Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drills/adhesives for general home DIY

• 20-01-2021 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

DIY Noob here. I need to do some general DIY around the house. Basic but varied stuff - hanging blinds, bathroom mirror cabinets, WiFi access points, fixing shelving units, etc.

I'd need to switch out bits for different walls - got timber studwork with plasterboard in some places, concrete and ceramic tiles in others. So I'd want a driller that can work with different bits and have varied speeds. I'm looking at these two (not sure if I'll actually use Screwfix yet because I heard they're having delivery issues) - am I on the right track with these drills?

screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mscd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/317fx
    screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-ebcd18li-2-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-ext-cordless-combi-drill/785hf

Also on the same subject, just curious if anyone has any experience with adhesives like Tec7/NoMoreNails etc instead of drilling, especially for heavier things like mirror cabinets?

Hoping I can get some advice :) thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

If you will be using the drill infrequently, and will sometimes need to drill into masonry, you should be looking at corded drills not cordless.

More power for less money and no batteries to go bad from lack of use.

Any drill will have changeable bits, but do you also need to use it as a driver (screwing/unscrewing screws as well as making holes)?

You may also not need a drill at all for access points, picture frames, small shelves etc on plasterboard - i usually just a bradawl to poke a hole (in the plasterboard, not a stud), pop in my rawlplug/anchor and use a hand screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d start with a corded hammer drill. Lidl have them at the moment and they’re cheap. They’ll also be better than any cordless hammer drill you can get.
    Then get a cordless for screwdriving and light drilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I suggest a corded drill for your use, although I have gone through a few.
    Cordless drills are useful where much grunt isn't necessary and more convenient for general light/medium work, basically anything that doesn't involve drilling concrete etc.

Id get a reasonable brand (although brand quality can vary over time).
    I think Black & Decker used to be ok, but not so much now imo,
    I have a corded Bosch which is useable for a variety of things,
    I have a McCallister cordless drill, its still fairly ok, not sure what the brand is like but might be ok to go for still.
    But I have a Dewalt cordless which is nicer/lighter/has a case/2 batteries (not the brushless version) which I got for 99.99 in B&Q, so it could be worthwhile if you see one on offer to just payout a small bit more, it has hammer action and will drill concrete, so something like that may even suit if you are drilling the occasional/one or two holes in concrete at a time. 2 batteries helps with that

IMO a big thing is try get one with a case, handy for keeping it together/storable and limit/prevent damage when not in use.

Personally, adhesives are good, but I wouldnt rely on them to hold something (in case the adhesive didnt fail but if the surface its glued to did), wouldnt want a bathroom cabinet falling on a childs head, plus you'd have to put significant layers/blodges or over such an area, if its something you might have to take off, that it will wreck the item removing it or the surface behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dovahkiin11

Thanks for the suggestions!

Re the corded drill that makes sense, I'll have a look around and if the Lidl ones are ok for concrete and tiles I can pick one up. Not really looking for it to be a driver but if it has that function it's a bonus

The awl hole suggestion definitely makes sense for lighter things. In fact for frames etc I currently just use 3M double sided tape, but hand screwing for light shelves etc could work

And good point about the adhesive for heavier things, even though some are advertised to work with even 20kg weights it's better to be safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

For drilling tiles get a "glass/tile" drill bit, no hammer action needed.
    Get a "keyless" chuck on the drill. Some powered drills still have a "keyed" chuck which is a pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement