Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45353719

"Kirsty Young is to take a number of months off Desert Island Discs because she has fibromyalgia, and Lauren Laverne is to fill in for her.

Desert Island Discs returns to BBC Radio 4 on 16 September and Young will host the first two episodes with castaways opera singer Danielle de Niese and neurosurgeon Henry Marsh.

Laverne will host the third episode onwards."

Sad to hear Kirsty isn't well. I always liked her interview style on Desert Island Discs.

Huge shows for Lauren to fill, not an obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Chris Evans announced live on air this morning that he'll be finishing up his show in December, and going to another station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Newly-relegated Nick Grimshaw is back on Radio 1 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Roar wrote: »
    Chris Evans announced live on air this morning that he'll be finishing up his show in December, and going to another station.

Whiley or Mayo will take over no doubt

as long as it's not another TV celeb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Newly-relegated Nick Grimshaw is back on Radio 1 this evening.

Has Grimmy got another permanent slot? Haven't listed to BBC R1 in a while so didn't know he was given the boot until this thread. Never really warmed to him, think Greg James is a much better fit.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Has Grimmy got another permanent slot? Haven't listed to BBC R1 in a while so didn't know he was given the boot until this thread. Never really warmed to him, think Greg James is a much better fit.
    Greg took over the Breakfast slot the other week. Grimmy has been relegated to drivetime in what is a repeat of the 2004 Sara Cox/Chris Moyles swap. Personally I'd have preferred for Scott Mills and Chris Stark to have gotten the breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are looking to replace men with women as the opportunity arises. Probably Sara Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why no doubt ? Surely Sara cox is in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Now, with such a high profile vacancy created at BBCR2, surely it's time for Noel Kelly's stars to shine.
    We've been told that the RTE Top 10 + presenters must be paid these eye watering sums of money or they'll be off to the BBC, Global or Bauer.

Well, now it's time to see which of 'em will get a high profile gig on R2 or R4.

Tubridy for the R2 breakfast show? Joe Duffy or Meeriam for Desert Island Discs?

Maybe Nicky Buurrrn on BBCR1? or How about Ray D'Arcy for LBC?
    Marty Whelan for Classic FM?

Oh..wait. They're all mostly schite in an international context and would get gigs mopping the fcuking floors in these places. Good enough for the Irish plebs, though.
    Well done Noel. You are the only talented one amongst your stable of 'stars'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An Ulsterman in New York, an interesting 15 minute "spoken essay" by Nick Laird with his unique take on his native Ulster and new home:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wwtt0

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So no radio 2 breakfast show for me then going forward. I assume that Sara cox is still the stand in when the permanent host goes on holidays ? I'll listen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sad news about Mark Radcliffe....big fan of all he's done..Love his/The Shirehorses tribute to Colm Hayes "Your gormless........get well soon lad...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sad news about Mark Radcliffe....big fan of all he's done..Love his/The Shirehorses tribute to Colm Hayes "Your gormless........get well soon lad...;)

Daily listener myself. He's a lovely bloke.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Daily listener myself. He's a lovely bloke.

Met him (went out of me way to ) at a folk festival a few years back..AYS he's a genuinely nice and funny bloke..had us in stitches and was really interested in the irish scene...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

Love his show, sorry to hear the news this morning. They said he would present today so I will definitely listen back.

I guess when he returns the R&M show on 6Music will be weekend breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Congratulations to BBC management who managed to destroy the most popular drivetime show on radio in the UK while simulataneously trashing the careers of two fine broadcasters.
    Half ones all round I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hard to think of anyone who did as consistently well across three BBC Networks (1, 2 and 5 Live) over such a long period of time.

Whoever engineered that double act should be going instead.

Generous and Professional in his praise of Jo Whiley in those tweets, as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Lewis Carnie is the guilty man.
    Apparently the radio Rajars are out on Friday and will show a calamitous drop for Drivetime.

I expect Lewis to be on his way before long...too late.

Been enjoying Tom standing in for Lauren...but why do i feel like i'm cheating on her....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Been enjoying Tom standing in for Lauren...but why do i feel like i'm cheating on her....:o

I can't warm to him. Do you know that John Peel is his father?

My daily schedule now is Lauren, the previous evening's Marc Riley and Gideon Coe shows and then maybe something from the weekend schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Matt Edmondson and Mollie King are taking over the BBC Radio 1 weekend breakfast show, swapping with Dev Griffin and Alice Levine.
    Dev and Alice will move to the weekend (Friday to Sunday) afternoon slot from Friday 16th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Birneybau wrote: »
    I can't warm to him. Do you know that John Peel is his father?

My daily schedule now is Lauren, the previous evening's Marc Riley and Gideon Coe shows and then maybe something from the weekend schedule.

Yeah i knew that..maybe thats why i like his taste....and his voice is easy on the ears too....

I still think Scott Mills is too good for the 1pm slot. If Chris Moyles hadn't stayed on Breakfast for some long, he would've gotten that slot by now.

cml387 wrote: »
    Congratulations to BBC management who managed to destroy the most popular drivetime show on radio in the UK while simulataneously trashing the careers of two fine broadcasters.
    Half ones all round I think.

I clearly remember my reaction when I heard they were teaming Simon and Jo together....."WHY???":eek:

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention too the "Confessions" spot regularly had me in fits of laughter,esp when Simon and the crew dissolved into fits of laughter too
    I will particularly miss that

Advertisement