Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pokémon Go - Gen II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

The babies are pretty much an irrelevance to me. I wanted to finish the gen 1 dex and this lack of double candy and shorter buddy distance means four are a distant dream. I may not last long in the game now

Anything you need, I'll trade you when it comes live! (if it comes live)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

My parents already think I'm mad. There's 2 gyms between their house and my sisters so naturally enough I wanted to walk home. I took them both and by the time I walked to the second which was 5 minutes away the first one was gone again. Walked in the door and the second one was gone to the same 2 people.

Christmas morning should be funny

Me: I'm just popping over to the church
    Them: For mass???
    Me: Um, yeah, let's go with that story (4 pokestops nearby)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Irishbrick wrote: »
    Free incubator a day makes me doubt this, I think everyone should have one by the end of this event!

Single use incubator though, when you have 9 egg spots. Plus, you have to clear out your existing eggs first. Who knows. I'll be happy if there genuinely is an increase in the chance of hatching them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

hdl wrote: »
    Irishbrick wrote: »
    Free incubator a day makes me doubt this, I think everyone should have one by the end of this event!

Single use incubator though, when you have 9 egg spots. Plus, you have to clear out your existing eggs first. Who knows. I'll be happy if there genuinely is an increase in the chance of hatching them anyway.
    Actually good point, but I still expect at least one to hatch from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Onthecutout325

I hoarded all those pidgeys etc for nothing !? Niantic Shnakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Interesting encounter this evening with a phantom player. Just took over a gym, was still standing by it when gym turned red. Not a soul around, the place was deserted. Needless to say said player was quickly reported. First time that's happened to me

So I'm on the Luas and somehow I set one of my Lucky Eggs going. "Bollocks", I think, better go on that evolving spree now.
    In the middle of evolves, somewhere around Smithfield, I just so happen to nab myself a wild Chansey! Wasn't in my sightings or anything, just sprang up out of nowhere. She's not very powerful (CP 413) and her IV's suck, but she's my Chansey, and therefore the best Chansey. And thanks to the lucky egg I got bonus XP for her too.

Also used my evolves to get a Christmas Raichu now. :D Hoping it'll impress my 9 year old nephew.

Now up to 108 of the original dex. Only need 5 more Diglett candies for Dugtrio and am over 80% of the way towards enough candies for Blastoise and Nidoqueen. Currently walking with Graveler, one candy every kilometer should hopefully see me get Golem before too long.

On the downside, not all of my evolves went according to plan; my first ever Gyarados ended up with Bite and Twister, and what looked like a very promising Starmie got landed with Tackle and Power Gem! >__<;

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This guy always gives good, unbiased reviews of whats happening with PoGo, rather than the bland appraisals you can get elsewhere
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/12/23/pokemon-go-reveals-its-unique-rewarding-year-end-holiday-event-at-last/#4fb4e4ec4000

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Woah good info in that link 60 minutes lure and increase in bulba, squirtle and charmander is great too still haven't caught that flaming bugger. I have seen more ponyta and omanyte in my area in the past two days. Still loads of rats and birds, kill them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

It's been a good week...

And this despite being sniped by InsaneMaster84 after training up a friendly gym. Git.

404633.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

AMGer wrote:
    Interesting encounter this evening with a phantom player. Just took over a gym, was still standing by it when gym turned red. Not a soul around, the place was deserted. Needless to say said player was quickly reported. First time that's happened to me

Whats the likely outcome there? what's to stop me reporting you for the same? Surely it's my word v yours? What's to say I wasn't standing beside you when you lost the gym and reported me out of frustration. What's to say you were even there at all? Wondering how niantic could possibly police it. I'm curious more than anything as I appear to be getting a lot of soft bans lately. I'm not sure is it due to the fact I have game open when driving or is it because iv recently started taking alot more interest in gyms and being in multiple ones people are getting arsey and reporting me.

dbagman wrote: »
    Whats the likely outcome there? what's to stop me reporting you for the same? Surely it's my word v yours? What's to say I wasn't standing beside you when you lost the gym and reported me out of frustration. What's to say you were even there at all? Wondering how niantic could possibly police it. I'm curious more than anything as I appear to be getting a lot of soft bans lately. I'm not sure is it due to the fact I have game open when driving or is it because iv recently started taking alot more interest in gyms and being in multiple ones people are getting arsey and reporting me.

Never reported before, and I'm not one to get 'arsey'. Like I said I literally took down the gym, rotated the screen and it was gone. There were no cars around, no people, dead silence accept for my wtf! There are one or two trainer names I suspect of being cheaters in Waterford but this is the first one I can say for sure was 'caught in the act'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonder if Bulbas, Charmanders and Squirtles will be a popular as the halloween mons? I've been walking a Charmander for a month.

On a more positive note, I churned through all the evolves I had saved in expectation of an Xmas double XP event. Managed to squeeze in three lucky egg runs for about 230,000 XP, so level 33 is within sight. Might even level up with a good day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

AMGer wrote: »
    Never reported before, and I'm not one to get 'arsey'. Like I said I literally took down the gym, rotated the screen and it was gone. There were no cars around, no people, dead silence accept for my wtf! There are one or two trainer names I suspect of being cheaters in Waterford but this is the first one I can say for sure was 'caught in the act'

If you took it down how could they take it back? As the attacker you have 30 seconds to put a Pokémon on the gym before anyone else

matrim wrote: »
    If you took it down how could they take it back? As the attacker you have 30 seconds to put a Pokémon on the gym before anyone else

Yeah, took it down, put my Pokémon in, split second later went back into the map and rotated it, gym was gone. Not sure why I'm getting grief here. Maybe you guys are at it aswell? Cheating = not cool

I'll say it a third time, I was there, you couldnt even hear a mouse fart it was that deserted. Nobody else around. Spoofer caught in the act.

AMGer wrote:

Ah don't get me wrong mate I'm not suggesting for a second you're not legit. Just wondering how they could possibly police which are genuine and which are false players. Barring actually being in a given spot how could they know who's where and when? I mean can i go and report you right now once I have your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Ah don't get me wrong mate I'm not suggesting for a second you're not legit. Just wondering how they could possibly police which are genuine and which are false players. Barring actually being in a given spot how could they know who's where and when? I mean can i go and report you right now once I have your username?

Reports from multiple people? Or maybe it causes them to take a closer look at the account activity

I've definitely seen spoofers too. Similar story to above, gym changing hands with no one nearby. I was near glasnevin cemetery after it was closed. I couldn't reach the gym from the road and could see that there was no one around but it still got taken down and changed team.

I mean can i go and report you right now once I have your username?

Absolutely you can, but I'm saying it's not something I'm in a habit of doing. I know and I think we all know how close you need to be to a gym to battle or train it up, you need to be on top of it. I was on top of it, if that other trainer took it legitimately I would have been able to see that person. I was alone :)
    In hindsight, probably not something I needed to share on here.

AMGer wrote:
    Absolutely you can, but I'm saying it's not something I'm in a habit of doing. I know and I think we all know how close you need to be to a gym to battle or train it up, you need to be on top of it. I was on top of it, if that other trainer took it legitimately I would have been able to see that person. I was alone

But that's my point entirely. I could go and report you with no reason whatsoever. So do you then get a ban? Niantic aren't to know if you were or wernt at that gym today. There's nothing to stop me saying I took it and no one was nearby and give them your name. I didn't realise until recently how easy it was to cheat at this game. Basically all you need is to download an app. Has made my interest in it really drop off. Play legit and spend money on coins only for someone that could be house bound for all I know to trump all your hard work in gyms from their sitting room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I believe you, AMGer. We all know how close you need to be to a gym to interact with it. Once you get out of the city centre (and even sometimes within) it's easy to determine if anyone's within range or not. You'd swear gyms were typically next to apartment blocks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'll take anything for free, but this promo doesn't make me overly excited. Once you have your first spin of the day, there's no incentive go on the hunt. I reckon I'll keep the single use incubators until I can pop all at once on my current 5k inventory.

One curious point is how the previous reference to an increase in ice type spawns hasn't happened. It makes me think that they have have changed direction in how this promo was originally planned.

But that's my point entirely. I could go and report you with no reason whatsoever. So do you then get a ban?

I don't know, I can't answer that. I would hope people don't report other users out of spite but I'm sure it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1 incubator per day is a bit of a balls for anyone living outside of town. I only get near a pokestop 3 - 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FaceCake

Reporting people doesn't do much. There is a red chap around my way who I saw do a similar thing to what AMGer described. I saw my gym getting the "attack" effects above it right after I claimed it. It was the viking hut in the botanic gardens. Quiet enough for a even for a weekday morning. I looked around the back of the hut to check for any ninjas with their phones out. Not a soul, so I sat on a bench and waited to see the name of this ghost when he put his pokemon in. Sure enough it was this one chap I have seen around (not physically) for a while, putting his selection of 3000+ CP dragonites to the top of every gym in the area for as long as I can remember. Meanwhile the rest of us were cobbling together vaporeons or whatever we can with decent CP to stick in a gym at that point in the games life.

He could also somehow take the gyms in the gardens and adjoining cemetery despite them closing their gates in the evening. Upto that point I hadn't reported him. I wasn't that bothered and I suppose he could have been a nightshift gravedigger who also happened to already catch 10 dragonites and also worked in the botanic gardens and still had time to take gyms even in the pouring rain.:pac: But once I saw him at it with my own eyes I reported him. Yet he still continues on today. So yeah reporting doesn't do much.

Sorry for the essay I'm just completely fed up with cheaters. Especially when they swoop in behind you after you take a second gym and start taking them back. Makes it impossible to get a decent amount of coins around here. I've grown an irrational hatred towards this guy. At one point I was only attacking gyms if he was in it. Regardless of its level, no matter if I already collected that day. I was just sick of his crap.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Eirebull

We are in the arse end of beyond for the next 10 days with not a Pokemon, stop or gym within a 10 min + drive. In two minds about this event. Seems very weak for a Christmas special but incubators will work well here as we do a lot of walking and not much to catch. Will just have to drive to stop to pick it up everyday though which is a bit ****e. Was hoping for ice Pokemon and reduced candies have all the starters with just Dratini needed. Ah well. At least we know. The suspense was killing me!

Well for those wondering about ice pokemon for xmas.....caught a lapras wild in dun laoghaire this morning. Only ever seen a shadow once. Coincidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Eirebull

Hmmm that's interesting dbagman. DL is normally a regular spot for me but now down West and not even a weedle in sightenings!

We have finally made it to level 30 so have four incubators going. Fingers crossed for something fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Back at home for Christmas and it's fairly slim pickings. There's one gym and one Pokestop in a 5km radius from my parent's house and I've had the gym since I landed. Seems like everyone nearby has given up - can't blame them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I'm in the back arse of nowhere for christmas, game can't even locate my gps location. Well, ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement