Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2010, 02:05   #31
VonLuck

I have an honours degree in engineering from DIT which I believe allows me to do a H.Dip in Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science.

I am not very familiar with the whole process but do I have to do a full time year long H.Dip course to become qualified to teach? A friend of mine mentioned that there was a part time course you could do while teaching (possibly substitute teaching? I'm not sure). Is there any truth to that?

Also, is it possible for me to teach Technical Drawing? From my course I believe I have much more experience in drawing than I do in all the aspects of physics but it isn't listed... Is there any way around this or was it necessary for me to have done a 3 year course in something else?

Thanks.
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 11:11   #32
readystudypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
A friend of mine mentioned that there was a part time course you could do while teaching (possibly substitute teaching? I'm not sure). Is there any truth to that?
Yes. Dublin City University do a 2 year part-time Graduate Diploma in Education.
21-09-2010, 12:46   #33
dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I have an honours degree in engineering from DIT which I believe allows me to do a H.Dip in Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science.

I am not very familiar with the whole process but do I have to do a full time year long H.Dip course to become qualified to teach? A friend of mine mentioned that there was a part time course you could do while teaching (possibly substitute teaching? I'm not sure). Is there any truth to that?

Also, is it possible for me to teach Technical Drawing? From my course I believe I have much more experience in drawing than I do in all the aspects of physics but it isn't listed... Is there any way around this or was it necessary for me to have done a 3 year course in something else?

Thanks.
You have to chose two subjects. So maths and Physics. No one cares if you're qualified for computers or not. No in my school was ever qualified.

The Part-Time is mostly for people who have been teaching in a school for a few years and would now like to be qualified without quitting their job. You can't really just decide to do it as you'd have no guarantee that come September you'd have a job. In fact, it'd be highly unlikely someone would hire you if you're unqualified and there's a surplus of unemployed qualified teachers.
21-09-2010, 20:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by readystudypass View Post
I'm vaguely familiar with the H.Dip in History in UCC and I believe the modules are taken from the 2nd and 3rd year of the undergraduate degree. Because you already have a degree that requirement is satisfied for the Teaching Council. The next requirement is have you covered the required number of credits in an undergraduate degree as outlined by the Teaching Council. Obviously, yes you would, if you choose the appropriate modules related to the Leaving Cert syllabus. In the vast majority of cases only an undergraduate degree will be recognised. However there is precedent for a Higher Diploma being recognised (The H.Dip in Theology in NUI Maynooth allows qualified teachers of other subjects to teach religion).

It would be foolish to do the H.Dip in History in the hope that the Teaching Council will listen to the case outlined above, and it is unlikely they will give you a definite answer before you present the completed qualification. However I believe where a higher diploma consists of undergraduate modules, the case is strong. I'm not that familiar with the modules offered but I believe if you chose 12th century history, then that module could not be counted because it does not cover the period examinable under the Leaving Certificate. The emphasis on undergraduate modules is emphasised by the fact that if you in your situation were to manage to get into a Masters in History it would be completely useless to you in terms of being recognised by the Teaching Council as a qualification to teach history.

As an alternative, would you consider the BA at www.oscail.ie . It is fully recognised by the Teaching Council to teach history (and english if you choose the literature modules). Degree holders also get some exemptions. It's distance learning with occasional face2face tutorials.

That's all I have to offer I'm afraid.
Thanks Ready, you've given me a bit to think about. I emailed the Teaching Council to ask them about the H Dip in History and mentioned that they recognise the H Dip in Theology for the purpose of teaching religion (albeit for qualified teachers). I hope they'll at least consider it if I take the correct modules. Cheers for the heads up about DCU. I spent 6 years in college and I'm not keen to go back and start again but never say never . We really need a leaving cert politics subject in ths country!
Thanks from:
21-09-2010, 21:21   #35
readystudypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMearsheimer View Post
Cheers for the heads up about DCU. I spent 6 years in college and I'm not keen to go back and start again but never say never . We really need a leaving cert politics subject in ths country!
I have heard of degree holders talking about taking just the history modules (4 out of 6) with Oscail in order to satisfy Teaching Council requirements. I don't know if they were just hoping it would work out for them but it seems to satisfy the eligibility requirements. Again, never attempt to prejudge the TC.

Politics was supposed to be introduced for Leaving Cert in the coming years but has probably been put on the back burner now due to financial constraints.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 23:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by readystudypass View Post
I have heard of degree holders talking about taking just the history modules (4 out of 6) with Oscail in order to satisfy Teaching Council requirements. I don't know if they were just hoping it would work out for them but it seems to satisfy the eligibility requirements. Again, never attempt to prejudge the TC.

Politics was supposed to be introduced for Leaving Cert in the coming years but has probably been put on the back burner now due to financial constraints.
Thanks again Ready. Do you mean they just took 4 history modules at 15 credits each (60 in total) in the 1st year of the BA and left it at that or took 4 history modules each year for 3 years (180 credits) for the full BA award? I presume the latter.

My background is politics and international relations so I would really like to teach history and is ties in quite well with what I studied. I did a lot of Cold War history during my masters and covered European unity during my degree. I know these are on history syllabus (I know they represent only a small part of the history course). I wonder if the Teaching Council would recognise any of that if I went down the history road.... I suppose I can ask them. It's a shame politics has been put on the back burner given its impact on our day to day lives. I remember my CSPE teacher in school was not qualified to teach the subject but that was back in 1999. Are CSPE teachers these days generally politics/sociology grads?

Last edited by JohnMearsheimer; 21-09-2010 at 23:52.
22-09-2010, 00:45   #37
readystudypass

Quote:
Do you mean they just took 4 history modules at 15 credits each (60 in total) in the 1st year of the BA and left it at that or took 4 history modules each year for 3 years (180 credits) for the full BA award? I presume the latter.
Not the latter. There are only 6 modules (90 credits) of history available with Oscail anyway.

I mean they were thinking about taking just 4 modules at 15 credits each and leaving it at that. The Teaching Council requires that history (mainly Irish and European) covers a minimum of 30% of the degree over a minimum of 3 years.

30% of 180 credits is 54 so it seems you are covered there with 60 0scail credits.

The 'over a minimum of 3 years' requirement could be taken to mean that some modules must be taken in the 3rd (or 4th for some degrees) year of the degree. This requirement would seem to be met by the fact that in Oscail Level 1 courses are prerequisites for higher level modules. So if you were to pursue this, to be honest, risky strategy, you could only do HIS 1 in your first year. Then you would do for example 2 more modules the following year, totalling 30 credits. In the 3rd year you would do a 15 credit module.

Alternatively you could do HIS 1 in year 1 for 15 credits and 45 credits in year 2 providing you were able to cover the relevant material as Oscail alternate some modules every second year. The TC may say you did nothing in year 3 but you could argue you did the module that others have done in year 3.

Oscail used to allow students wishing to beef up their degrees for the Teaching Council register for individual modules without registering for the entire BA. I presume they still allow this.

I wouldn't get too excited about the chances of the above working out smoothly for you but it's an avenue to be explored. I don't know the outcome of the people I heard about interpreting the Teaching Council regulations as I have outlined.

Last edited by readystudypass; 22-09-2010 at 00:51.
22-09-2010, 00:57   #38
readystudypass

Quote:
I did a lot of Cold War history during my masters and covered European unity during my degree. I know these are on history syllabus (I know they represent only a small part of the history course). I wonder if the Teaching Council would recognise any of that if I went down the history road
I think they should recognise every 5 credits of history gained in an undergraduate degree or module studied independently that is part of an undergraduate degree in History. So undergraduate European Unity - Yes.

I would hold out little hope of anything you studied in your masters being recognised. Seems bizarre but there you go.
22-09-2010, 01:03   #39
readystudypass

Quote:
I remember my CSPE teacher in school was not qualified to teach the subject but that was back in 1999. Are CSPE teachers these days generally politics/sociology grads?
Ten years on I have heard of teachers qualified in other subjects e.g French, Maths being given CSPE.
Advertisement
22-09-2010, 13:44   #40

query

:confused:Hopefully this is the right thread ..I was wondering if any of you guys could please help me with this - Say you've been accepted onto a PGDE course and can't find a school to undertake the teaching placement, what happens then? do you lose your place on the course? thanks for your help
22-09-2010, 14:09   #41
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68508224 View Post
Say you've been accepted onto a PGDE course and can't find a school to undertake the teaching placement, what happens then? do you lose your place on the course?
Well, you can't complete the PGDE or get qualified without teaching practice, so it would be pointless doing it. I don't know about losing your place, I'm sure they'd give you time to find one. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a school - it's a free teacher after all. The only problem I can imagine is that there might be a school that has a few PGDE students already, if so, you may have to go a bit further afield.
24-09-2010, 22:31   #42
peanuthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68508224 View Post
:confused:Hopefully this is the right thread ..I was wondering if any of you guys could please help me with this - Say you've been accepted onto a PGDE course and can't find a school to undertake the teaching placement, what happens then? do you lose your place on the course? thanks for your help
Lecturers on the PGDE courses have lots of connections in lots of schools nationwide so you won't be stuck for TP. Always best to source it for yourself though.
26-09-2010, 17:43   #43
addda

I was just looking at the business degrees that are under points quota and Commerce in UCD isn't listed. Does anyone know if that means it's not under quota or is it a mistake?
26-09-2010, 18:21   #44
delta_bravo

Just a query here with all the jobs shortages etc. If you do the H.Dip equivalent in the UK to teach in Ireland you need to do the History of Irish Education exam and probably a load of paperwork and hassle from the TC; what is the process for the reverse? If you have a PGDE from Ireland and want to teach in the UK?
30-09-2010, 09:02   #45
ALH-06

PGDE / HDip - Different University Options

Hi all,

I'm thinking of undertaking the PGDE starting next September, to qualify as a second-level teacher. My subject would be history.

I've done a bit of reading into the different university options in Ireland, but would really like to hear your opinions / about your experiences as well. So whichever course you have done, or are thinking of doing in the future, any comparative information on the different courses available would be great.

Here's what I've ascertained so far: (open to correction, of course)

UCD:
Quite a gruelling and demanding course that stipulates each day be shared between school (teaching practice) and university commitments. Everyone I've talked to about it bemoans the large workload and stress involved!

I studied in UCD for 4 years and loved it, but I think that for personal reasons and also the above factor, it's time for me to look somewhere else...

Trinity:
My preference at this stage, as I'm from Dublin and am not too keen on the UCD option as it stands. I understand that PGDE students spend separate days at university and school, which I would deem preferable. The course is supposed to be a lot less demanding than it's UCD counterpart, in terms of overall workload.

But would also seem that Trinity is the most subscribed-to course in the country. Together with the interview-based assessment, I'm presuming this makes it very difficult get offered a place?

Maynooth NUI
Operates a separate university day / teaching day timetable, like Trinity. Other than that, I've got no info on how the course is supposed to compare to others, or even the stipulations regarding school candidature. Must PGDE students teach at a local school, in or around the Maynooth vicinity? How would the course / workload compare?

Galway NUI
Unique from aforementioned courses in that the teaching practice comes in the form of 2 singular blocks during the year, together numbering 13 weeks. This time is spent exclusively in the school, while the rest of the academic year is spent in university. Seems like a good alternative to have, though I would still probably prefer the split week timetable of Trinity and Maynooth.

Other than that, no info about this course. I like Galway and wouldn't mind living there at all, but it'd be a more costly option than Dublin probably. Any feedback on the course, anyone?

UCC / UL:
Haven't looked into these courses yet!

So, any opinions / details / impressions / experiences would be really helpful, to every prospective HDipper.

Thanks everyone...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion