Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

• 05-12-2016 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

The Today fm ceo has announced major changes are coming in 17...Any predictions ? My guess cormac and daniella for breakfast, Chris and Ciara for mid morning and Ian Dempsey goes to drive time

Mod:

Yes there has been made some accusations against a presenter and no you can't discuss them because everything you post about the subject can, and will, be held against boards (and yourself if they decide to sue you) as libel until proven in court basically. Sucks for us but such are the laws of Ireland and unlike major news papers boards do not have an standing army of attorneys to deal with such legal cases. Hence a whole lot of deleted posts and bringing up the subject until further notice will lead to cards and bans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭prunudo

I predict they'll loose thousands of loyal listeners because some pr consultant reckons there's more money to be made from younger listeners who don't even care about Fm radio.

Maybe I'm wrong and the youth of today will start listening but they're all used to Spotify and other ways of listening to music etc. Be like trying to persuade a teenager or 20 year to buy a newspaper or magazine, they'll look at you sideways.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but watching the mess of 2fm over the last 8 years I wouldn't hold my breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The Today fm ceo has announced major changes are coming in 17...Any predictions ? My guess cormac and daniella for breakfast, Chris and Ciara for mid morning and Ian Dempsey goes to drive time

Cant see Ian getting moved at all. All the rest may change but if they move him I would say he walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

They might not be allowed to get rid of The Last Word even if they wanted to. Even though Today FM is a commercial station, it still has to abide by the regulations as laid down by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. They're not allowed to broadcast wall to wall music programs.

Anyway, why should they kill off The Last Word? It's a successful, credible current affairs program?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I could see Ian being moved to where D'arcy/Savage was, move Dermot and Dave to Breakfast and put someone else in D&D spot....please get rid of Louise Duffy or at least let her have more leeway with musical selections as the musics getting dire on her show

I've a feeling that if they gave Anton Savage the bullet, they have a heavy hitter lined up to take his place. Who that actually is, I have absolutely no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I've a feeling that if they gave Anton Savage the bullet, they have a heavy hitter lined up to take his place. Who that actually is, I have absolutely no idea.

I think the fact that they dont have him lined up would give substance to Anton's version of things. To think that they landed on their feet when D'Arcy left of his own volition, they got Anton who's fantastic... potential to be the best broadcaster in the country imo... And now they have ballsed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sideshow Cecil

I think the fact that they dont have him lined up would give substance to Anton's version of things. To think that they landed on their feet when D'Arcy left of his own volition, they got Anton who's fantastic... potential to be the best broadcaster in the country imo... And now they have ballsed it up.

I couldn't agree more, I think they've really missed the beat on this one, no way anton should have been left leave,used to have today fm on from 7 to 2:30 and back on a 4:30, as someone said in a different tread earlier what ever station anton pops up on my dial will be travelling in that direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

That's a pretty out there call.... Why would they take two sets of presenters who arent exactly pulling up trees over to host primetime shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

They won't get rid of The Last Word. It's great and a steady pair of hands in Cooper. The Chris and Ciara suggestion sounds like it would make sense but given could Today FM pay to take them over?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sufficient people in management are gone from when Foley 'left'. May be a way back in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Iano wouldnt be a bad shout for the Mid morning slot, and get some young buck in to do the morning slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'd imagine Dempsey and Cooper are pretty powerful within Today FM and not a hope they would get moved unless they want to.

Anyone expecting anything good to come from this is in for a harsh landing.

My prediction - the morning show goes to the likes of Karen Koster and or Glenda Gilson and the morning show is an "Exposé" type shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Mc Love wrote: »
    Iano wouldnt be a bad shout for the Mid morning slot, and get some young buck in to do the morning slot

I think though if they moved Ian to the mid morning slot they would lose a a huge amount of people on the morning slot and it would just be replicating the 2FM, FM104, 98FM setups.

I doubt they have anyone whatsoever lined up to take Antons place and they are going to struggle to bring in anyone similar, surely with the figures Anton retained from D'Arcy's departure he was the man to keep for another year or so. December is probably the biggest advertising revenue period for any radio station, it wouldn't have been any master plan to ditch your DJ at the start of it with nobody lined up to take over him a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

A couple of pressing things they could address before they shuffle the presenters deck and hire/fire are:

1. Change the branding. It is literally yellow pack radio.
    2. Get rid of that male voice that introduces/voiceovers EVERYTHING from station promos to show promos to id's to ads to intros to competitions, directions to the exit...
    3. Get in new production talent: Presenters always take the hit, but it's the people making the shows that are really at fault. It seems that with Today FM the same old producers and researchers are shuffled around the shows. I've lost count of the number of shows the likes of Ann, Pam, Ed and whoever else have worked on. And in a station like Today FM which like 2FM has undergone big changes in recent years, one can only imagine the amount of unhappy people working behind the scenes, dealing with such horrors as 'new management' and being left behind when a presenter leaves for a new gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hubstan

Let me get this right, Denny has bumped up the ex-CEO and APD from the basket case that is 98FM and given them a national to play around with?

I'll get the popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hubstan wrote: »
    Let me get this right, Denny has bumped up the ex-CEO and APD from the basket case that is 98FM and given them a national to play around with?

I'll get the popcorn.

Ex CEO correct and right sir. APD ? Assistant program director perhaps ? I know the ex CEO is there now an yep seems like he's putting his stamp on the place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Never really thought of Cormac and Danielle being that good to be promoted to national radio. Although Danielle seems to be more focused on her online travel series and modelling than radio - as she seems to be off a lot. Don't think Today FM would offer her the same flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Cant see Ian getting moved at all. All the rest may change but if they move him I would say he walks.

Ian is the only presenter I can tolerate on the radio early in the morning. Some awful drivel on other stations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

L1011 wrote: »
    Sufficient people in management are gone from when Foley 'left'. May be a way back in there.

Foley "left" on good terms by all accounts. The current management are actually less likely to hire him, given the current CEO was CEO of 98 during Foley's tenure there, Foley has been pretty vocal about issues with Today FM both on NTN and even on an interview on Anton's show which was cut from the website.

I'd love to see it happen, but tbh I'll believe it only when Ray is sitting behind the mic and the news is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

Actually when I heard Alison Curtis saying just after nine this morning that she was on until noon it reminded me how long a slot they have for that show.

Maybe as part of the shake-up the show times might also change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Foley "left" on good terms by all accounts.

Not going on what I've heard... although the people he had problems with were not there long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see the last word going.....

However, there have been rumours for a while now that they want to differentiate between newstalk and today fm.

People have been commenting that today fm are obliged to supply a current affairs programme as part of their regulatory agreement. Even if this is true, they might have a loop hole etc.

its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Matt transferres to Newstalk drive, possibly talking the last word brand with him. Then they can have a national music driven drive time show.

Personally, I feel that it'll be a monumental mistake but if they are prepared to let someone like Anton slip through their fingers anything is possible.

The Last Word has decent listenership figures, presumably brings in good advertising numbers and is one of the station's flagship programs. Why would they jettison that?

Anton never quite made his way into the public consciousness in the way Matt Cooper has. That was part of the problem I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I wonder what would happen if 4FM or Radio Nova approached Ian Dempsey - not offering more money but relatively free rein with his program. Would he be tempted?

I wonder what would happen if 4FM or Radio Nova approached Ian Dempsey - not offering more money but relatively free rein with his program. Would he be tempted?

To go from a successful national station to ones that only can be picked up in certain parts of the country? He'd have to be out of his mind, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

To go from a successful national station to ones that only can be picked up in certain parts of the country? He'd have to be out of his mind, in my opinion.

It's worth a thought alright.

It depends how shîty things are in today fm?

He's probably made a fair bit of money by now. Put a bit aside for a rainy day / retirement etc.

4fm despite only transmitting to only certain parts covers a vast majority of the population - nova is Dublin centric.

Saying that, the word on the street is that 4fm are seriously cash strapped and could hit the wall at any moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You'd also have to wonder how happy Ian is. He's been in the same slot for 18 years, and has been doing early mornings for what, almost 30? The show is, IMO, sounding a bit tired, and has basically become the Gift Grub Breakfast Show featuring Ian Dempsey.

I'm sure he's on a fair whack of money, and maybe he's still loving it, but maybe if you combine the obvious annoyance at management with the above, he might want a change himself?

It's a brutal business Ian's in and I'm sure Anton's not the only friend/colleague who has been given the bullet over the course of his career. Whoever was in the breakfast slot before Ian possibly felt aggrieved too.

I have wondered from time to time why he continues to work those godawful hours. Maybe he's so used to it now, he's happy to do so. He wouldn't be the worst person to put into the afternoon slot, in my opinion. The station bosses were happy to have Tony Fenton doing the afternoon show and perhaps he'd still be in situ if he hadn't succumbed to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

well the major change for me in 2017 , is that I will not be tuning into Today fm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You'd also have to wonder how happy Ian is. He's been in the same slot for 18 years, and has been doing early mornings for what, almost 30? The show is, IMO, sounding a bit tired, and has basically become the Gift Grub Breakfast Show featuring Ian Dempsey.

I'm sure he's on a fair whack of money, and maybe he's still loving it, but maybe if you combine the obvious annoyance at management with the above, he might want a change himself?

ID will retire from radio when he retires from breakfasts, and it will come in a few years time. With a little voiceover work and the odd personal appearance to supplement his nest egg, he won't want for a lot :)

Advertisement