Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic ladder - DIY job ?

• 20-01-2021 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Tempted to give this a go. Existing trap door circa 500 x 500mm so will need to make bigger. Any recommended brands out there or ones to avoid ? Just trying to anticipate what I am getting into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Totally DIY but depends on your skill level and available tools.

Things to note these are bloody heavy so best have help. May need extra timber to add a noggin either side. It's a good idea to put the stairs up into the attic . Screw temp Battens to it and place it down into the hole. The battens should hold the weight while you can drill the bolt holes into your joists. Then remove when all bolts are in. Make sure not to over tighten bolts as they can drag joists in and break the attached plasterboard ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I did my own many years ago- from my experience- the "Dolle" brand attic stairs was slightly oversize for the ope between trusses so I had to plane a little off the external frame sides to slide it down into position. Top tip is, mark and cut out the cover architrave/ slips while the trap assembly is on the ground- no fun trying to do this work when it's already fixed in position overhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The difficulty will depend on the direction of the roof trusses and what direction the ladder is going. In a normal 3 bed, they run front to back and the landing runs the same direction, so it is just a matter of making the opening longer. If the attic stairs is running perpendicular to the cord member of the truss then you are into structural work and it needs to be considered carefully.

As the other posters have said: It will also depend on the spacing of the trusses and the ladder you purchase. And yes they are heavy, but i would recommend taking the ladder out of it and just fitting the frame first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DoorParts

Possible to do DIY but with some experience though, I've heard that the only thing I hear many people saying is to remove the ladder to reduce the weight, go with the trusses, frame completely, make sure to insulate the attic door when you're done. Good luck and stay safe ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/storage-ladders/loft-ladders/cat831470?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-storageladders-_-loftladders ?

Some can be delivered and most show the size of the cutout needed on the specifications tab.

If you have an existing hatch then if you can make it hinge downward you can just install the ladders https://www.screwfix.ie/p/3-section-aluminium-loft-ladder-3m/5028p saving on cutting up the ceiling to make a bigger opening.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/storage-ladders/loft-ladders/cat831470?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-storageladders-_-loftladders ?

Some can be delivered and most show the size of the cutout needed on the specifications tab.

I installed one of those simpler sliding aluminium ones a few years back, really easy job.

Didn't need to modify the existing hatch, just took its measurements and made a swinging door for it on some hinges with a latch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

o1s1n wrote: »
    I installed one of those simpler sliding aluminium ones a few years back, really easy job.

Didn't need to modify the existing hatch, just took its measurements and made a swinging door for it on some hinges with a latch.
    I'd be interested in this one. Did latch, hinges and pole come with ladder?. Also was it a screwfix one??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

rje66 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this one. Did latch, hinges and pole come with ladder?. Also was it a screwfix one??

I did it a month ago, hinges, pole and everything else was included...screwfix 3 parts one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

rje66 wrote: »

The larger one with the integrated folding ladder is worlds ahead from the alum effort. If your trusses run in a direction that you want the ladder and the landing can accommodate, do it. It’s a gamechanger for attic access.

Incidentally, I’ve done a few whereby the landing access door was a door to bloody nothing. They served absolutely no purpose (typically hipped roof construct) where you would need to be a contortionist to gain access To a space that would hold little more that ryanair carry-on so we put the ladder in the master bedroom, which in those particular cases, offered great access and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks everyone. Ye have me convinced. Prices for supply and fit circa €350 which isn't too bad but that €104.95 timber one on Screwfix with free delivery looks the job. Will be running with the trusses so hopefully straight forward enough. Youtube here I come !

• Advertisement

Keep us posted on progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I got mine done a few years ago for 180 euros. It took two guys 2 hours ( 4 working hours). I thought it was incredible value

Well folks, bit the bullet and fitted the attic stairs over a few evenings last week.
    Trusses are at 600mm ctrs so needed a 550mm wide unit. 1100mm and 1200mm long seem to be the options and I went for the longer one.
    Shopped around, plenty of suppliers out there but all comes back to just 2 or 3 brands. Hit upon a Fakro by chance so went with it at €140 (reduced from 200 allegedly) and possibly a better reputation. Certainly cheaper ones out there (Grange.ie) and honestly not sure if there's much of a difference. Optistep and Oman seem to be popular brands.
    Things to look for are handrails, rubber shoes for legs, see how tread is fixed to leg, insulated door, hinge brackets, ribbed steps etc. Also see how hatch is opened - some seem to have a string but most have a rod including the Fakro.
    Also check out how ladder and frame is supported in place during installation.
    The instructions suggested a batten at either end screwed into joist above which I did. There might be a better way.
    Certainly a DIY job but you will need a hand to lift into place.
    Have to say, found it a bit awkward drilling and fixing but got there. Surprised how much shimming is required 10 to 15mm all around (shims or fixings not included).
    I had an existing trap door so just had to remove one frame and add in a new one to hang stairs off. Don't underestimate the mess made by cutting plasterboard. Here's a few snaps and I am happy with end result.
    If you can get one fitted for circa 250 to 300 then that would be tempting but sure you can't beat the self satisfaction of doing it yourself ! Another Covid project done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

@DIY KING- good job, just watch the fixtures and fixings on the unit itself- I found they tended to loosen a little over time and a small drop of oil on the moving parts is no harm either.

Just curious, how did you seal up edges to prevent draught down from attic??

I presume you mean between frame and joist - 10 or 15mm gap owing to spacers. Haven't done it yet but plan just to pack with quilt insulation. I guess the spray foam filler might do the trick either ?

DIY KING wrote: »
    I presume you mean between frame and joist - 10 or 15mm gap owing to spacers. Haven't done it yet but plan just to pack with quilt insulation. I guess the spray foam filler might do the trick either ?
    More between the door/hatch and frame..

Apologies. There is a brown rubber gasket on the frame that the door presses up against in closed position as per photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Hi All,

A quick question, I already have a hatch and ladder but the spring hinges have broken...my heart is broken trying to find a replacement solution, nowhere seems to stock them. Closest I have come is here https://www.premierloftladders.co.uk/loft-hatch-spring-hardware-pack/ but delivered they will prob be about €180. Does anyone know where to source similar? Cheers

Advertisement