Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Screwfix deliveries

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Mine arrived today as well. Originally 4th Jan, but resent on 5th Feb. Delighted.

Loads of work to do now at the weekend!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

My order arrived today, ordered 6th Feb, not too bad but it was small so no customs issues. Tracking showing as arriving in country yesterday, biggest gap was 12th to 18th showing as being exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I ordered a small amount from them on the 18th February and it was delivered lunchtime yesterday, not bad at all and that's Saturday sorted for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

This crowd must have got something sorted out with customs or whoever.

Wanted some stuff for a project and wasn't in much of a hurry for it.Much cheaper than anywhere else.

Ordered last Thursday and arrived this morning.
    Wasn't expecting it for at least 3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Ordered kitchen sink and 3 way tap on 11th March. Both delivered yesterday. Great service n great price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

This is becoming ridiculous to the point of I can't deal with the wait times anymore.

Anyone have an Irish alternative for Screwfix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

keano25 wrote: »
    This is becoming ridiculous to the point of I can't deal with the wait times anymore.

Anyone have an Irish alternative for Screwfix?

I've ordered plenty of stuff in the last few weeks and deliveries arrived within a few days each time.

Mimon wrote: »
    I've ordered plenty of stuff in the last few weeks and deliveries arrived within a few days each time.

I'm happy for you.

I've ordered plenty stuff as well and delivery is at least two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'm happy for you.

Ordered 3 items 3 weeks ago, got 2 last week, no sign of the third.

Ordered 3 items 3 weeks ago, got 2 last week, no sign of the third.

Ya absolute nightmare. What gets me tho is all items were in stock in Swords and they decide to ship them from the UK... Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

I placed another small order on the 14th, I think it's in the country now, hope to have it delivered this week. I 've been back and forth to my local builder's providers picking up other bits and pieces for the past number of days but some stuff they don't have or is just crazy expensive compared to Screwfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Ya absolute nightmare. What gets me tho is all items were in stock in Swords and they decide to ship them from the UK... Makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense. They ship from stock warehouse in the UK. Their branches don't deal with shipping and get their stock from the same warehouse.

It's a right PITA, but most of the issue with delays is Brexit related. I've had to drive between 3 different screwfix locations to collect a few items (once on the same day). If they don't have what I need, I pay more or order from within Ireland from some other establishment. I don't order from the UK....not unless I was in no rush for the order.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I think some of of the issues are caused by GLS. I made an order which was split into 2 parcels, shipped a few days apart. The second parcel arrived within a few days but the first one took about 2 weeks. It arrived in Ireland but sat there for about a week with no customs clearance.

I rang screwfix and they said it wasn't a customs issue and they'd open an investigation with GLS. It started moving the following day and I had it 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Makes perfect sense. They ship from stock warehouse in the UK. Their branches don't deal with shipping and get their stock from the same warehouse.

It's a right PITA, but most of the issue with delays is Brexit related. I've had to drive between 3 different screwfix locations to collect a few items (once on the same day). If they don't have what I need, I pay more or order from within Ireland from some other establishment. I don't order from the UK....not unless I was in no rush for the order.

I know there's a huge difference in scale but you have to wonder what difficulties Screwfix are having with Brexit that Amazon and the likes of Axminster are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I'm happy for you.

Watch the snotty sarcasm there buddy. I'm only relaying my experience.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I know there's a huge difference in scale but you have to wonder what difficulties Screwfix are having with Brexit that Amazon and the likes of Axminster are not.

Amazon deliveries are massively curtailed since Brexit. There are a number of items I ordered on Amazon I simply cannot get anymore because the delivery or product cost is either higher, or the item no longer ships to to Ireland. In the rare case delivery to Ireland was an issue pre-Brexit, I used Parcel Motel to get around it. I never heard of Axminster, so won't comment.

Stay Free

Amazon deliveries are massively curtailed since Brexit. There are a number of items I ordered on Amazon I simply cannot get anymore because the delivery or product cost is either higher, or the item no longer ships to to Ireland. In the rare case delivery to Ireland was an issue pre-Brexit, I used Parcel Motel to get around it. I never heard of Axminster, so won't comment.

True, some sellers on Amazon have stopped delivering to Ireland but "massively curtailed" is a bit of an exaggeration.
    However the problem with Screwfix is not what they will deliver, but when. I know when I ordered a saw stand from Screwfix, it took six weeks to deliver from the UK, on the other hand, I ordered a charger from Amazon last Saturday which arrived yesterday. Both of these items would have been subject to the same constraints of Brexit.
    Axminster, BTW, is a large quality tool supplier based in Devon. Probably not a name you'll see too often on Bargain Alerts but still a UK supplier who can deliver to Ireland in a fraction of the the time it takes Screwfix.

True, some sellers on Amazon have stopped delivering to Ireland but "massively curtailed" is a bit of an exaggeration.
    However the problem with Screwfix is not what they will deliver, but when. I know when I ordered a saw stand from Screwfix, it took six weeks to deliver from the UK, on the other hand, I ordered a charger from Amazon last Saturday which arrived yesterday. Both of these items would have been subject to the same constraints of Brexit.
    Axminster, BTW, is a large quality tool supplier based in Devon. Probably not a name you'll see too often on Bargain Alerts but still a UK supplier who can deliver to Ireland in a fraction of the the time it takes Screwfix.

About half the items I regularly ordered from Amazon can't be ordered, or are too expensive since brexit. Phone cases and chargers are different, but even at that...change your delivery address to a UK one and you'll see the difference of offerings. For me, amazon deliveries are massively curtailed.....it's different for each person depending on what they may order. Last week, I wanted to order my usual 25L of pond fish food for about €20. Not a single seller would deliver. I had to get 10L here in Ireland from the local pet shop for near €30.

I'll have to check out Axminster.

Stay Free

Mimon wrote: »
    Watch the snotty sarcasm there buddy. I'm only relaying my experience.

All I said was I'm happy for you. Which I am.

And I'm not your buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just on the Axminster and Amazon deliveries here to Ireland, I have used both of these often in the past but since brexit kicked in i have been using Amazon Germany for a lot of things instead but have not used Axminster since.

For those who have been ordering from amazon uk and axminster since brexit kicked in, what happening with extra charges and the like?

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    Just on the Axminster and Amazon deliveries here to Ireland, I have used both of these often in the past but since brexit kicked in i have been using Amazon Germany for a lot of things instead but have not used Axminster since.

For those who have been ordering from amazon uk and axminster since brexit kicked in, what happening with extra charges and the like?

Haven't ordered from Axminster as I only use them for larger items and some accessories which I haven't needed. As regards Amazon, very much business as usual as far as I'm concerned although if you get above €150 you may get caught for import duty.
    If you are only buying lower priced stuff, UK Vat is removed at checkout and replaced by Irish Vat which adds a small amount to the final price but for the next three months UK vat is removed and Irish Vat is not added if the final price if it's below €22. This is quite a bonus if you're a Prime member especially as the Warehouse has 30% off sale on at the moment. Delivery is the usual 2-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Haven't ordered from Axminster as I only use them for larger items and some accessories which I haven't needed. As regards Amazon, very much business as usual as far as I'm concerned although if you get above €150 you may get caught for import duty.
    If you are only buying lower priced stuff, UK Vat is removed at checkout and replaced by Irish Vat which adds a small amount to the final price but for the next three months UK vat is removed and Irish Vat is not added if the final price if it's below €22. This is quite a bonus if you're a Prime member especially as the Warehouse has 30% off sale on at the moment. Delivery is the usual 2-4 days.

Thanks for the reply. Thats a great deal if buying under €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

How're Screwfix doing lately? They have a few things of interest but getting anything delivered by anyone is so hit-and-miss these days. Just looking for some decent plastic shelving, used to get it at Woodies but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Last time I used screwfix delivery it took 3 weeks to arrive.

I only use it now if they have it in stock in the local shop or I use the collect in 4/5 working days option too if Its not too urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I haven't had a delivery in a while, normally do click and collect. Anything I order that's out of stock, is normally at the store within a week for collection.

They seem to be expanding a lot here this year, everytime I check the store locations they seem to have added a few.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Delivery from the UK to West Kerry took less than a week from order to showing up at the door. +1 to Screwfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I ordered a drill on black friday (evening), it was here on monday morning with DPD, couldn't believe it.

Generally orders take about 3/4 days to me by GLS, which is fine until the put a bloody store in Cork!

I use the click and collect service all the time now, if I order on a Thursday I'll usually have it by the following Tuesday. Not great if it's urgent and you need it in a hurry but given everything that's going in with logistics I can't complain.

Advertisement