Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men’s fashion faux pas that annoy you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Runners with suits.

that's another one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Wearing a scarf as a fashion accessory with those stupid big knots. Especially those that keep wearing them inside.
    Like this fool for example
    men-scarf-red-stripes-bamboo-chenille-fairtrade.jpg

Sunglasses at night or fashion glasses with clear lenses, no shading - what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

spray on jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'Blingey' extra large watches worn by those who often wear chains or bracelets too. Terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

skinny jeans on lads who look they should could play in a scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

6. Football jerseys on adults. Full stop.

Fair enough in the pub for a match or having a kickabout, in any other setting it's Fr Dougal getting ready for bed time.

Casual friday, when people go from suit and tie to track suit / jersey
    I mean, why not work in pjs from home all together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Fair enough in the pub for a match or having a kickabout, in any other setting it's Fr Dougal getting ready for bed time.

No fair enough. Football jerseys should only be worn if you are playing on the team.

Square top shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

loafers with no socks.
    bell bottom jeans.
    black shoes and blue jeans.

urgh...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Mic 1972 wrote:
    Casual friday, when people go from suit and tie to track suit / jersey I mean, why not work in pjs from home all together?

That's a protest for making me wear suit 4 days a week.
    One of the reasons for moving jobs for me was shirt and tie rule. Who comes up with this bs.

Yourmama wrote: »
    That's a protest for making me wear suit 4 days a week.
    One of the reasons for moving jobs for me was shirt and tie rule. Who comes up with this bs.

i hate suit and tie too, casual is my fav. But when casual becomes "i'm not gonna bother" then i recommend work from home :D

Buttoning all the buttons on a suit jacket

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

4. Short sleeve shirt and tie combo- should be a criminal offence. You just look like a middle aged book keeper or manager at Super Value.

But Sipowitz does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

copacetic wrote: »
    But Sipowitz does it.

Hey man if that is the look you want..knock yourself out..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Hey man if that is the look you want..knock yourself out..:D

sipowicz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Bootcut jeans with shiny shoes....or just bootcut jeans in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Skinny jeans on young guys still seems to be as common as they always were, even though for the last two years the top end catwalk shows have all gravitated towards wider / looser trousers.

They say it does take 2 / 3 years for trends to go from the catwalk to the high street but I can't see these dudes ditching their skinny jeans for 26" flares (I remember these being popular in the early 90s).

I've a really nice pair of light cotton navy trousers that I got in Cos, really really wide all the way down. I've only worn them once or twice in the summer as I'm sort of hesitant to go in that direction! I don't wear skinny jeans btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

white socks, black shoes - need I say more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Runners with suits.

I don't think this is a faux pas anymore, rather than fashion has changed and people aren't changing with it (myself included). On the M&S site, for example, some of the models are wearing a suit with runners, and M&S aren't exactly known to be cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

sandals are fairly sh1te in all their forms, but please, if you have to wear them please dont wear them with socks. (Im sure I got the punctuation wrong there)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Bootcut jeans with shiny shoes....or just bootcut jeans in general
    I agree with bootcut with shoes or runners but nothing wrong with bootcut when are in fact wearing boots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No fair enough. Football jerseys should only be worn if you are playing on the team.

Get a petition going, we march on all the sports shops at dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They say it does take 2 / 3 years for trends to go from the catwalk to the high street but I can't see these dudes ditching their skinny jeans for 26" flares (I remember these being popular in the early 90s).

I've a really nice pair of light cotton navy trousers that I got in Cos, really really wide all the way down. I've only worn them once or twice in the summer as I'm sort of hesitant to go in that direction! I don't wear skinny jeans btw.

People won't ditch them, as such. They'll go to buy new jeans when the old ones get tatty and the styles available in shops will have changed. IT's hard to buy flared jeans for the last 5 years (I'd imagine).

Of course the style could change as drastically as 26" flares. Fashion changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Skinny ties, skinny jeans and the new phase of wearing suits that are just too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Sh*tty rental tuxedos. I hate them with a deep passion.

Clip-on or pre-tied bowties in general.

Not tailoring suit jackets even a little bit - the main culprits tend to be too long sleeves and folks wearing jackets the wrong size in general.

totally agree, after 4 years of wearing rentals 1/2 a year, i finally spent proper money on a fitted tux and the positive comments and remarks I get now about the look are fantastic.

clevtrev wrote: »
    sandals are fairly sh1te in all their forms, but please, if you have to wear them please dont wear them with socks. (Im sure I got the punctuation wrong there)

Wearing any sandals or flip flops, unless you are beside or near a body of water, is a major faux pas. There's a father who drops his kid off to school in the morning wearing flip flops...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I love clothes, I love fashion but if you have to make sure every time not to wear sandals in wrong neighbourhood or button up the jacket when cold, what's the joy in that. It's just a set of rules to exclude people who don't conform.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I love clothes, I love fashion but if you have to make sure every time not to wear sandals in wrong neighbourhood or button up the jacket when cold, what's the joy in that. It's just a set of rules to exclude people who don't conform.

There are certain ground rules that apply no matter what your taste.

Advertisement