Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For Sale and Freebie thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We all knew this was coming. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

GBX wrote: »
    We all knew this was coming. Buyer beware.

Exactly. There is a silly amount of moaning on Facebook and the likes about import fees. Its not like it was snuck in under the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Agreed, but it is a good example where the costs can sky rocket when you might have thought you were getting a deal before. I'd like to think that some UK shops will look into setting up in the Netherlands, Germany or even Dublin as they will be taking a major hit in EU sales. But there are already so many competitive EU sites I wouldn't worry about being able to get deals online.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

D3V!L wrote: »
    Exactly. There is a silly amount of moaning on Facebook and the likes about import fees. Its not like it was snuck in under the counter.

This, we all knew it was coming, if you get "stung" its your own fault for not doing very basic maths to guesstimate import fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Does this mean we can buy VAT-free from the UK? I seem to remember doing that in the good ol' days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Breezin wrote: »
    Does this mean we can buy VAT-free from the UK? I seem to remember doing that in the good ol' days.

In theory. It is up to retailers to not charge you the UK VAT at point of purchase. I wonder how many of them will automate their sites and systems...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭blade1

AmyMay wrote: »
    In theory. It is up to retailers to not charge you the UK VAT at point of purchase. I wonder how many of them will automate their sites and systems...

Yep, I ordered a mitre saw from an Irish company last week.
    After ordering, they contacted me an said out of stock.
    Couldn't find the same one anywhere ( one with 210mm blade) but I found a bigger one on Amazon with a 255mm blade.
    Cost including Irish vat was only €21 more than the smaller one from the Irish company.
    An post and Amazon are set up for this so you can see the breakdown before paying and you won't get hit for extra charges including handling fees when you receive your item.

Also ordered a new textile pants off a motorcycle shop on eBay.
    Said I'd take a gamble and was expecting to get caught for duty.
    Arrived today and no charges.
    Was sent by parcelforce in UK and delivered by an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I presume when you bought these they took the UK vat off them at checkout - 20%. So instead you are being asked to pay the irish rate at 21%, which will increase back to the normal rate of 23% in the coming months. On top of that you have the customs charge.
    UK sellers are being charged extra in admin fees from couriers and are passing costs onto buyer, not sure if there will be much of a saving if UK companies set up here as there will still be a lot of additional costs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For buying stuff from the UK its exactly the same situation as buying from the US now.
    The parts better be rare or hard to find or its not worth buying from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi All,

I have the restricted ECU, Intake Funnels, 2 Keys from my 2015 CBR650F,

Bike was restricted when I bought it but he had the unrestricted bits so I swapped them in as soon as I could,

Anyone know if these are worth anything?

Not sure who might want a restricted ecu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If anyone has a 2014- 2016 mt09 (naked or tracer), I have a kevxtx O2 controller. Free to a boardie.

The O2 controller reduces throttle snatch and completely fixes the hunting issue on the MT09 by adjusting the fueling when the bike is running in closed loop (sub 3k revs).

*this is now gone to the lowest bidder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SicnarfYbroc

Yes, I know, Cheeky, Eh...?

Anyone with a motorbike sitting in the Shed / Garage / Front Room, and want rid of it. I need a project to work on in the Garage...

Anyone with a motorbike sitting in the Shed / Garage / Front Room, and want rid of it. I need a project to work on in the Garage...

Are you actually asking someone to just give you a bike? For free?!
    Jesus wept the entitlement of some people.
    Audacious, bold faced or brazen would better suit.

I've a few here :

Vfr750 needs a bit of TLC
    Yamaha FS1
    Ducati SS750

Take your pick ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

GBX, What is the SS750 like?

DD

Duke Dan wrote: »
    GBX, What is the SS750 like?

DD

Sorry Dan was taking the piss as per the person looking for a free project

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Bigserious1

Does anyone have any project that arent free? :)

Would like a little evening project to mess around on.

Does anyone have any project that arent free? :)

Would like a little evening project to mess around on.

There's a cb500 for dirt cheap on dd doesn't start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Just put a Roadlok calliper disc brake lock up on adverts.ie if anyone is interested
    https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/roadlok-brake-disc-lock/22686114

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Free:

Would do for winter commuting or whatever.

Size 46, collection only from D8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

zubair wrote: »
    If anyone has a 2014- 2016 mt09 (naked or tracer), I have a kevxtx O2 controller. Free to a boardie.

The O2 controller reduces throttle snatch and completely fixes the hunting issue on the MT09 by adjusting the fueling when the bike is running in closed loop (sub 3k revs).

*this is now gone to the lowest bidder*

Just a shout out to zubair here as the recipient of said controller.Arrived in the post today.

Very decent gesture indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have a nice project for you but it'll cost you a grand if I'm in a good mood :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

zubair wrote: »
    Agreed, but it is a good example where the costs can sky rocket when you might have thought you were getting a deal before. I'd like to think that some UK shops will look into setting up in the Netherlands, Germany or even Dublin as they will be taking a major hit in EU sales. But there are already so many competitive EU sites I wouldn't worry about being able to get deals online.

CMS in the Netherlands have a vast range of genuine parts and are competitive with Fowlers, David Silver etc. only thing was the delivery charge was higher. Guess the balance has very much swung back in their favour now...

Wemoto have an .ie website so can probably do VAT free or charge Irish VAT at time of purchase. I haven't been looking to buy anything yet this year though.

There's Louis and presumably lots of other EU options too

Amazon.de is a breeze once you set your language to English (I didn't know about that until after my first order :pac: ) yeah delivery is slower and more expensive but there are still deals to be had. Got a Lego set for my son for Xmas a lot cheaper there, even paying delivery, than from Amazon UK with free delivery. Pre-Brexit. Go figure.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Bigserious1

I have a nice project for you but it'll cost you a grand if I'm in a good mood :)

Any details? Thanks

Selling a Scott Oiler V system. Brand new.

https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/scott-oiler-v-system/22904389

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Ok guys. On the off chance, I am looking for a cheap bike. Open to suggestions.

I have 15 years NCB on classics and it expires shortly. So want something lower (am only 5 foot 6), 15 years + old, and running.

I am not fussy, does not have to be immaculate, my last bike was a UK financial write off, but rebuilt. My last few bikes were Diversion 600, BMW K1200rs.

Anything around? I have a few weeks and need to get something......

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

On the look out for a child’s helmet if any of ye can advise ? Lookin to take the child out on the bike with me

On the look out for a child’s helmet if any of ye can advise ? Lookin to take the child out on the bike with me
    Best to take him in somewhere and get one that fits him correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blade1 wrote: »
    Best to take him in somewhere and get one that fits him correctly.

Are shops still open ?

• Advertisement

Are shops still open ?

They are but maybe give them a call beforehand to see what measures are in place for trying on stuff.

Better off getting a new helmet for your kid's head with function and fit being the priorities.

Advertisement