Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car service

• 21-01-2021 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering what you take on this would be, maybe this is a silly question.
    I have a 191 focus due its annual service, just rang the dealer i bought it from and its €179. A neighbour of mine is a mechanic and services cars in his own shed for a lot less than that.
    I will probably be trading it in next January, will dealers notice if it is not serviced officially or should i go with my neighbour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You would be insane to do this on a 191 car, the lack of a main dealer stamp will devalue it. When the car is 5 or 6 years old it won't matter much either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

€179 is decent .

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

For such a new car get it serviced in the dealer as it is an advantage having all the service stamps when you come to sell it.
    If the car was 5/6 years old I would go to an indie garage for service to save over main dealer. 10years+ get your neighbour to service if you know he does good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭con747

helen87 wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering what you take on this would be, maybe this is a silly question.
    I have a 191 focus due its annual service, just rang the dealer i bought it from and its €179. A neighbour of mine is a mechanic and services cars in his own shed for a lot less than that.
    I will probably be trading it in next January, will dealers notice if it is not serviced officially or should i go with my neighbour?

Ford offering a €30 online discount on servicing https://www.ford.ie/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/fast-start
    Save €30 with Ford Service
    We’re open and here for you.

In accordance with government guidelines our workshops remain open for Service Maintenance and Repairs. To help keep your Ford performing at its best, we’re offering €30 off your next service when you book online using code FORD30.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot make a fair comparison to a Fred in his shed mechanic versus main dealer when it comes to pricing. Fred in his shed probably works for himself and doesn't pay rent or rates on his shed compared to a main dealer who employs 10s of staff and has to heat their glass palace.

Also servicing your car during the warranty period outside the main dealer network just makes life harder for yourself to prove genuine parts were used when you do have to go back for a warranty issue. €179 for a service (even a basic one) from a main dealer is not exactly daylight robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You might save €50 but it'd devalue the car by a lot more than that at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭helen87

Thanks for the replies, I thought that might be the case but was just checking! this mechanic actually works for a (different) ford dealer and does this at weekends.
    at least the code will give me a discount thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

this thread, people and their cars :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

When you take out the cost of oils and filters, it's not a costly service. Some modern cars are using 0w oils which are more expensive than generic oils but last longer in use. Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind.

1874 wrote: »

better than people having too much time on their hands and posting petty remarks like this.
    why are you in a car forum if you have no interest in cars?

• Advertisement

better than people having too much time on their hands and posting petty remarks like this.

Very far from it, I have a lot of interest in cars, its none of your business if I peruse the forum, Im on my day off, will do as I please :cool:
    You on the other hand dont seem to be that clued in about cars, you dont seem like car person to me at all, so how are you calling me out?

Heres your post to me,
    I drive a generic very nearly new car, its only 2 years old max, Im so cheap and couldnt give a damn about it or who it goes to down the road because Im selling it soon, Im prepared to go to some backyard mechanic to possibly use the wrong oil, Im willing to save a miniscule amount on servicing on this compared to the overall value of my almost new car.
    Its a 191 ffs, dont be so cheap.
    Pennywise, pound foolish

You'd probably use winglongs or triangle or whatever for tyres too

Look Im sure your backyard mechanic could be ok, I know a guy who is ok myself, there are a lot of cowboys out there too, I do my own servicing myself,
    If you dont know what you're at re cars,
    either go to a main stealer or go to a reputable indie garage imo
    Its nearly new, even I'd go with the, if its within 5 years new, main dealer unless I knew a very reputable indie nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very far from it, I have a lot of interest in cars, its none of your business if I peruse the forum, Im on my day off, will do as I please :cool:...
    You dug a hole for yourself and were called out on it yet you kept digging making yourself seem even more ridiculous. Learn and move on.

Very far from it, I have a lot of interest in cars, its none of your business if I peruse the forum, Im on my day off, will do as I please :cool:
    You on the other hand dont seem to be that clued in about cars, you dont seem like car person to me at all, so how are you calling me out?

Heres your post to me,
    I drive a generic very nearly new car, its only 2 years old max, Im so cheap and couldnt give a damn about it or who it goes to down the road because Im selling it soon, Im prepared to go to some backyard mechanic to possibly use the wrong oil, Im willing to save a miniscule amount on servicing on this compared to the overall value of my almost new car.
    Its a 191 ffs, dont be so cheap.
    Pennywise, pound foolish

You'd probably use winglongs or triangle or whatever for tyres too

Look Im sure your backyard mechanic could be ok, I know a guy who is ok myself, there are a lot of cowboys out there too, I do my own servicing myself,
    If you dont know what you're at re cars,
    either go to a main stealer or go to a reputable indie garage imo
    Its nearly new, even I'd go with the, if its within 5 years new, main dealer unless I knew a very reputable indie nearby.

You are nothing but another keyboard warrior with all of your presumptions. I have a very keen interest in cars , my car is is far from generic, I always get mine ordered in with extra spec. I don't just wander in to a showroom and take what I am given by a dealer who thinks he can take advantage of a woman buying a car on her own.

I was asking peoples opinion on whether a dealer would notice if a car was serviced in an official garage or not. Whether or not the "backyard mechanic" was reputable or trustworthy not was not the question.

You are nothing but another keyboard warrior with all of your presumptions. I have a very keen interest in cars , my car is is far from generic, I always get mine ordered in with extra spec. I don't just wander in to a showroom and take what I am given by a dealer who thinks he can take advantage of a woman buying a car on her own.

I was asking peoples opinion on whether a dealer would notice if a car was serviced in an official garage or not. Whether or not the "backyard mechanic" was reputable or trustworthy not was not the question.

That in itself if a bit of a presumption, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chill, not everyone is an expert. At least OP came to ask, no need to slag her.

I was thinking of rowing back a bit if you replied with anything reasonable, I wasnt going to go further if you didnt reply, maybe even say I was a bit hotheaded, but given you went further,

you presumed a lot about me,ie that I was not interested in cars, when you dont know me, and you even made other assumptions.

My original shocked emoji, was over something that grinds my gears a bit,
    ie when someone is selling/passing off any car and trying to save themself a small amount in the shortterm, but for something that potentially has longterm knock on effects for the car and future owners, over the matter of something important, but it cant be seen like worn tyres, ie oil change or at least I hope they check it for that in a main dealers annual service, just seems counter productive for very little in return, is it worth it? (thats rhetorical Im not asking you, because you dont know the answer, you're asking that yourself), imo NO, you were thinking about doing this when you will have the car for another year! what else will you omit?

will it affect you? Id say very unlikely, will it actually have longterm affect on the car, maybe not or maybe the service will catch something, you might even hold onto the car, who knows.

Its pretty much a given your neighbour could do it for less, but on a car that age, is it worth it? does he give a warranty?? and given you state you have a keen interest in cars Im shocked that you would scrimp on a service.
    Now its nice to like cars, and have them, but that doesnt mean someone is technically minded, (or even has to be), Im not faulting the latter, nor am I claiming to be an expert.

imo having a keen interest is not the same as being clued in technically, So I think you are right to ask opinions. I didnt say you didnt have a keen interest in cars though, I never presumed that. I never even said anything about you being a woman, you also raised that. But it doesnt sound like you are that technically knowledgeable, thats not a criticism (you do seem to take things as a criticism).

Your question really was around would it be noticed, sounds like will I get away with it?? the only benefit to that is to save a few quid imo.

anyway thats my 2 cents, if you ask in a public forum, you may get answers you like AND dont like.
    Im not a keyboard warrior, I wasnt having a crack at you, I just think oil/filter changes and basic checks are there for a reason.

biko wrote: »
    Chill, not everyone is an expert. At least OP came to ask, no need to slag her.

thanks sir lancelot, I was already replying, and I think the OP is being a bit of a dick actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm with 1874 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Thread needs locking, OP asked a question, thanked posters and seemed to take advice on board then the keyboard nutters on their day off started a stupid argument.
    OP it's a good investment to get that service stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭corks finest

akelly02 wrote: »
    €179 is decent .

e179 is reasonable - friends annual service on his Ford recently cost him e266 main dealer

If I'd a 2019 car and intended trading within a few years I'd go down the main dealer route

• Advertisement

All i was doing was asking peoples opinion on something, plenty of people ask for opinions on random far fetched things to see what way other people think.
    If I had thought that someone would call me a dick over this I would never have posted an tbh I don't think I will ever post again after this.
    I never said I was going to actually go to this mechanic.
    For as long as I own the car I will be doing everything above board as the car is still in warranty and I plan on trading in next year, and thats they way I have always thought.
    There is no need for people to be so aggressive towards other people just for asking a question that they don't agree with or think is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Helen,

Don't get offended by a few individuals. You have asked a question and some responses were civilised and to the point, which is what Boards should be about.

Come back in the future with other queries, there is no need to put aside an opportunity to get someone else's valid opinion, even if it is one out of ten between other silly responses. Just weed them out ;-).

Take Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

All i was doing was asking peoples opinion on something, plenty of people ask for opinions on random far fetched things to see what way other people think.
    If I had thought that someone would call me a dick over this I would never have posted an tbh I don't think I will ever post again after this.
    I never said I was going to actually go to this mechanic.
    For as long as I own the car I will be doing everything above board as the car is still in warranty and I plan on trading in next year, and thats they way I have always thought.
    There is no need for people to be so aggressive towards other people just for asking a question that they don't agree with or think is stupid.

Sure it's going on here continuously. If you use oil and filter bought from a ford dealer you aren't in breach of your warranty, make sure to keep the receipt. I'm keeping my 191 for a few more years and got a very good 3 service deal from Skoda themselves. Something worth considering when you change next year.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sure it's going on here continuously. If you use oil and filter bought from a ford dealer you aren't in breach of your warranty.

Sure if you're buying the oil and filter from them and you've already driven to them, would you not just give them the €50 or €60 to service the jaysis yoke and stamp the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sure if you're buying the oil and filter from them and you've already driven to them, would you not just give them the €50 or €60 to service the jaysis yoke and stamp the book?

Of course that's her choice to do so, I was just letting her know she had other options available without invalidating the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s the resale value rather than the warranty that’s the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

thanks sir lancelot, I was already replying, and I think the OP is being a bit of a dick actually

pot/kettle

newmember? wrote: »
    pot/kettle

My original reply was to the OP, I saw the thread title and thought someone was asking for service advice, then I saw someone who is basically asking is it a good idea to go to a backyard mechanic for a nearly new car because she is planning on selling it on to someone else anyway, thats poor form imo.
    she had some snarky, accusatory replies and makes some big assumptions too.

and the whole she wont post here again, for the love of god, pathetic
    but not as bad as pandering to getting support for her opinions, I didnt realise there were so many white knights in the motors forum, thought there were more level headed people.

And your comment or a few others like it and their thanks adds what?

Out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭corks finest

My original reply was to the OP, I saw the thread title and thought someone was asking for service advice, then I saw someone who is basically asking is it a good idea to go to a backyard mechanic for a nearly new car because she is planning on selling it on to someone else anyway, thats poor form imo.

but not as bad as pandering to getting support for her opinions, I didnt realise there were so many white knights in the motors forum, thought there were more level headed people.

Out

It's a great forum (, boards) for advice and help and can get a little feisty at times even bitchy and we're all guilty of it occasionally, but in the end I'd sorely miss boards of it ceased to exist or banned

• Advertisement

Out

As I said before I was not asking you for your opinion on the mechanic, I asked a different question. Not my fault if you didn't read the post fully.
    You were pretty snarky with your own replies.
    If anyone is pathetic its you, your only intention was to get a reaction from your little one liner remark. Congrats you got it, now go stalk some other post

Advertisement