Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Working as an auditor for an insurance company, salary is mid 70s incl bonus, 10% pension contribution, phone, use of company car but dont pay BIK thankfully.

Started 10 years ago in a call centre earning €20k, did some exams, made the right moves at the right time and made some good connections. All going well in the next three years I'll have gained a compliance qualification and will have earned some niche experience so will be looking towards 6 figures hopefully.

I'd recommend insurance as a career tbh. You dont need any qualifications for entry level positions and if you have a bit of cop on you can get a qualification in a couple of years and move into an insurer. The amount of different avenues is huge, from sales to underwriting or compliance. A commercial underwriter with 4 or 5 years experience would be looking at €60k base upwards. If you have a flair for sales broking can be very lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm a data analyst and I get 42k. 6 years experience. I hate my job as a result.

That’s awful for your qualification, is there any other jobs you could apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm a data analyst and I get 42k. 6 years experience. I hate my job as a result.

You should be on double that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

About 130k per year as a consultant in a fairly nichey area. I sometimes wonder if I'm worth it. But - then I stop wondering and head back to my heart-attack-by-my-40s-job.

Edit: worked my ass off to get here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Can I ask what tech you are using? I’m a JavaScript developer with 14 months experience under my belt. I’d love to try contracting in a few years.

I'm working on .Net (C#) at the moment but it varies from job to job. Previous role was Angular.

One thing I would mention is that you have to do what you are asked in this game. That can drive some people mental. I've had to implement some awful stuff in my time as a contractor. I would have shot it down in a few minutes when I worked as a PSE but I have to plug away with it as a contractor. Food for thought for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Do you want the figures i give to revenue or do you want me to include the cash amount as well op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You should be on double that

Data Analyst titles have become a catch-all term for all sorts of jobs but the kind of work I think you are thinking of that pays very well in most cases is more Data Scientist work which is more complicated than just reporting or modeling the data. That said it does seem on the low end for the years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wow, depressing. Im on a sh*t salary it seems. Fcukin do engineering they said. You'll be rich they said.

By the looks of things i could have saved myself a whole lot of effort, done some bullsh!t arts degree and just been a pleb teacher and after im done babysitting a class full of turds i vould be home by fukin 4pm every day. Sweet pension as well.

Ah well. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Honours computer science degree and 25+ year experience in solid software development, the last 20 years in Java/J2EE.

€97k basic, health insurance, matches 5% pension contributions.
    Fairly standard Dublin salary in I.T. with that much experience.

But you won't get that staying with the one employer or they'll only pay you 1-3% pay rises "in line with inflation". So you need to ditch employers every so often for proper market rate rises.

We've some fairly useless "senior engineers" with a degree and a couple of years experience on €65k too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

Sky King wrote: »
    Wow, depressing. Im on a sh*t salary it seems. Fcukin do engineering they said. You'll be rich they said.

By the looks of things i could have saved myself a whole lot of effort, done some bullsh!t arts degree and just been a pleb teacher and after im done babysitting a class full of turds i vould be home by fukin 4pm every day. Sweet pension as well.

Ah well. Live and learn.

What type of engineering are you working in, how much experience, and what salary range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

I think you missed the joke there.

I think that might be an age thing; the conversation that joke refers to happened back un the 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I could imagine the tax man looking at the figures internet people say they earn then the figures they really earn and laughing.

I’m a plumber but I’m only on the building site or in this house to help a friend out and I am not charging for the help. I’m a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whole lot of spoofing going on in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Data Analyst titles have become a catch-all term for all sorts of jobs but the kind of work I think you are thinking of that pays very well in most cases is more Data Scientist work which is more complicated than just reporting or modeling the data. That said it does seem on the low end for the years of experience.

My role is rather varied.

I'm the sys admin for our BI platform as I'm the most technical in the team and had some experience with Linux before. I'd also do ETL development on our platform, write SQL packages, and do some modelling, along with automated jobs.

It's not a data scientist role (although starting to do small things there and I have Python experience), but more a data analyst/business intelligence analyst/sys admin role combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Arts degree in Maths and post grads in Business Management and Data Analytics.

I’ve about 12 years work experience with 3 12 month breaks spent travelling.

Currently working as a Pricing Manager for a MNC, total package is about €67K, I’ve been doing that almost 2 years and ready for a change but the work is easy so not too motivated to actually leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

Do you want the figures i give to revenue or do you want me to include the cash amount as well op

Hahahahaha both please!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

I did three years in plc college with childcare and Montessori qualifications. Preschool teacher. 5 years experience, work 40hrs per week and on 22,500 gross per year!

As I'm not in my 20's anymore, seeing all these wages are depressing me!!

Edit to add: standard 20 days hols plus all bank holidays in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Write code for a trading team from home 600gbp per day to me, I think I could find more with a bit of work, take very little holidays maybe 10 per year, so about 140 gbp. Would like to do something else but I can't ignore the money for now.

Edit:

Education: ba + msc theoretical physics
    Exp: 9 years
    No benefits, contractor
    45 hours per week
    Work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Pharmacist with 6 years exp €94,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I find teachers pay varies, a friend of mine was a teacher for years in a Dublin primary school, now shes the principal and on 85k+

Seems an awful lot for a principal?

I am studying a TV/Media production course next year, Bachelor 3 year course.

Does anyone know what sort of wages you would be on? For example an Editor/TV production person,

The camera crew jobs seem quite low, although maybe that depends where you're based. Obviously the goal would be to get into somewhere popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Job: CEO at Full time mad bastard
    Salary: nun of ur bizness

Same here. Was fortunate enough to walk straight into the job shortly after graduating from the School of Hard Knocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I find teachers pay varies, a friend of mine was a teacher for years in a Dublin primary school, now shes the principal and on 85k+

I know a retired secondary principal whose final salary was €120K, seems like a lot but he had 120 odd people to manage and over 1000 students.

Seems to have been good at it you, respected by teachers, students and the wider community.

I know a retired secondary principal whose final salary was €120K, seems like a lot but he had 120 odd people to manage and over 1000 students.

Seems to have been good at it you, respected by teachers, students and the wider community.

I suppose when you think of it like that it makes sense actually, the responsibility alone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are you talking about primary or secondary teachers

Same pay, same basic payscale.

Principal gets regular teacher pay plus allowance.

Allowance depends on size of school, I think.

Geuze wrote: »
    Principal gets regular teacher pay plus allowance.

Allowance depends on size of school, I think.

https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/common-basic-scale-wef-1110.5776.html

Max principal allowance is 41,469.

Max teacher pay is 64,302.

So very few principals on 100k.

One thing I'd love about being a teacher would be the hours and the holidays. I know you'd probably spend a bit correcting etc but still

Probably a very silly question but how long does a person usually stay in college for to become a primary school teacher/secondary school?

I work in position where I get to see how much a large amount of people earn.

Either boards has a very high percentage of the top earners or there's a lot of bull**** being typed here

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

In Finance, 5 years PQE accountant. €110k basic, 20% on top. Its definately about moving every so often (2-3 years optimal in my view) in the early part of your career. First move went from 40k to €55k basic, second went to €72k from €59k basic and third went from €92k to €110k.

Financial services a good place to be if looking for decent salary although I moved out of it recently.

• Advertisement

One thing I'd love about being a teacher would be the hours and the holidays. I know you'd probably spend a bit correcting etc but still

Probably a very silly question but how long does a person usually stay in college for to become a primary school teacher/secondary school?

Typically 4-6 years.

Advertisement