Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way for an unemployed Irishman to get work to live in England?

• 01-05-2018 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. Not here to tell you my entire life story but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be the fattest and easiest way to get employment to get employment in the UK. I'm 32 I've no practical experience as I've never and was out of education since 10. Tried a level 5 qqi course recently and it was too difficult for me. I'm just sick of Ireland. Never travelled. I'm desperate to get out of here. I feel trapped and powerless to do anything about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Get some kind of qualification or skill and apply for jobs in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Hi. Not here to tell you my entire life story but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be the fattest and easiest way to get employment to get employment in the UK. I'm 32 I've no practical experience as I've never and was out of education since 10. Tried a level 5 qqi course recently and it was too difficult for me. I'm just sick of Ireland. Never travelled. I'm desperate to get out of here. I feel trapped and powerless to do anything about it.

Plenty of work in construction over in the UK.
    Hard work but it pays decent, start as a labourer for Bricklayers and put an effort in then maybe try to get on the trowel. You could easily make £1000 plus per week as a Bricklayer in the UK or 600 to 700 as a Bricklayers labourer.

Plenty of driving jobs over there too.

You have to apply for a National Insurance Number first, you should be able to do it in Northern Ireland or the UK but it takes a couple of weeks to process. You then might need a UTR Number if you work self employed. Loads of information on the UK websites.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quadrivium wrote: »
    Plenty of work in construction over in the UK.
    Hard work but it pays decent, start as a labourer for Bricklayers and put an effort in then maybe try to get on the trowel. You could easily make £1000 plus per week as a Bricklayer in the UK or 600 to 700 as a Bricklayers labourer.

Plenty of driving jobs over there too.

You have to apply for a National Insurance Number first, you should be able to do it in Northern Ireland or the UK but it takes a couple of weeks to process. You then might need a UTR Number if you work self employed. Loads of information on the UK websites.

Are you thinking of the UK quite some years ago? There is very little casual employment available as the domestic economy is falling off a cliff in every way. There are construction jobs aplenty in Ireland by comparison.

Also the OP was asking well over a year ago.

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the UK quite some years ago? There is very little casual employment available as the domestic economy is falling off a cliff in every way. There are construction jobs aplenty in Ireland by comparison.

Also the OP was asking well over a year ago.

I'm talking about now. The economy is booming in the UK, I think you're listening to too much of the scare mongering nonsense in the media. Rates for Bricklayers has gone up from £160 per day to £210 per day just in the last 3 years. There is loads of work, they have 3% unemployment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're delusional if you think the economy is booming in the UK.

Entered recession three quarters ago if stockpiling is removed. Retail sales off a cliff. Unemployment rate shored up by part time precarious work, record numbers dependent on welfare to make up for paltry wages.

Anyone stupid enough to take your advice will be on here asking how to get a plane fare home in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There will be great work opportunities for Irish people in the UK after Brexit

Think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Register with some employment agencies. If your willing to graft and do the jobs the Brits wont do themselves, I'm sure there will be a job for you somewhere.

You're delusional if you think the economy is booming in the UK.

Entered recession three quarters ago if stockpiling is removed. Retail sales off a cliff. Unemployment rate shored up by part time precarious work, record numbers dependent on welfare to make up for paltry wages.

Anyone stupid enough to take your advice will be on here asking how to get a plane fare home in November.

Far from delusional, I'm talking from first hand experience. Any property, construction, legal, finance or lower skilled person could literally go to the UK tomorrow and have a job within a week. That's a fact. Better pay and conditions than in Ireland too.

Better pay and conditions than in Ireland too.

You haven't got a clue.

What is your 'first hand experience', precisely?

You haven't got a clue.

What is your 'first hand experience', precisely?

It's you who hasn't got a clue. I have several construction contracts in and around London.
    I've had work over there since 2015 and the offers for more work have increased month on month and are still going to this day.

What's yours?

• Advertisement

It's you who hasn't got a clue. I have several construction contracts in and around London.
    I've had work over there since 2015 and the offers for more work have increased month on month and are still going to this day.

What's yours?

"contacts" are not first hand experience.

You do not know what you are talking about. The UK domestic economy is in ribbons and only a fool would move there looking for an unskilled job when you can get one in minutes in Dublin.

You are trying to fight data - economic figures, % of people in precarious work, take-home earnings figures and so on - with anecdote at best.

"contacts" are not first hand experience.

You do not know what you are talking about. The UK domestic economy is in ribbons and only a fool would move there looking for an unskilled job when you can get one in minutes in Dublin.

You are trying to fight data - economic figures, % of people in precarious work, take-home earnings figures and so on - with anecdote at best.

You appear to have a problem with basic comprehension. I said CONTRACTS not contacts.

I've worked there for years. The economy in the UK is booming, you must not have relevant market skills so you're assuming it applies to everyone.

The wages and conditions in Ireland are crap despite the recession being over years, not to mention the astronomical cost of living, rent etc. the UK is 10 times better in every way.

Your posting history indicates you have worked in security (not construction) and are looking for entry level driving jobs in Ireland. I do not believe you have any experience in this at all and are possibly doing a total Walter Mitty on this.

The UK is in an awful state and has entered recession - the exact opposite of "booming". You may have convened yourself of something else but it does not tally with reality.

The OP is more likely to find unskilled construction jobs in Dublin than in the UK - you are giving awful "advice". The best thing anyone can do is ignore you.

Your posting history indicates you have worked in security (not construction) and are looking for entry level driving jobs in Ireland. I do not believe you have any experience in this at all and are possibly doing a total Walter Mitty on this.

The UK is in an awful state and has entered recession - the exact opposite of "booming". You may have convened yourself of something else but it does not tally with reality.

The OP is more likely to find unskilled construction jobs in Dublin than in the UK - you are giving awful "advice". The best thing anyone can do is ignore you.

I am a Bricklayer by trade. I made a significant sum of cash in the UK over the last 4 years working as a Bricklaying sub contractor. I still have lads working over there now, so much that I can explore other career avenues.

The self employed driving was to tide me over until I decided what I would do. I am starting a masters next month which will be full time and fully funded by some of the profit I made in the UK. I plan to go into a totally different career, all made possible by the money I earned in the UK. I'd stay over there full time only for the battle axe won't have it.

The UK is booming particularly in construction, you obviously have some sort of horse in this race to be pushing such nonsense. I can name 2 Facebook groups where there are ads for Bricklayers and Hoddies every day. Bricklaying Jobs UK and Elite Bricklayers. Go and look for yourself. You don't know what your talking about, you're trying to talk down the UK because you're some sort of Europhile, I can see no other reason. You haven't offered a shred of evidence.

The self employed entry-level driver stuff was 3 months ago, not four years ago. Walter Mitty.

You are trying to defy the actual UK economic figures. Facts outweigh Mittyism.

One such advertisement for labourers as follows:

*McLaren Resourcing*

*We need the following labour:*

*X2 Blue Cscs Bricklayer to start in South London*

£20 per hour
    9.5 hour days

Please call Andy - xxx xxxxxx

Thanks
    Andy

You won't get a labouring Job in Ireland paying €23 per hour.

And thats3very low pay for the UK, particularly London. I pay lads £215 per day for an 8 hour day.

Anyone with a skilled CSCS card is not entry level. You are desperately googling for stuff you don't understand.

The UK is in ribbons and only an idiot would listen to a Mitty telling them there's streets (or sites) paved with gold when they have no training and no skills

And another one, I'm removing the phone numbers for obvious reasons.

Bricklayers and hod carriers wanted in Ashford Kent

8 Years work One week in hand paid every Tuesday

FOOTING WORK

I DONT PAY FOR DIGS IF YOU DONT LIVE NEAR OR IN ASHFORD AND ARE NOT WILLING TO TRAVEL

THERE IS NO NEED TO COMMENT OR APPLY

Must have CSCS card hard hat, steel toe boots, and viz

730 AM start 330PM Latest Finish Normally gone by 3

Bricklayers £190

Hods £125 Negotiable depending on experience

top hods paid 150+

2 PM Finish Friday full shift paid

Price work also available

Saturdays Available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Construction is booming in the UK at the moment.I have mates that went back there during the recession and the have never being busier.
    In my younger days London was the place to be for big jobs and big money but now you have plenty of work up the north of England as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This thread is a year old

• Advertisement

Anyone with a skilled CSCS card is not entry level. You are desperately googling for stuff you don't understand.

The UK is in ribbons and only an idiot would listen to a Mitty telling them there's streets (or sites) paved with gold when they have no training and no skills

Anyone can get a CSCS card, it's the same as a safe pass. You need a trade to get a blue CSCS card. Labourers get a green one.

I just posted an add iffering between £125 and £150 a day for unskilled labour. I'm correct and you're wrong, just accept it.

Anyone can get a CSCS card, it's the same as a safe pass. You need a trade to get a blue CSCS card. Labourers get a green one.

I just posted an add iffering between £125 and £150 a day for unskilled labour. I'm correct and you're wrong, just accept it.

You posted an add requiring a skilled CSCS as if it was suitable for unskilled labour.

You are literally just scrabbling for content at this stage. You are delusional. Go back to the van driving in Ireland and stop pretending to be what you're not - its not of any advantage to you.

This thread is a year old

Not any more. There's good info here for anyone looking for good pay and a change of scenery.

You posted an add requiring a skilled CSCS as if it was suitable for unskilled labour.

You are literally just scrabbling for content at this stage. You are delusional. Go back to the van driving in Ireland and stop pretending to be what you're not - its not of any advantage to you.

I'll say it once more because your comprehension is a bit slack. Anyone can get a CSCS, an unskilled one is green. Google it if you doubt me. You don't know what you're talking about and your ego won't allow you to accept you're wrong, but you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not any more. There's good info here for anyone looking for good pay and a change of scenery.

Ok.... So UK is going to be hit with Brexit and outside the EU they're trying to stop all the outside workers and it's going to mess with jobs too.

Look at all the Brits that live away from home in say Spain..... Where are they going to return to....

People are going to have to leave the UK also.

I'll say it once more because your comprehension is a bit slack. Anyone can get a CSCS, an unskilled one is green. Google it if you doubt me. You don't know what you're talking about and your ego won't allow you to accept you're wrong, but you are.

*X2 Blue Cscs Bricklayer to start in South London* .

You aren't even reading the random ads you're googling.

You are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There are certainly jobs in the uk and both "warring posters" are correct.

Economy is doing OK, but is falling back.

However due to brexit, a lot of EU casual / seasonal workers don't bother with uk now, so plenty of farm work / low skilled building work about.

Problem is cost of living in areas with these jobs is high, tax comes in at a far lower level than here and unemployment benefits are dreadful.

If you have health issues, expect 3 weeks wait to see a doctor.

Try it for a couple of months, but I suspect it won't be the promised land you thought.

And another,

5 bricklayers
    2 hod carriers (labourers)
    Required to start Tuesday 27/08/2019
    Pay rates:
    Bricklayers - £24 per hour 8.5 hours day
    Hods - £15 per hour 8.5 hours day
    Monday -Friday
    8 -12 weeks
    East Moseley KT8 9DX

Please call xxxxxxxxxx
    Allied Site Services Ltd

I have a search engine, I don't need your desperate attempts to find job ads I'll never apply for and the OP is not qualified to do.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    There are certainly jobs in the uk and both "warring posters" are correct.

Economy is doing OK, but is falling back.

However due to brexit, a lot of EU casual / seasonal workers don't bother with uk now, so plenty of farm work / low skilled building work about.

Problem is cost of living in areas with these jobs is high, tax comes in at a far lower level than here and unemployment benefits are dreadful.

If you have health issues, expect 3 weeks wait to see a doctor.

Try it for a couple of months, but I suspect it won't be the promised land you thought.

The cost of living in the UK outside London is nowhere near as bad as Ireland which economically is basically Dublin.

I had sites in Maidenhead outside London, Bricklayers making £1100 per week and rent for a 2 bed flat in town centre was only 900 per month.

Shopping, electricity and other consumables were much cheaper than in Ireland. The UK leaves Ireland in the dust when it comes to opportunities.

Advertisement