Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell me about christmas in Ireland (admin update in post 89)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

:( Im going down there on the 1st December specifically for the Christmas markets - where is the authentic market so I can hit there also?

head down the main street of the town (shop street). When you hit the turn off at Griffins bakery (on the left), just look to your right - the authentic market is right in front of you (behind Bank of Ireland and Tigh Coli bar). Much better than the rubbish in Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

mathepac wrote: »
    And you're only here a week!! Well done Rachel, (? from rach-in-eire) you got most of that right, even Shtephense's day except fillums pet, fillums; they were called fillums until Uncle Gaybo of the Geansais renamed them "films" and all them fecken Americans landed here and they became movies overnight ... oops, sorry, Fr. Jack started early :o
    Haha I've,actually been here three years now!! Going to be my third Christmas in Ireland!!

Ps I hate when people say fillum drives me mad!! I've slowly started to Americanize my husband on a few words- he says movies instead of fillums and soda instead of minerals hehe!! Much to the displeasure of his mammy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Rachineire wrote: »
    Ps I hate when people say fillum drives me mad!! I've slowly started to Americanize my husband on a few words- he says movies instead of fillums and soda instead of minerals hehe!! Much to the displeasure of his mammy! :D

i hate when people say "movies". :D

Haha two sides of the same coin there! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aw damn now I've got tears in my eyes!
    I'm so happy for your Dad! :D

If you're heading to Galway for a day from Mayo, you'll probably pass through my town. Stop in for a cup of tea if ya want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

amyfitz91 wrote: »
    He wants to bring us all to Brown Tomas? and pick out gifts because apparently its amazing during the holidays and it was his ambition when he was younger to buy something there for his family for the holidays if he had the money.

Ah, that had me in tears, it really did.

By the sounds of things your father has made a wonderful life for himself, great career, caring family, plus the swimming pool in sunny California! He'll be a proud man buying your gifts in Brown Thomas :)

Hope you all have the most amazing time over here. Please keep us updated in the run-up to the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

What about pictures?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

caff wrote: »
    What about pictures?

De pitchers is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Just read your post. I'm from Mayo and the things you describe, I could have written your post myself. I hope you have a fantastic trip. I think that the thing that sets an Irish Christmas apart from any other is "family & friends".
    I'm in my late 40's (I'd say around your Dad's vintage). During my lifetime I can recall about two or three white christmases so don't be disappointed if you don't see snow. There are some predictions of a cold spell around then.
    The days are short at that time of year. Sun up is around 8.30AM and sunset shortly after 4pm. Cold and damp is more normal type of weather so bring lots of warm clothes!!

I'm not a particularly religious person but do attend Christmas Eve Mass. Start time is now 7 or 8 pm, it used to be a Mid-night Mass but they changed the start time because you sometimes got people with a little drink taken attending! The atmosphere is always special, the anticipation and excitement of the children is palpable! Most people get together with their families after Mass.

Christmas morning is special. Sometimes it can be an anticlimax but when you look back at the day its always magic.
    St Stephen's Day (26th) is another big day. In our family we all go to the pub around 4pm. We have 3 or 4 drinks meet all the people who are home for Christmas, then return home around 7pm and have a big family dinner again.

Thank you for posting because your post made me think how very lucky we are here and just how special an Irish (Mayo) Christmas can be. I hope it lives up to your expectations and do PLEASE update us on your time spent here.

Your Dad is one lucky man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 amyfitz91

I cannot believe that I'm going to be in Ireland this time next week. I initially thought be were leaving here on November 27th to arrive on the 28th but we are actually leaving on November 26th to arrive the 27th. I'm so stoked and excited to fly out on Monday. We had a fun thanksgiving but all dad could think about was that his next holiday dinner will be at home in Mayo with his family. I'm excited to see my cousins over Christmas. We're really close with me being in Ireland almost every year and them coming to Cali often.
    I've pretty much packed and dad is working a lot so he'll be packing last minute Monday evening before we leave for the airport. I'm up in the middle of the night talking on Skype to each of my cousins writing lists for what they'd like. I'll be hitting Abercrombie, hollister, mac and a bunch of other stores in the mall later for them! We're all paying for an extra case to bring all their stuff.
    I'll write another update soon. My granny has told me that it's crazy cold in mayo at the moment and there's a chance of snow this week. This has gotten my sister and I ridiculously excited!
    Again thank you so much for the amazingly friendly replies to this thread. It's built up my excitement so much!

Amy

Pack your thermals Amy!! Jack Frost arrived last night for a visit and it is COLD today! Safe journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

I have been reading this thread from the start and it really has brought a tear to my eye a number of times!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas here in Ireland :D

Oh and you will LOVE Brown Thomas im sure! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Pack your thermals Amy!! Jack Frost arrived last night for a visit and it is COLD today! Safe journey :)

-2 degrees is warm.:P

You need to toughen the skin and body up so more.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Amy have a fab trip. I think this is one of the nicest threads. Really.

Please update us when you get home, I'll be dying to hear how you all got on.

Looking at the weather now, you are going to be freezing! Big coats, comfy warm boots, hat, scarf, gloves. Loads of lip balm too!

While you're here and freezing, imagine that on every Christmas Day and St. Stephens Day some people go for a swim in the sea to raise money for charities! Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amyfitz91

Well it's morning time here in Cali and I am running round my house with total excitement! Dad has just returned home from a night shift and mom is helping him pack. My sister and I are popping out to the mall in a bit to buy yet more makeup for my Irish cousins. We also have four iPad minis to pick up, all requested by my aunts and uncles as gifts for my cousins! It's crazy to think I'll be seeing them all tomorrow. Once I get home from the mall we'll be leaving for the airport where we'll fly to London, then to Dublin where we'll be greeted by my very excited grandparents. Granny texted me this morning (it's ridiculous how tech savvy you get when your son lives half way across the world) to tell me that she was getting all my dads favourite foods in and will be baking the things she always baked on Toyshow night! I think she's almost more excited than we are.
    So! I guess this is my last update before I arrive back in Ireland. I'll try to post as soon as I can once I arrive in Ireland and her jetlag has worn of a little! I hope you guys are beginning to get in the Christmas spirit. I know I am!

Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Best of luck and safe trip to y'all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Have a safe journey and most of all enjoy your stay, its sounds like you will all have a fab Christmas together!

Safe journey Amy! (And family!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Boards meet up in the airport tomorrow???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Aw Amy have an awesome trip! Your granny sounds lovely and I am so happy for you all!! Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Amy & family, just wanted to say safe trip, and thank you for bringing a smile to my face (I'm usually a Christmas Grinch!) I totally concur with Whispered, this is possibly the sweetest thread I've read on boards in a long time!
    Have a fantastic time here, I hope ye get at least a white few days at some point!xx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

itac wrote: »
    Amy & family, just wanted to say safe trip, and thank you for bringing a smile to my face (I'm usually a Christmas Grinch!) I totally concur with Whispered, this is possibly the sweetest thread I've read on boards in a long time!
    Have a fantastic time here, I hope ye get at least a white few days at some point!xx

Well while it certainly is frosty and cold today, I can't see us getting snow this year! Although I'd love it if we did! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This story is becoming famous:

thejournal.ie

Well done everyone! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

nice to see something positive reported on:D

Can't wait to read more updates on Amy & her family.

Hope you all have the best time ever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Admin

We're verifying some of the information in this thread, which will be re-opened in due course. Thanks in advance for your patience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Folks, I hate to do this, but it has to be done.

This thread came to the attention of the admins earlier today due to the positive story. Unfortunately it quickly became clear to us that the story may not have been true. We investigated and ultimately discovered that this was the case.

We have identified the original poster, who is a psychology student in Ireland. He has admitted to us that he is doing a college project on the emotions that Christmas evokes. His position is that he believed he was not doing any harm with this thread, which is a believable position. We have asked the original poster to come back to this thread and post up a full disclosure of the background and his intentions here which you will see below.

This does have the potential to be a very interesting study of psychology, but perhaps not in the way they originally intended.

Christmas is a magical time, and it was a difficult decision for us to make in deciding to "out" this, but given the possibility that people might travel to the airport, and the desire to be open and honest, we had to call a halt to this story.

amyfitz91 wrote:
    Dear Everyone,

Unfortunately this thread has gotten out of hand and the response out of proportion. The truth is that I am a psychology student. I was told a story very similar to the one above last year that actually did occur and my response was emotional as was the response of everyone else that heard it. For this reason I decided to do a project this year on the effect of Christmas spirit on people's emotions and decided to use boards.ie as my medium for interpreting the response of a complete stranger to hearing such a story. Your response was amazing and proved that Christmas spirit really does bring out the best in people. I do feel awful about how it's grown out of proportion but feel you should all know. The event did happen last year for a family in a part of Ireland and I just thought that it would be of no harm to carry out my project and also spread some Christmas cheer. I did not intend to hurt or upset anyone and was not expecting such an unprecedented response. So to all you lovely people, I am extremely sorry.

I will reopen this thread shortly to give people the right to reply. Please try to keep things civil.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thread reopened.

• Advertisement

...quite the downer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement