, they are also hit with the legal costs.

Telling people to ignore the law is all well and good from behind a keyboard.

Check out courts.ie or send an FOI to Dublin City Council or another authority.

You are missing the point entirely.

I'm not doing anything illegal. There are easy ways around a controlling gov, your property, your decision.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

there will be no further warnings. Suggestion that planning laws can be ignored will result in an instant ban.

Do not reply to this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You are missing the point entirely.

I'm not doing anything illegal. There are easy ways around a controlling gov, your property, your decision.

Freeman of the land rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AoifeBrid55

I would love to hear more positive stories of people who managed to successfully get a log cabin in Ireland and still have it :D

I would love to hear more positive stories of people who managed to successfully get a log cabin in Ireland and still have it :D

There aren't going to be any, basically.

By the time you get planning permission, its a house with all its coss, not a cheap log cabin anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

You won't hear their stories on here but there are hundreds, if not - thousands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

They are not exempt from planning and someone else getting away with it doesn't mean you will.

Had a hollyday in Cavan 2 years ago at a hollydaypark full of them
    Google logcabins in Ireland and you will be surprized how many there out there to been build as a home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

There aren't going to be any, basically.

By the time you get planning permission, its a house with all its coss, not a cheap log cabin anymore.

There are plenty but they won't shout about it cos they don't want to draw attention to themselves. I know 2 couples living in them for 5 years plus and are getting on great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Google logcabins in Ireland and you will be surprized how many there out there to been build as a home

I don't think anyone is surprised that a lot of people ignore planning regulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've spoken to numerous people in my locality (Laois) and all have been refused per to errect log cabins on fully serviced sites with full planning (for standard) build. For some reason, local authorities have become very anti log cabin. I get safety concerns but surely with a housing shortage and cabins a fraction of build cost, it just seems very odd.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

There are plenty but you won't hear them on here unfortunately. Do whatever you think yourself, boards will never allow discussion on getting away with it even though you will.

Holiday accommodation has different planning requirements.

People breaking the law to build them illegally is not a subject for this forum.

If this thread continues to be 'you'll get away with it' style posts, it'll be closed and never come back

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Loads of people do. The use them as garden rooms, home offices…

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've spoken to numerous people in my locality (Laois) and all have been refused per to errect log cabins on fully serviced sites with full planning (for standard) build. For some reason, local authorities have become very anti log cabin trailer park. I get safety concerns but surely with a housing shortage and cabins a fraction of build cost, it just seems very odd.

fixed your post for you

we do not want /aspire to / need trailer parks in ireland

It's a long thread, so apologies if it's been discussed, but can anyone tell my why planning would be an issue in the first place?

I suppose what I'm confused about is, at what point does a garden shed become a log cabin? or is it nothing to do with size/style and more just to do with the intended use (presumably wanting to live in it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It's a long thread, so apologies if it's been discussed, but can anyone tell my why planning would be an issue in the first place?

I suppose what I'm confused about is, at what point does a garden shed become a log cabin? or is it nothing to do with size/style and more just to do with the intended use (presumably wanting to live in it)?

If you sleep in it, it needs planning basically. The reason they don't get planning is they don't meet building regs, and to bring them up to regs it would just be cheaper to build traditionally.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its absolutely everything to do with use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement