Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Style Counsellors on RTE, opinions?

• 26-11-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I'd love to hear other people's opinions of this show?
    I watch it every week gobsmacked at the dated, dowdy outfits that the style experts choose. They easily age the women seeking advice by 10/20 years with their choices. One of the experts looks like she's in her 20s which makes her choices even more bizarre. Maybe I'm completely out of touch, which is very possible. But I think the clothes on the show are hideous and inappropriate for the contestants lifestyles.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

I saw it once, never again. as you say its most bizarre. its probably the worst fashion show in the history of fashion shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Icsics

Saw a bit of the first series, complete rubbish. Can’t stand the Jackson one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its weird .....the people who are 'style counselors' don't have any qualifications in fashion etc as far as i can tell ..like no fasion or textile degrees ..not sure what makes them experts ..

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Its weird .....the people who are 'style counselors' don't have any qualifications in fashion etc as far as i can tell ..like no fasion or textile degrees ..not sure what makes them experts ..

They both are IG influencers so RTE gave them a TV show..... I want my tv license payment back! Hope to god it's a one seasoner.

The Suzanne one thinks the show is about her, she is full of herself. Brutal clothes

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    The Suzanne one thinks the show is about her, she is full of herself. Brutal clothes

Last nights episode was dreadful. It was basically the Suzanne show. She couldn't even allow the contestant to show off her new look without overshadowing her in a bright red sequined jumpsuit. I think I just watch it to annoy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I caught it this afternoon for the first time. I actually didn't mind it all that much, although Eileen was-clearly-reading-from-the-autocue.
    I'm not particularly familiar with either presenter as I haven't been on Instagram in months, and I stay the hell away from the bimbo/influencer type of accounts. I did notice there was a fashion consultant in the credits ;-)

In the episode I saw (brunette nurse from Cork), they only offered her 3 very sparkly going-out outfits. They threw out a few items from her wardrobe, but I don't think they replaced any of her day clothes at all, or steered her towards other casual options. I bet that lady is still wearing the same old black tops and hoodies from before.

I caught it this afternoon for the first time. I actually didn't mind it all that much, although Eileen was-clearly-reading-from-the-autocue.
    I'm not particularly familiar with either presenter as I haven't been on Instagram in months, and I stay the hell away from the bimbo/influencer type of accounts. I did notice there was a fashion consultant in the credits ;-)

In the episode I saw (brunette nurse from Cork), they only offered her 3 very sparkly going-out outfits. They threw out a few items from her wardrobe, but I don't think they replaced any of her day clothes at all, or steered her towards other casual options. I bet that lady is still wearing the same old black tops and hoodies from before.

Same thing happens in every episode. Women needs help finding clothes. They show up and throw out her clothes. Then they proceed to recommend impractical evening wear without recommending casual, work appropriate clothes. I'm not even sure why they bothered with the older lady this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

Infuriating programme to watch, the entire emphasis is on the presenter and not the contestant. Stealing her reveal wearing the sparkly red jumpsuit was just cruel and patronising. The 3 outfits chosen were awful, the burgundy dress being the best of them.

Suzanne is at it again tonight, always makes sure she’s looking better than the contestant. Prancing around in her high heels & ridiculous eye lashes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Icsics wrote: »
    Suzanne is at it again tonight, always makes sure she’s looking better than the contestant. Prancing around in her high heels & ridiculous eye lashes!

Perhaps u should stop watching it? Cause it really sounds like u can't stand her.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

The women on the show are normal women who like most of us these days live in leggings and comfy clothes. I'd love if they showed some looks for casual clothes jeans, top and converse type outfit. I feel the women would benefit way more from this help instead of just the once off special occasion. Any help on what suits there bofy shape woyl be great advice for buying any clothes.

Loved the dress the lady picked tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

I was glad she picked that dress too, the others were far too old for her. Very staid, at least the dress she chose had a bit of personality about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This the second season of it by the way and I thought that last weeks episode which I only seen today was very good. I thought they done a great job. I thought there was some very useful stuff on it too like about the right bra to wear and wear your breasts should be ad also about glasses and face shapes. I think Suzanne is very good but I have noticed she really is going for standout style this year too herself.
    Overall I think it's quite an enjoyable show and I enjoy watching it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The women on the show are normal women who like most of us these days live in leggings and comfy clothes. I'd love if they showed some looks for casual clothes jeans, top and converse type outfit. I feel the women would benefit way more from this help instead of just the once off special occasion. Any help on what suits there bofy shape woyl be great advice for buying any clothes.

Loved the dress the lady picked tonight.

That's what annoys me so much about the show. They're on the show because they struggle with day to day clothes but instead to say "let's pick out an outfit for a big night out". There was a farmer on it a couple of weeks ago who couldn't dress for her short height. They didn't give her any advice on how to dress in a way that would suit her height. The older woman talked about jeans she likes....but didn't say "this would be a good choice if you're tall/short.... Just a feckin useless show.

AMKC wrote: »
    This the second season of it by the way and I thought that last weeks episode which I only seen today was very good. I thought they done a great job. I thought there was some very useful stuff on it too like about the right bra to wear and wear your breasts should be ad also about glasses and face shapes. I think Suzanne is very good but I have noticed she really is going for standout style this year too herself.
    Overall I think it's quite an enjoyable show and I enjoy watching it.

They gave her underwear advice but no advice on how to dress day to day. The whole opening of the show what her talking about how she's stuck in frumpy, unflattering clothes. Instead of helping her with her request for help they dressed her for a christening. I did think she had a great hair makeover, her long hair was aging her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ClubDead wrote: »
    They gave her underwear advice but no advice on how to dress day to day. The whole opening of the show what her talking about how she's stuck in frumpy, unflattering clothes. Instead of helping her with her request for help they dressed her for a christening. I did think she had a great hair makeover, her long hair was aging her.

Yes her hair certainly looked much better after.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watch it, cry at some of the stories

The clothes picked sometimes are not very flattering

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I saw bits of it once or twice. I have nothing against the presenters or the clothes. In the end participants picked something they feel comfortable in. Someone who was put forward for a show because their clothes are a bit drab won't suddenly feel comfortable in edgy outfits. They usually end up with perfectly respectable outfit they can recycle for weddings, christenings, communions and birthdays for next 5 years at least.

I find the concept so boring and done to death by shows with bigger budgets for decades. When Say Yes to the Dress feels current in comparison you know you are in trouble.

Advertisement