Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I struggle to watch American golf, not the actual golf but when they broadcast it and we have to endure their BS in studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Anyone hear Greg Norman on Sky commentary earlier? Being an absolute shill for Saudi Arabia and "what they're doing for the game of golf". Wouldn't you think with a net worth of 300 million he has enough money. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NDWC wrote: »
    Anyone hear Greg Norman on Sky commentary earlier? Being an absolute shill for Saudi Arabia and "what they're doing for the game of golf". Wouldn't you think with a net worth of 300 million he has enough money. Embarrassing.

He was referring to a world League, something he has been advocating for for decades

GreeBo wrote: »
    He was referring to a world League, something he has been advocating for for decades

Eh...carry on

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

NDWC wrote: »

Dont know what to make of Norman. Such an incredible player, always a consumate pro on the course, seems to be a reasonably thoughtful chap.

Then he quits playing, marries corporate America, and survives literally 1 event in the commentary box (2015 us open) with Fox TV. His stint in the box on Sunday reminds me why; cant answer a simple q (what u thnk of the course?) without waxing lyrical about Saudi Arabia's immeasurable contribution to golf in the 21st century and showing just how out of touch he is with the game and the world generally. Cringeworthy, obviously does not give a toss about optics anymore, if he ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

So CBS failed to show the leader of the Genesis topping his drive on one of the most famous short par 4s on Tour on Sunday. Been getting a lot of coverage Shtate Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Peter kostis in no layout podcast this week. All about coverage. Well worth a listen to people this side to understand what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Whats the best one stop shop for golf coverage. Dont have sky in the house and dont want to get it either. Would like to be able watch all Majors, regular tour events are not required, but a nice bonus if included.

Is the best value to just 'buy' each event as they come up on Now TV? Dont have a smart TV, but could prob look at getting one soon.
    Now TV also have a half price sky deal for 4 months, €20 a month. Does SKY have all the majors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

bamayang wrote: »
    Whats the best one stop shop for golf coverage. Dont have sky in the house and dont want to get it either. Would like to be able watch all Majors, regular tour events are not required, but a nice bonus if included.

Is the best value to just 'buy' each event as they come up on Now TV? Dont have a smart TV, but could prob look at getting one soon.
    Now TV also have a half price sky deal for 4 months, €20 a month. Does SKY have all the majors?

Sky has all the majors, both tours and the Ryder Cup, as well as the ladies and the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sky has all the majors, both tours and the Ryder Cup, as well as the ladies and the seniors.

Sky has a dedicated 24 hour golf channel and a virtual monopoly of golf coverage worldwide. If you want to watch golf on TV, you get Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Watching today’s comp on Sky, only got sky last week to watch golf. The commentators never ****ing shut up. Jesus they make it hard to watch. I’d mute em but want to hear club shots.
    God be with the days when commentators didn’t feel the need to fill every moment with some drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Like that alot when it's featured groups, there's less golf action and the commentators feel the need to fill the void.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

bamayang wrote: »
    Watching today’s comp on Sky, only got sky last week to watch golf. The commentators never ****ing shut up. Jesus they make it hard to watch. I’d mute em but want to hear club shots.
    God be with the days when commentators didn’t feel the need to fill every moment with some drivel

In normal times sky would generally have their own commentary and on course reporters. American coverage never shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

The NLU boys had Nantz on during the week. Was a good opportunity to give him a fvcking about how bad the coverage is but they bottled it. Worth a listen

It’s a bit like if you watch snooker in the 90’s V now. The commentators were confident enough to be comfortable with silence for minutes, now it’s non stop chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bamayang wrote:
    It’s a bit like if you watch snooker in the 90’s V now. The commentators were confident enough to be comfortable with silence for minutes, now it’s non stop chatter.

Yeah but the snooker commentators now are ex players who can describe 3-4 shots ahead. Not chatter - really good insights.

Not sure what other people's thoughts on the CBS commentary team are but I find them quite good.

Nobilo and Baker-Finch are excellent, the Immelmans are good, I'm a big fan of Nantz and even Faldo I find decent despite being in love with himself.

Not missing the likes of Rob Lee in the slightest!

Honourable mention for Inci Mehmet in the Sky studio. More of her please

Handy week's work for Rich Beem - I reckon he's been on screen for about an hour in total across the four days.

When a player has a downhill chip and leaves it short does the commentator always have to say "I didn't think it was possible to leave it short from there"

Literally every time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

castor 1 wrote: »
    He’s an embarrassment.
    The ant hole was about a meter away from his stance and wasn’t affecting him in the slightest

McGinley is such a mealy mouthed twit . He hadn’t the courage on sky to call this for what it is . Just said something to the effect that every pro has chanced their arms at some stage of their careers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

rooney30 wrote: »
    McGinley is such a mealy mouthed twit . He hadn’t the courage on sky to call this for what it is . Just said something to the effect that every pro has chanced their arms at some stage of their careers
    McGinley is one of the biggest clowns associated with golf, and there are quite a few, Mark roe, that clown with the microphone that does the on course interviews, Butch and Claude Harmon and their money grabbing greedy attitude, but McGinley would be right in the mix, wasn't much of a player, but seems to be a sky hero for being a lick arse and Ryder Cup captain. He reached the Wentworth matchplay final about 20 years ago, can't recall him doing anything else. Bryson damages no one but himself with his carry on, played well for 67, but could have been 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

McGinley is one of the biggest clowns associated with golf, and there are quite a few, Mark roe, that clown with the microphone that does the on course interviews, Butch and Claude Harmon and their money grabbing greedy attitude, but McGinley would be right in the mix, wasn't much of a player, but seems to be a sky hero for being a lick arse and Ryder Cup captain. He reached the Wentworth matchplay final about 20 years ago, can't recall him doing anything else. Bryson damages no one but himself with his carry on, played well for 67, but could have been 64.

Get off the fence and say what you really think 😁

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Get off the fence and say what you really think 😁

He was actually worse than I thought as a player, 4 European tour wins, one of them was the Welsh open in Celtic Manor which was reduced to 36 holes. 0 top 5 finishes in majors, best finish tied 6th at the pga. And this is a fellow that tells us all about the game, and has all the clich moving day for him is Saturday because he moves his clubs into the garage until the following Thursday. In case you think I'm bitching about everyone, Rich Beem is Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you're on about Radar, you're just wrong.

AdamD wrote: »

No I'm not, Tim Barter. Radar is entertaining, barter hijacks people, usually a middle of the road English player, and they lose concentration and bogey the next, happened today with Pablo Larrazabal, even during a 64. Was - 7 after 13, and +1 for the next 3 holes after the interview. His favourite targets are Andy Sullivan, Ross Fisher, Eddie Pepperel, Matt Fitzpatrick, and Tyrell Hatton. The first two would fit the description of middle of the road players.

AdamD wrote: »

Radar talk some about of drivel, he pretends to know a lot more then he does or tries to sound smarter then he is.

Radar talk some about of drivel, he pretends to know a lot more then he does or tries to sound smarter then he is.
    But I said he's entertaining, so that is kind of agreeing without being critical. He doesn't take himself seriously either, and I'd say he knows he's on to a good thing. Money for jam

But I said he's entertaining, so that is kind of agreeing without being critical. He doesn't take himself seriously either, and I'd say he knows he's on to a good thing. Money for jam

IMO of course he is ok comes out with good one liners no doubt, but he tries too hard at times for my tastes, tbf when he is on course he doesn;t annoy me as much.

Just not in the booth or the main studio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm no fan of McGinley but for some couch potato to be calling his golfing career achievements nothing is laughable.
    He knows lots about the game and is obviously highly respected or he would never have been a Ryder Cup captain.
    His big problem is he is too nice for tv commentary.

Advertisement