Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

unkel wrote: »
    LOL gotta agree there CoBo55 :D

Saw a documentary once about how the car came to be and it's not a pretty story. Basically developed from old parts very quickly very cheaply in a desperate last ditch attempt to save the company (I can't remember exactly which flavour of British Leyland we are talking here). It actually did make them money. Lord only knows why people bought it.

Cos itz brittissh mate...
    They were a horrible car then and are a horrible car now, those Muppets would buy anything the Queen tells them to. Thank God the Japs came to Ireland in that time and saved us from that junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Fcukin eejits more money than sense...

I can't say I understand it myself.

LOL gotta agree there CoBo55 :D

Saw a documentary once about how the car came to be and it's not a pretty story. Basically developed from old parts very quickly very cheaply in a desperate last ditch attempt to save the company (I can't remember exactly which flavour of British Leyland we are talking here). It actually did make them money. Lord only knows why people bought it.

A surprising amount of the Metro was reheated and plated up as the MGF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bit harsh, but each to their own. It was on the market all the way up to 1997 as the Rover 100. Sold well enough in Ireland and in France as well. Think it was a cut above the Allegro/Marina by that stage, the car that saved BL really to allow AR be sold off in 88, and was meant to be the replacement for the mini at the time of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

They were a decent car for the time they came out, as good as the Fiesta anyway. It's not a very inspiring car, it was never meant to be, but did the job well enough. Spacious, comfortable enough and economical. A bit rough compared to later cars and it was on the market far too long, but apart from that it was fine. There were MG and turbo versions if you wanted to go faster and the 6R4 if you wanted to go much faster. (yeah, totally different car, I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

alias no.9 wrote: »
    That'll be gone across the water in no time, they're asking strong money for clean metros these days

Thats not a clean Metro. Far from it, the wheels look arseways. Putting a car cover on it for the photo doesn't help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

w124man wrote: »
    Thats not a clean Metro. Far from it, the wheels look arseways. Putting a car cover on it for the photo doesn't help!

It looked really good in the ad and the rest if the pictures before it was taken down, very clean and solid.

The ad said that it had been lying up in a garage for a long time, so tyres have just let go it seems.

I thought the suspension has collapsed on it, shocks entirely gone or something like that. Apart from that it looked good. Might have had a repaired bonnet. Interior looked to be in top condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

alias no.9 wrote: »
    A surprising amount of the Metro was reheated and plated up as the MGF

Common misconception. The door mirrors and some switches are pretty much the only things that are same :D MGF has hydragas and some other suspension based on that of the Metro, but modified. And subframe, heavily modified. That's about it

Metro was a heap of sh1te FWD supermini - very poor successor to the Mini. MGF was a poorly built car, leaked from factory and way overpriced. But it's an outright 2 seater sports car with the mid rear setup and that screamer of a K-series engine it's a lot of fun to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hydrolastic suspension on them isn’t there? I’d say it just deflated after sitting for so long, but no idea what would be involved in getting it back to useable standard.

It’s an interesting little car, seemed very clean from the photos, and had an interesting history file etc. Depending on the sort of recommissioning it needed, I think it was well priced at €2k. It’s the sort of yoke that you won’t see another of at a show, and will get people talking etc. Someone obviously agrees because it was sold in an hour.

• Advertisement

I wonder if there are any original Irish Maestros still out there?

About 8 or 9 years ago there was a brown one on Donedeal, Louth reg coincidentally, for €350. 1 owner and low miles. Haven’t seen one since, in person or advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Did my driving lessons and passed my test in a metro so it has a soft spot for me but by god it was an awful car.

Common misconception. The door mirrors and some switches are pretty much the only things that are same :D MGF has hydragas and some other suspension based on that of the Metro, but modified. And subframe, heavily modified. That's about it

Metro was a heap of sh1te FWD supermini - very poor successor to the Mini. MGF was a poorly built car, leaked from factory and way overpriced. But it's an outright 2 seater sports car with the mid rear setup and that screamer of a K-series engine it's a lot of fun to drive!

It used two Metro subframes, one at the front without an engine and one at the back without steering. I have huge respect for what the BL/Austin/Rover design engineers did with various leftovers, its just a shame the operations folk never mastered their brief.

The 1.4 16v k series in the Metro made it a monster over **** b roads BTW but I still wouldn't ðŸ˜

Well said alias no.9. We are only starting to appreciate a lot of the engineering prowess that went into some of these British cars. Such a shame they were terribly poorly built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Well said alias no.9. We are only starting to appreciate a lot of the engineering prowess that went into some of these British cars. Such a shame they were terribly poorly built.

I have said that about my XJ40 every time I get into it. It feels like it was engineered by accomplished professionals and built by a childrens playgroup

It seems to be a common thread among British cars of the time. Engineering knew what they were at, but some bean counter pushed compromise for savings and strong unions wanted members to be able to get a good days sleep on the production line. Or that's just an excuse for what were ultimately rubbish products with a glimmer of genius ( As a lancia fan, you can see I've thought this one out :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

About 8 or 9 years ago there was a brown one on Donedeal, Louth reg coincidentally, for €350. 1 owner and low miles. Haven’t seen one since, in person or advertised.

My dad bought a maestro years ago. Brutal yoke but unbelievably reliable. 4 speed gearbox and a leaking sunroof.
    He had just about pulled the trigger on a ford Scorpio with full black leather interior and electrical everything but my mam said it was too big for her to drive!!
    Well done mam...look at the heap of shíte he's after bringing home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Birka

Original Louth reg and a fairly base model that Metro with the inset headlights.

We had one the same colour, Ember Glow, I think, in 1981. The first ones were badged Mini Metro because of some issue with the name being trademarked elsewhere. Our later '84 model was badged as just Metro.

That was the L model that came (as far as I remember) with a double pinstripe and a rear wiper. Not sure if that upholstery was standard on the base model but it was tricky to keep clean. The car had a potentially fatal flaw of tipping some petrol out through the low mounted filler cap during hard cornering which had the potential to hit the NSR tyre and cause the car to skid. There was a recall for an upgraded filler cap.

They weren't bad to drive if you didn't mind the steering wheel angle inherited from the mini.

mfceiling wrote: »
    My dad bought a maestro years ago. Brutal yoke but unbelievably reliable. 4 speed gearbox and a leaking sunroof.
    He had just about pulled the trigger on a ford Scorpio with full black leather interior and electrical everything but my mam said it was too big for her to drive!!
    Well done mam...look at the heap of shíte he's after bringing home now.

Did you feel that your parents had quite frankly **** on you? :D

I may have picked this up from here before but anyway .....

KevRossi wrote: »

This video had a real effect on me when I first saw it. ( many many moons ago )

It really highlighted how important a car was seen as an integral part of your status in the UK. I since note how TG presenters noted the actual trim level meant something too.

I dont think cars were ever rally as entwinned in your social standing here. New car = posh snob trying to get above your station. Ever year the car got older you slowly sank back into your place with the rest of us.

When being a posh snob became a badge of honour in the late 80's - we invented a number plate system so you could proudly pronounce you were better than everyone else, irrespective of what sh*t box you put it on, we didnt care. You drove a 99 D - ( in 99 of course ):D

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »

That video will never get old. It's a total gem.

Rob sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

There's only 2 cars that I hate. The Renault 12 and the mini metro :D

(and that piece of sh1t from Japan that is a Micra trying to look like a classic Jaguar - this vehicle shall not be named)

have to take you to task on the R12 unkel - my Dad had a '75 model, (that's a Gen1 to the anoraks) reg 807 CIK, the first car he let me drive; well initially reversing in & out of the drive (underage) and then when I turned 17 it was my first mode of legal motorised transport so it holds a place in my heart.
    And what of the R16 and the R15 & R17 coupes - the height of the working mans attainable bit of continental flash?

And on the Metro (I missed the DD ad, gone now) my Dad had one briefly from the insurance as a replacement after someone tipped into the back of him around 83/84. Yes it was practically new, but I just didn't take to it at all.

I was a big fan of the R15 and R17, collected the brochures from the main dealer just a few hundred yards from our house, when they came out :)

The first car I have recollection of is the brand new R4 my dad bought when I was 2. A few years later we took that to trips to Spain with 3 kids in the back, my dad had made a rudimentary seat belt system for the rear seats himself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Believe it or not the Maestro was a really great car in prototype form but the production and QC guys didn't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was a journey, a step up from the 70s and by 1989 they had a well sorted car in the R8 Rover 200 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I may have picked this up from here before but anyway .....

As is tradition... the infamous Rover 100 NCAP test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0P9MistIDg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

w124man wrote: »
    Believe it or not the Maestro was a really great car in prototype form but the production and QC guys didn't care!

A quick google brought me down this rabbit hole:

devmaestro_01.jpg?resize=651%2C476

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/austin/maestro/concepts-and-prototypes-maestro-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I looked at that Maestro and a Safrane he had for sale.

Both were ****e so I quickly walked away. I hope the buyer of the Metro knows how rare an early one is. They do nothing for me but it was OK, good interior. Hard to tell about the paint as it was wet. Simple enough to sort, suspension can be pumped at home if you know what you're at

ba_barabus wrote: »
    suspension can be pumped at home if you know what you're at

Or at the former main Rover dealer in Blanch village (these days a Kia dealer or somehting like that?) , presuming they still have the machine and the staff to operate it. Got mine done years ago and they charged me €45 or thereabouts - reaonable enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There was a lovely Vanden Plas edition on DD last year that wasn't mad money either. I was very tempted......

540436.JPG

Advertisement