Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Conspiracy Guys Podcasts

• 29-03-2016 10:23am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just came across this podcast, it was on the iTunes Podcast charts.

I started downloading some episodes, the first one is 9/11 and it turns out the guys behind the podcast are Irish. Not sure of they're names or where they're from but they're defintely Irish.

And even more surprising than the fact they're Irish it's actually really good. It's witty and it covers alot of different topics in good detail, I've only listened to two so far 9/11 and Sandyhook. Is anyone else here listening to them? What ye make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Loughc wrote: »
    I just came across this podcast, it was on the iTunes Podcast charts.

I started downloading some episodes, the first one is 9/11and it turns out the guys behind it are Irish. Not sure of they're names or where they're from but they're defintely Irish.

And even more surprising than the fact they're Irish it's actually really good. It's witty and it covers alot of different topics in good detail, I've only listened to two so far 9/11 and Sandyhook. Is anyone else here listening to them? What ye make?

Behind the attacks ? .... That would be a twist of events :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

weisses wrote: »
    Behind the attacks ? .... That would be a twist of events :D

Hahaha, awful typing by me there. Edited my OP hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Don't use iTunes. Got a link to a website where I can download and listen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not sure if they do direct downloads from their site but their site is,

http://thoseconspiracyguys.com

Their source material section of the site is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ive listened to 9/11 sandy hook and.boston bombings.

I enjoy them though they are long so i will pick and choose them

• Advertisement

Ive listened to 9/11 sandy hook and.boston bombings.

I enjoy them though they are long so i will pick and choose them

They are really long but I find I'm enjoying listening to them. I'm doing the same just picking the topics that interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not all their podcasts cover conspiracy theories, a recent one was on Joseph Fritzel for example. I really enjoy their show, they are long 3 hours plus in some cases but extensively researched and entertaining enough to keep you interested. I like the fact they are Irish too, it's a nice change to hear Irish voices discuss these things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins.

Are the rest of them the same?

John Mason wrote: »
    I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins.

Are the rest of them the same?

The ones I listened to went off topic and several times, I found they strayed from the main topic alot but ended up chatting about side issues more.

It can be annoying if it's a topic you're really interested in but I enjoyed some of the light hearted banter in it, and there is some geniunely funny moments. Their style kind of reminds me of Ray Foley's style on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

"I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins."

I really really wanted to enjoy these podcasts. I've tried to listen to three so far but their constant need to inject quips, smartarsery remarks at expense of actually telling the story wears thin after an hour (or ten minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

They should lose the " banter" and deal with issue. Also every episode mentions mk ultra.

Latest episode is 6 hours. Id say at least two hours is **** "banter"

I think two versions of their podcast would work well. One with just all the facts of the topic and discussion another uncut version with all the banter included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The ones I listened to went off topic and several times, I found they strayed from the main topic alot but ended up chatting about side issues more.

I just found these as well and would have exactly the same criticism. The podcasts are HUGE. And so much of it is just absolute b*ll*x. Not even like the banter on OTB, just absolute nonsense. It's like you are attending the production meeting for the podcast. Most people would have come across the podcast by googling the term "conspiracy theory", so I'm not sure why the guys think that everybody would be interested in all the rest of the nonsense.

But there is the core of a decent show there. I think they should completely cut the show to an hour in length... edit it, and cut out the nonsense and bad language. I listened to the Boston Bombing one and it was good.

Again agreed I'm currently listening to their podcast on Jesus Christ and it's 5 hours long. The first full hour was a tangent they went off on between the three of them.

65 mins in they only begin to discuss the topic and even then more banter ensures.

I think 2 versions are badly needed. A 60 to 90 min version covering The core topic and an uncut version with all the extra banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I've listened to the JFK and princess Diana ones.

I enjoyed them.

I've listened to the JFK and princess Diana ones.

I enjoyed them.

The earlier ones are the best. They were much shorter. The longer ones are just incoherent messes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Joe Rogan the UFC commentator has a good few podcasts about some "conspiracies" that are insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like that the podcasts are so long.

I've been listening to them since the start, and they weren't that long to begin with. The last one i listened to was the Vatican one, and by Jaysus, I think it was 7hrs or more.

I listen to them driving home and into work, so one podcast nearly lasts me the week.

It's good they don't hold too much back either, they don't seem to care what they say!

Just seen their season 5 promo video and in it they've mentioned fans and new listeners alike have asked for shorter episodes so they've said they're going to try to keep most episodes to 2 hours.

This is welcome news, I'm currently listening to the Mothman episode and I'm 54 minutes and they've mentioned about the Mothman once in that time and have been talking about Teenages mutant ninja turtles, lost and 1916 and a whole cast of other random things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,866 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just seen their season 5 promo video and in it they've mentioned fans and new listeners alike have asked for shorter episodes so they've said they're going to try to keep most episodes to 2 hours.

This is welcome news, I'm currently listening to the Mothman episode and I'm 54 minutes and they've mentioned about the Mothman once in that time and have been talking about Teenages mutant ninja turtles, lost and 1916 and a whole cast of other random things.

Maybe they should release the short version on iTunes and have the full show for their paying patreons

Maybe they should release the short version on iTunes and have the full show for their paying patreons

Yea I think that's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Far too long, too many in-jokes, classic case of neckbeards not being as hilarious as they think they are.

Just noticed that they have uploaded a lot of podcasts over the last few days. They seem to be just re-uploads of the same podcasts, I'm not sure why they would do this.

One thing that really annoys me is the way that the Gordon chap goes way over the top to make gratuitously flippant and offensive remarks about serious topics. Like in the JFK one, he says something like "Jackie comes in with some of JFKs brain in her hand and offers it to the medic and says 'will this help'. yeah maybe if you're making soup". I think the purpose is to shock, but I just find it disrespectful.

I noticed that he is on that Vodafone ad, the one where the guy is rewinding the goal and pulling him by the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just noticed that they have uploaded a lot of podcasts over the last few days. They seem to be just re-uploads of the same podcasts, I'm not sure why they would do this.

Think he said in the Marylin Monroe episode that he had remastered some of the old ones. This is likely why they've been reuploaded

They had their first Google Hangout live last night. True to the show itself, it lacked any real focus, lots of in jokes, and way too long. And you really want to punch that guy in the blue check shirt and glasses by the end of it. Some of the contributors seem fairly knowledgeable, but it sort of gets lost in the lack of any structure.

I've tried listening to the show again in the last few weeks, but it still suffers from the two main problems. 1) it's still waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Discussion of Area 51 was 4 hours 48 minutes. Discussion of the death of Elvis was almost 5 hours 30 minutes. Who has the time to spend 5 hours listening to a podcast? I listen to a lot of podcasts and documentaries, and none most seem to stick with the 60/90/180 minutes format. I wonder why they are trying to reinvent the wheel with this one?? And 2) The lack of focus, going off on unrelated tangents. This gets really annoying. And when they go off on some inane "banter", you really feel like saying "Oh stfu and get on with it for the love of God".

This is why the show needs to be EDITED. Again it is a pity, because the show certainly has potential. I'm just not prepared to spend five hours in their company for every show.

Again I agree with this one once again I think this podcast would benefit from a 90 min edited version and an uncut full version.

Again I agree with this one once again I think this podcast would benefit from a 90 min edited version and an uncut full version.

Did you check in with that Google Hangout I linked to. I have to say that I looked around the room, and I didn't feel great about myself. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I presume all these lads are former Boards.ie moderators? Going on about coke and hookers and the like.

• Advertisement

I presume all these lads are former Boards.ie moderators? Going on about coke and hookers and the like.

Gordon Rochford is the main guy. He was on a couple of Vodafone ads I think. He's a media student, said last night that he's finishing college this year and then going full time at the ould Conspiracy Theories... They have Patreon subscribers and he says they are making a few quid out of it. Not sure who the other guy with him is.

Advertisement