Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

CBR 250RR '99

€912 TP, 1st provisional, 26 male Wicklow/dublin, its a hell of a lot cheaper that what I was paying for a 1.6 mirage and that was with 3 years no claims on a full licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

ZZR400 '95

TFT €580 Carole Nash, 36yo, 1 yr full licence, 1yr NCB. Louth.
    Last year on a prov it was €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Yamaha Virago 125 2001
    5 yrs no claims on a moped
    25 yrs of age
    Provisional A licence

TP
    Carole Nash - 645
    AON - 475 (And for an extra 25 quid I can have my 'ped covered too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Just got my renewal notice from CN. Quite a drop and it seems they've put me on a different scheme "that best suits my needs".

I notice it stipulates No Pillion. Didn't the law change in this regard recently with increased premiums accross the board as a result ?

Honda CB500
    4 years ncb
    34 y o
    Full A

TPO €329

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Canaboid wrote:
    I notice it stipulates No Pillion.
    Hmmm.....I don't know if they can do this. Compulsory minimum insurance covers pillions. Perhaps they stipulate no pillion so that if you do crash with a pillion, that gives them the right to chase you for all costs they've had to pay to the pillion. Weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Canaboid wrote:
    I notice it stipulates No Pillion.

...Seamus is right........they can't say this. It is an EU-mandated legal requirement that pillions are covered. iirc it came in in...........1999??

You need to remind them of this. In writing. I'm not even sure that they can put the caveat on the policy that they can then chase you for the costs in the event of a pillion claim.

Because you're buying legally-mandated cover, then, if the law states the pillion must be covered, then they cannot effectively say 'well you're not actually insured, but we'll pay out and then get you afterwards'....for that is what they're saying. Because by doing that, they're saying that they are not exposed to the risk. This being the case, then what they are selling you is not insurance - it's more like a loan. Sorry, I'm not buying that, btw........

I'd challenge that too. And if you get guff from them, report them to the Ombudsman, the MIAB, and the relevant govt department.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

oh, and btw, the courts have already ruled on this - they have to cover pillions. However, if you're a provisional licence holder, then they CAN go after you, as you are not licenced to carry the pillion, and so are in breach of contract........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Guys CN have a new cheaper catagory that doesn't cover pillions - like the way you get a reduction for a 1 seater bike. You can opt for this or take the cover that does cover pillions too.....i think......

Personally, it's academic as I never carry or ride as a pillion passenger.

Nonetheless it's clearly stated on my policy renewal notice, which is nice and cheap, so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'll be driving six years in January, have full no claims and a full A licence for over 2 years and I'm 23.

Bandit 600 (Group 5) AON: 1200 ish cant remember the exact number

Rang CN today enquiring about a Pan European and they would not quote me, they said I needed more experience and to call them back in a year. I asked directly if it was to do with my age and he would not give me a straight answer.

Rang AON and the quoted me 2496 TPO for the Pan (Group 9) and 1780 for a Deauville 650 (Group 7)

• Advertisement

"More experience". Fs...... :mad:

tk123 wrote:
    Guys CN have a new cheaper catagory that doesn't cover pillions - like the way you get a reduction for a 1 seater bike. You can opt for this or take the cover that does cover pillions too.....i think......

sorry tk, but that's exactly my point...you can't opt out of pillion cover. It is a legal requirement, laid down by EU directive and subsequently transposed into Irish law.

It has subsequently been found by Irish courts that NO insurance company can state that pillions are not covered, by dint of the way the law was transposed. If CN don't believe it, then all they have to do is to phone our good old friends in Hibernian in Dawson Street.........and they'll find out the courts have already found against the insurance companies on this issue.....

Ode To The Motorist

sorry galwaytt i didn't know that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

05' Piaggio NRG 50cc, 22 yo male
    With AON thru AXA...
    1 Year no claims
    Full Licence 569euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

tk123 wrote:

I read somewhere that this insurance is possible but the bike must have been manufactured with no pillion provision ( ie you cant alter it yourself)
    and there was very few bikes like this - some crazy expensive Ducaiti.
    I will try to find more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

how old does the bike have to be in order to get classic insurance ?

Are there any restrictions - age/licence type ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I'm 37, been riding about 10 years or so with no claims at all, in Dublin. Now on a Triumph ThunderBird Sport, which is a category 9 bike I think.

Hibernian cost 860 comp, and 515 TPFT. CN was 920 or so initially but they brought it down to 860 when I told them that was Hibernian's quote. Their TPFT price was strangely high at 750 for some reason so I just went with Hibernian.

Insurance has to be renewed next month so rang AON a few times today but no-one answered so be curious to see where I'm at now with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

art wrote:
    I'm 37, been riding about 10 years or so with no claims at all, in Dublin. Now on a Triumph ThunderBird Sport, which is a category 9 bike I think.

Hibernian cost 860 comp, and 515 TPFT. CN was 920 or so initially but they brought it down to 860 when I told them that was Hibernian's quote. Their TPFT price was strangely high at 750 for some reason so I just went with Hibernian.

Insurance has to be renewed next month so rang AON a few times today but no-one answered so be curious to see where I'm at now with them.

OT but I've noticed that most days when I rang AON, it took about 3-4 calls before someone answered..
    It's not like they don't earn enough money to pay an appropriate amount of staff, so are they just lazy, or is there not enough of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

delanest wrote:
    how old does the bike have to be in order to get classic insurance ?

Are there any restrictions - age/licence type ?

The bike needs ot be 15 years old, you need a full licence and be 25 or older, as I was told the last time I asked CN. I think there might be a mileage restriction too but I don't know if it is enforced, and I think you need MAG membership.

To update on the "no pillion" insurance from CN. The situation is that when you take the policy you agree to not carry pillion passengers. If you have an accident with a pillion passenger on board they will payout for the pillion (and 3rd party) but your insurance is null and void for everything else due to you being in breach of the policy agreement.

• Advertisement

Ah, so it's on Comp. policies only?

No, my policy is TPO. Sorry if I've confused the issue. The CN rep I spoke to said if you have an accident while carrying a passenger you are legally uninsured and are open to prosecution for driving uninsured as you are in breach of the terms of your policy. They will still cover injury to the passenger in line with EU law.

Ah. But they will cover 3rd parties...weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

'02 Vespa PX200
    Male, 31, Waterford
    Full A, 4yr NCB

AON: 255 TPO
    CN: 237 (no pillion), 390 (pillion) TPO

I never asked AON about the pillion thing, as I rang CN after them , and that was the first I heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Iri$hKeLt

Heh,

Im thinking getting a 80cc NSR but looking to get a competitive quote. I live in the country in (Co. Monaghan) 19 years of age under provisional licence. Can any of you recommend a insurance company for me please? As long as insurance is under 2000euro i'll be happy enough but if i can save a extra few quid :D

Im going to ring AON Monday morning, Is there any more I should contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 keithogixer

Age 24
    Bike : - GSXR 1000cc K3
    Full Licence & 2yrs no claims
    Class 11 or 12 for insurance
    Price of Insurance **FREE Fully Comp**

got initial quote for bike and it was over 5K from Hibernian & Rang CN they said they wouldn't quote me because I was to young and to cut along story short I accused them of age discrimination and about 4/5 months later to shut me up they gave me fully comp insurance for freeeeeeee.

Keitho....

COooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!

Wait till you get stung next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Jabari Scrawny Neurologist

Age 24
    Bike : - GSXR 1000cc K3
    Full Licence & 2yrs no claims
    Class 11 or 12 for insurance
    Price of Insurance **FREE Fully Comp**

got initial quote for bike and it was over 5K from Hibernian & Rang CN they said they wouldn't quote me because I was to young and to cut along story short I accused them of age discrimination and about 4/5 months later to shut me up they gave me fully comp insurance for freeeeeeee.

Keitho....

I read the article about that in the star a few months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kang

last year:
    bike:TZR 50
    NCB:1
    Licence: Pro
    Town:Dublin

CN:1240
    HB:840

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement