Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Dormer Room ?

Options
  • 15-02-2020 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I moved into my house about three years ago and the dormer room and the room below it are always cold. After some investigation I have found that the air coming in via the sofit board is able to flow between the floor and ceiling of the two rooms. See attached picture for (hopefully it is clear) more details.

Should the gap between the floor and ceiling be blocked or do I need to allow a flow for ventilation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

yes, google ventilation baffles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Hi,
    I moved into my house about three years ago and the dormer room and the room below it are always cold. After some investigation I have found that the air coming in via the sofit board is able to flow between the floor and ceiling of the two rooms. See attached picture for (hopefully it is clear) more details.

Should the gap between the floor and ceiling be blocked or do I need to allow a flow for ventilation ?

The soffit vents should funnel fresh air up through the felt and rafters to prevent rot.
    My understanding is that the insulation above the ground floor ceiling should go out as far as the inside brick as co cover/insulate that ceiling entirely. You should also have the knee walls in the attic and also the attic room ceiling well insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Resolution to this may involve moving the first two or three rows of slates back while you insulate and airtight that gap..then install baffles to run air up through rafter space.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alongwaytotipp

Great thanks for the reply all...I know what to do ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you sketch suggests the floor in the room goes all the way to the eave.
    Is that correct?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alongwaytotipp

you sketch suggests the floor in the room goes all the way to the eave.
    Is that correct?

Hi Calahonda yes correct. Are you thinking what I'm thinking ...which is to lift the floorboards and block the air flow at the very edge of the wall/roof ?

Advertisement