Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Stone? Or Worked

• 25-10-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Is this possibly worked? Or is there a natural stone that would fragment in this way? Apologies the photos are poor.

To describe the stone, its rather like a cuboid, or a dice, 6 sides. Size 3 cm x 1 cm.

The top and the bottom look natural, but the sides look as if they have been used to sharpen or flattened by rubbing against something. They look unnaturally straight/flat.

A further think that caught my eye is that one of the sides has two curved edges, rather like they have been rubbed against something curved itself, like a metal rod or similar.

The back drop to this is I picked it up in the same area of my garden where a saddle quern and flint lithic were recently found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

PS: In the photo "Flat side showing smooth wear:

On the extreme right of the stone, there is a large(ish) vertical smooth convex cutaway/worn away. To the left of that, and not that immediately visible. is a much narrower vertical smooth convex/cutaway.

The rest of the face of the stone in that photo is flat. All 3 of those would seem to have been worn away, made smooth by some sort of rubbing action, possibly used to smooth or sharpen another object. This is of course guess work on my part.

I think the stone is sedimentary, probably some sort of sandstone, but what is puzzling, is why the upper and lower face of the stone are natural/rough and all the other sides look to have been worn away to a smooth surface by some kind of action. Puzzling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It’s not possible to make any sort of a call based on the photos. Clearer photos might allow for a clearer opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks Slowburner, I'll see if I can get better photos.

Advertisement