Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*****Spoiler*** UFC 101 results thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Fromvert wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Hendo get another crack at him

Rumors are starting to come out that Silva has no interest in this fight & has told Dana he wants to move up to LHW permanently.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    I agree that GSP, Rampage, Couture (doubt it will happen) all make sense and would be very interesting.

Don't forget the resigned Belfort & Ortiz. They'd be potentially tough match ups for Anderson.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hephaestus wrote: »

Don't forget the resigned Ortiz. They'd be potentially tough match ups for Anderson.

Come on.
    What has Ortiz ever done? He's the most overrated fighter in MMa history imo.

He got the better of Ken Shamrock, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

jayteecork wrote: »
    Come on.

Along with Wandy, Belfort, Griffin etc. & also taking Machida the distance.

styles make fights. the only round anderson has lost in the UFC was to Henderson who's strength is his wrestling which is where Tito also excels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Come on.

Has the joint longest championship defending streak. Has beaten Wanderlai Silva, Vitor Belfort,
    Forrest Griffen (went on to win the LHW belt),
    drew with Rashad Evans, a fight he was winning (went on to win the LHW belt).
    Lost to Machida, had Machida in a deep triangle (reigning champ).

The last three while supposedly with an injured back.

So yeah over rated.

Edit: He was also the reason I started watching MMA, as Ultimate Chin says he was first big draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Come on.

He kept the UFC going during the "Dark Ages" when they wern't welcome anywhere. He was one of the first who could properly build a fight.He's a fantastic wrestler who showed how dangerous people can be from the guard and was one of the pinnacle examples of cardio. IMO he did more for the UFC and MMA then Liddell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Rumors are starting to come out that Silva has no interest in this fight & has told Dana he wants to move up to LHW permanently.

Don't forget the resigned Belfort & Ortiz. They'd be potentially tough match ups for Anderson.

Forgot about those two, don't know how I did that. They would make interesting fights aswell.

I hope those rumours are untrue, Hendo deserves his shot. Silva afraid of Dan's chin and wrestling.

lol, opened a can of worms there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Im interested to see how tito fights after is back sugery, but if hes anything like the tito of the past few years andersons a heavy favourite.

Anderson only has a few fights left in the ufc potentially, and id hate to see any of them wasted on rematches. Hendos a tough sob and has a decent shot against him, but im not particularly interested in that match up. Couture would be my preference for his next fight.

I know the Brock fight is crazy but id still love to see it, and id give anderson more than half a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Henderson is overrated because he just recently beat a crap English fighter.

Silva was make a fool of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dan Henderson over rated. Are you crazy. Hendo is an amazing fighter sure he has declined in recent years but still a test for anyone out there. He is also the only guy to have Silva on queer street in the octagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

this was prolly discussed earlier..... but wtf happened to Forrest Griffin ??
    He seemed totally unprepared for that fight to the extent that Anderson was not even defending himself ???? And then he legged it from the ring ? Was he injured or something ?

That was an embarrassing fight for Forrest imo

Just found this... edit: Linkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rugger7

Man, Silva destroyed Forrest. And to KO him while moving backward aswell. I'd love to see him against the dragon but he hinted a while ago that he wouldn't fight him, pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Did anyone really expect Forrest to win this? I mean you put in a guy who loves to stand and brawl with the best stand ups in MMA and this is the result. Griffin is a good fighter but he is nowhere near Silva's standard. Looking through his career who of note has he beaten besides Rampage? Shogun Rua is not even a shadow of the fighter he once was and against Rampage Griffin took a lot of strikes and was lucky not to be KO'd a good few times in the fight. Against the likes of Silva all Silva needs is one good strike and your out. Griffin has heart but hes slow and has Silva showed us he is painfully slow. I have to ask though, why did Griffin keep it on the feet? Silva is excellent on the ground as well but beating him on the feet is simply not going to happen.

To be honest in the (likely) event Silva flat out refuses to fight Machida then I would like to see him come up against a good wrestler and see how he fairs. Rampage would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I have to ask though, why did Griffin keep it on the feet? Silva is excellent on the ground as well but beating him on the feet is simply not going to happen.

He wanted to put on a show due to the stick he got in his last couple of fights-simple really.

plus he was so dominant standing that why would he risk having a ground fight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

cowzerp wrote: »
    He wanted to put on a show due to the stick he got in his last couple of fights-simple really.

Have a re-read of his post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

cowzerp wrote: »

Was referring to Griffin not Silva!

Downloaded the Silva/Gump(!) fight again to watch it on proper quality.

Man, the showboating from Silva, lol. I never thought I'd see that in a main event fight in the UFC.

Plus his face when the crowd started booing him was priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Plus his face when the crowd started booing him was priceless.

Haha yeah he sort of looks like a puzzled kermit the frog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Anyone got a link to view the Silva fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Silva is unreal. Love to see him fight Machida but dont think it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

LOL

Just realised...

"Run Forrest...RUN..!"

Hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well thats something I wasn't expecting.Just went onto the Sports section of the irish indepndants website and UFC 101 is the pages main headline :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Well thats something I wasn't expecting.Just went onto the Sports section of the irish indepndants website and UFC 101 is the pages main headline :confused:

It's Gareth Davies' piece from the Telegraph, admittedly odd to see MMA in the Indo whatever the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Poor Forrest, felt bad for him. Silva was funny though when he just dropped his guard and started ducking and dodging.

He would destroy the dragon, IMO.

Anyone know what area Nogueira was helping Silva train in?

Can't wait to see Big Nog vs. Couture in 102!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Poor Forrest, felt bad for him. Silva was funny though when he just dropped his guard and started ducking and dodging.

He would destroy the dragon, IMO.

Anyone know what area Nogueira was helping Silva train in?

Can't wait to see Big Nog vs. Couture in 102!!

I couldnt pick a winner between machida and Silva tbh. Nog and Silva have been training together for years. they train everything, boxing, jits, wrestling etc

Advertisement