Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Classic Henry.

Whereabouts in Ireland did you grow up ?

England

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Henry is very entertaing, but my goodness they really drag the arse out of those segments. Would be fine at half the length.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I tried listening to the show today, my god his "ahh" at EVERY SENTENCE just did my head in, couldn't ah listen to him ah go on about ah anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

At the end of the day he's just another big overpaid Newstalk baby and virtually unlistenable to any time that I stumble across the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

does esther mccarthy really have to do spoiler the whole plot when reviewing a movie. I was looking forward to streaming Vivarium tonight but i pretty much know what's going to happen now that i listened to Movies and Booze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    At the end of the day he's just another big overpaid Newstalk baby and virtually unlistenable to any time that I stumble across the show.

He is a welcome relief from mainly sports obsessed NT presenters now scrambling to throw material together to feed their habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I notice that at least RTE have abandoned their sports bulletins until there's some sport again. If Newstalk were announcing the launch of Russia's entire nuclear arsenal against the West they would still have a sports bulletin attached. :rolleyes:

The breakfast show is nearly reduced to asking listeners what their favourite team colours are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sean making fun of someone with mental health issues for the laugh, good lad... ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

JJayoo wrote: »
    Sean making fun of someone with mental health issues for the laugh, good lad... ffs

In fairness yer man claims to have met all 230 + leprechauns and talking about their drink of choice and what clothes they wear etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

What makes you think he has mental health issues?

Is it just because you don't believe in leprechauns?

In fairness yer man claims to have met all 230 + leprechauns and talking about their drink of choice and what clothes they wear etc.

No different to claiming an elderly obese man travels the world, goes down peoples' chimneys and leaves presents once a year.

It's a laugh, he knows it, Sean knows it and the vast majority of the population knows it's bollocks.

I think Sean excels at that type of interview - where he treats with absolute sincerity and seriousness, and a total poker face, the latest crackpot theorist or fantasist (who to be fair are usually also keeping their own poker face on), and knocks a ten minute straight interview out of UFOs or aliens or leprechauns.

I honestly can't think of anyone else on radio who could pull it off.

A touch of much-needed light relief from reality these days!!

You have a lad seeing things, hearing voices, and believing he has been chosen for a mission, leave the leprechaun part out he should be getting help

You have a lad seeing things, hearing voices, and believing he has been chosen for a mission, leave the leprechaun part out he should be getting help
    Your irony meter needs checking :rolleyes:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Your irony meter needs checking :rolleyes:

You need a dictionary :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Very sad about Tomás Clancy. He was the best Movies and Booze drinks contributor, witty and urbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

cml387 wrote: »
    Very sad about Tomás Clancy. He was the best Movies and Booze drinks contributor, witty and urbane.

That's sad news. Always liked when he was on movies and booze.

That's sad news. Always liked when he was on movies and booze.
    Ah jeepers :(

I'm still not over missing David Carey and Paulo Tullio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

cml387 wrote: »

On no, thats so sad..so intelligent and entertaining, as for his descriptions and soothing voice..
    I'll miss him.
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Poignant highlight reel for Tomás at the end of today's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Passenger wrote: »
    Poignant highlight reel for Tomás at the end of today's show. t

Aw man, I am not able. Crying in my kitchen!

Sean did really well to get through that last bit of the show, you could hear the emotion in his voice. Very sad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In case anyone wants to listen to the tribute, I used to enjoy the Moncrieff show until I noticed he constant ahhh at the end of every sentence but I did tune in for the Tomás Clancy bits

A tribute to our friend and colleague, Tomás Clancy https://www.newstalk.com/shows/moncrieff-234861?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web via @newstalkfm

Woman on from Portland there telling us how racist we are.

Was able to point to an incident 60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5555555555 wrote: »
    Woman on from Portland there telling us how racist we are.

Was able to point to an incident 60 years ago.

From Portland but worked as a lecturer in Ireland.

Also, spoke about our treatment of travellers.

Do you really think that racism is not in Ireland?

murpho999 wrote: »
    From Portland but worked as a lecturer in Ireland.

Also, spoke about our treatment of travellers.

Do you really think that racism is not in Ireland?

Do you think Ireland is such a racist country we should be lectured from someone from the US ?

Why reference incidents from the 1960s and the 1920s as proof of this racism ?

As for travellers , how much of this 'discrimination' is brought on by their own behaviour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haha, I heard Sean say "coming up next - racism in Ireland".

Didn't hear the slot, but made a note to pop in here later to see who was outraged by whatever was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5555555555 wrote: »
    Do you think Ireland is such a racist country we should be lectured from someone from the US ?

Why reference incidents from the 1960s and the 1920s as proof of this racism ?

As for travellers , how much of this 'discrimination' is brought on by their own behaviour ?

She wasn't lecturing.

I think you need to listen to the piece again. She gave a fair assessment and things and knew Ireland and its history very well.

You're criticising her as she's foreign? Isn't that sort of discriminatory?

As for travellers, they are discriminated against in Ireland, no shadow of a doubt about it, regardless of their behaviour which I'm not condoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

A Tómas Clancy hour long movies and booze special from 3.00 pm...
    I'll have the tissues out..

Advertisement