Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to get book published

• 13-01-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, (first time user), I'm trying to, like many other authors, establish a relationship with a reputable publishing house. I have submitted my manuscript to Olympia publishing company based in London. They accepted my offering and offered me a contract, however, they want me to contribute 2500 upfront before they commence production. I have been reading about so called Vanity publishers, it seems they may try to take advantage of first time authors, my question is has anyone had any dealings with this company or similar Vanity publishers. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi, (first time user), I'm trying to, like many other authors, establish a relationship with a reputable publishing house. I have submitted my manuscript to Olympia publishing company based in London. They accepted my offering and offered me a contract, however, they want me to contribute 2500 upfront before they commence production. I have been reading about so called Vanity publishers, it seems they may try to take advantage of first time authors, my question is has anyone had any dealings with this company or similar Vanity publishers. Thank you in advance.

It's a scam. A publisher should be paying you, not the other way around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Walk away from that one. Your €2500 will buy much more if you need to go the self publishing route, if no legitimate publisher picks you up. General advice would also be to seek an agent first, unless you know your market very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Publishers pay you, not the other way round.

Are you in any FB groups? There are so many to choose from, and often with people in the business. Get to know people and there will be someone who will point you in the right direction, and advise you about the right publishers to contact depending on your genre. The groups will invariably have people like yourself in, and you can support each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Capitol226

Hi. Just a thought but have you considered releasing a Kindle version, would be relatively inexpensive to produce & you could set a low purchase price to promote sales..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'll second the poster who suggests self-publishing via KDP (who will release not just Kindle, but also Paperback versions). You retain control. It is so so easy to do, and you get the book out there EXACTLY as you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jimbob1welly

Thanks for all your help and advice, haven reviewed all options I have rejected the offer and have approached an agent. I will look at the KDP option also. Again appreciate all support and advice.

Advertisement