Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

honeybear wrote: »
    Agree. Very poor from ML

Unlike her, in fairness,to be caught on the hop so much.

Will be interesting to see will her ‘soundbite’ strategy change and she will become less available to the media,whereas previously she welcomed the mic.

I hear your one McInerney on Drivetime this evening.

Hmmmm ..getting the toe into Ar Tee Ee it would appear.. Late Debate an such.

Doing ok I would opine... The Bouch mightned be too pleased though !!

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Sarah mcInerney is a completely different person on the national broadcaster.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think Sarah has done well this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Different programme type and station style though in fairness. Newstalk presenters bounce the news along with their opinions. Williams, Yeates, Healy, Hook etc. act more like columnists as opposed to journalists and RTE present the news with less to none personal opinions given by their presenters.

Thought she did ok. Is she permanent now or just keeping the seat warm?

humberklog wrote: »

Different programme type and station style though in fairness. Newstalk presenters bounce the news along with their opinions. Williams, Yeates, Healy, Hook etc. act more like columnists as opposed to journalists and RTE present the news with less to none personal opinions given by their presenters.

Thought she did ok. Is she permanent now or just keeping the seat warm?
    Agree. I remember thinking that when Claire Byrne moved from Newstalk to RTE she definitely adapted her presenting style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I wonder is RTE an equal employee opportunity employer anymore with all these women presenters?

They might call it positive discrimination.

I wonder is RTE an equal employee opportunity employer anymore with all these women presenters?

I believe ‘affirmative action’ is management speak for this Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, Alan, you could dress up, literally, and try your luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Where is Mary wilson gone.

I dont like sara at all.

We need some testerone on Radio and Tv, its wall to wall women now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

honeybear wrote: »
    I think Sarah has done well this week.

She's just about adequate as a stand in.

Not of hope of her being able to carry such an important slot on a full time basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I just took a quick look through the schedule, and it appears that most Radio 1 presenters are male. It's closer to 50-50 than it used to be though, and this seems to have happened very suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I just took a quick look through the schedule, and it appears that most Radio 1 presenters are male. It's closer to 50-50 than it used to be though, and this seems to have happened very suddenly.

The word is suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

There is no such thing as 'positive' discrimination. It is just one thing only, discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

She doesn't seem to be getting the opportunity to whinge on her favourite topic: the patriarchy etc. A real victim she. Terrible discrimination she suffered, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Heard an hour or so of the show yesterday. Sarah sounded so much better than on Newstalk. Asked the questions and allowed guests to answer without the constant barking at them.

Not sure if that is learning from experience or editorial (suspect a bit of a both).

Good job.

Is it me or is it a concerted effort by Drivetime presented by Mary Wilson to shoehorn ‘women’s equality’ issues into every programme.

Tonight we had Ivana Bacik using the national airwaves to promote this stuff.

Now I am in favour of equality of course, but seems like Wilson and her Producer have taken up the baton on this.

At license payers expense.

Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Is it me or is it a concerted effort by Drivetime presented by Mary Wilson to shoehorn ‘women’s equality’ issues into every programme.

Tonight we had Ivana Bacik using the national airwaves to promote this stuff.

Now I am in favour of equality of course, but seems like Wilson and her Producer have taken up the baton on this.

At license payers expense.

Just wondering.
    Presumably your outrage is on behalf of only male (TV) license payers?

Presumably your outrage is on behalf of only male (TV) license payers?

Outrage ? What outrage?

I’m just asking a question, I think a legitimate one, should Drivetime funded by the taxpayer, be used as a platform to hawk a particular agenda ,day in day out?

Ms Wilson to me seems to be flouting the PSB concept of balance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Outrage ? What outrage?

I’m just asking a question, I think a legitimate one, should Drivetime funded by the taxpayer, be used as a platform to hawk a particular agenda ,day in day out?

Ms Wilson to me seems to be flouting the PSB concept of balance ?

It was a discussion about proposed legislation on the gender pay gap. Other media outlets are reporting it as well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gender-pay-gap-7-4093919-Jun2018/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/legislation-tackling-gender-pay-gap-published-by-government-851246.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/cabinet-approves-gender-pay-gap-bill-for-employers-1.3544793

Have you other examples of the agenda you are hearing every day? I listen for a while most days, and I haven't noticed it.

It was a discussion about proposed legislation on the gender pay gap. Other media outlets are reporting it as well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gender-pay-gap-7-4093919-Jun2018/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/legislation-tackling-gender-pay-gap-published-by-government-851246.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/cabinet-approves-gender-pay-gap-bill-for-employers-1.3544793

Have you other examples of the agenda you are hearing every day? I listen for a while most days, and I haven't noticed it.

No,I can’t specifically remember examples, but I will take a more forensic account of the incidents and annotate them here, whenever I tune in.

Tiny bit off the real topic but this morning RTE seem to shoehorn ‘equality’issues I to nearly all progs.

Usually comes as a bit of a filler or ‘wind up the show’ insert.

For instance remark about Le Garde by It Says in the Papers lady at the conclusion of the insert,and then a piece on MI about training women orchestra conductors right at the end of the program.

No problem with equality,none what so ever, but wonder who is behind all these subliminal efforts to promote this cause.

Getting a bit tired of them, to be honest, would prefer people to be honest instead of slipping in these items and thinking nobody notices.

Dee......is that you?

Just realized Tubridys last three ‘major interviewees’ were all women

Margaret Atwood, Hilary Clinton, Le Garde...... then the hoo haa over the Summer School........ anyone else see an agenda here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Mary Wilson annoys me at times with her tendency to interrupt before her guest finishes answering the question. This is especially with people who are not media trained i.e. politicians or lobbyists who are I suspect taught to use quick soundbite answers only and not to get into any detail at all.

If she has someone on who needs to make a detailed reply, she is quick to come in with another question/statement, often as they are about to get to the kernel of the answer. 2 examples I can think of is a guest who was talking about the direct provision system and another on the Public Private Partnership school building issue. Both times she tried to second guess their conclusion with some perceived 'fact' which turned out to be incorrect.

She is not alone in that, Matt (I have no interest in the Royal Wedding yet I keep talking about it ) Cooper is the same.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Mary Wilson annoys me at times with her tendency to interrupt before her guest finishes answering the question. This is especially with people who are not media trained i.e. politicians or lobbyists who are I suspect taught to use quick soundbite answers only and not to get into any detail at all.

If she has someone on who needs to make a detailed reply, she is quick to come in with another question/statement, often as they are about to get to the kernel of the answer. 2 examples I can think of is a guest who was talking about the direct provision system and another on the Public Private Partnership school building issue. Both times she tried to second guess their conclusion with some perceived 'fact' which turned out to be incorrect.

She is not alone in that, Matt (I have no interest in the Royal Wedding yet I keep talking about it ) Cooper is the same.

And you can add in Colm o Mongáin and Gavin Jennings to that list.

Tonight Thursday, Wilson very agitated on the women priest subject.

Very obvious what her preference is.

Timed at 1734.

I think Mary Wilson is a good presenter. I have gotten over her tendency to ask and answer a question at the same time.

Tonight Thursday, Wilson very agitated on the women priest subject.

Very obvious what her preference is.

Timed at 1734.
    So what? It's currently national news, actually - you listen to so much talk radio yet never heard of Jospha Madigan?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/parish-priest-sees-the-church-dying-and-praises-minister-madigan-for-taking-leadership-851534.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/archbishop-launches-astonishing-attack-on-josepha-madigan-after-culture-minister-led-prayers-when-priest-was-a-noshow-37051902.html
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0627/973655-josepha-madigan-water/

Are you seriously suggesting a ban on women-related issues on national (or any) radio? Dark Ages stuff...

There are plenty of other male issues-dominated radio shows & stations (still) to satisfy your chauvinistic views if you so wish.

So what? It's currently national news, actually - you listen to so much talk radio yet never heard of Jospha Madigan?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/parish-priest-sees-the-church-dying-and-praises-minister-madigan-for-taking-leadership-851534.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/archbishop-launches-astonishing-attack-on-josepha-madigan-after-culture-minister-led-prayers-when-priest-was-a-noshow-37051902.html
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0627/973655-josepha-madigan-water/

Are you seriously suggesting a ban on women-related issues on national (or any) radio? Dark Ages stuff...

There are plenty of other male issues-dominated radio shows & stations (still) to satisfy your chauvinistic views if you so wish.

Could I ask that you refrain from getting personal please.

• Advertisement

Could I ask that you refrain from getting personal please.
    Kindly refrain from patronising me - report my posts to Mods if my opinions offend you personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement