Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odd slab

• 04-08-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Just had this picture sent to me.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just have a mental image now of people sending you unsolicited pics of slabs to your whatsapp...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I know,

I receive the oddest things sometimes,

But this picture was sent to me by my Dad,

Set in pavement outside the AIB in Wicklow town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to me it just looks like it might be cement or concrete backfilled into a square hole, perhaps where a bin or small tree might have been?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It looks like one half of a drain for receiving run off from a down pipe. The circular part would have been directly under the down pipe and a groove would have carried the run off away across the path to the kerb.
    These are common enough in Wicklow villages and were usually hand cut in granite. Sadly, they are frequently replaced with concrete or just removed altogether

i interpreted the circular pattern as probably being from the float used to smooth out the concrete; and there seems to be 'bleed' over the adjoining cobbles in the lower left which could indicate something was poured in - i don't think you'd see that with hand cut stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

It's Sandstone,not cement.
    Presumably taken from somewhere else and then re-used as a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Its concrete/mortar by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Looks like a concrete infill. The markings are very similar to those that a traffic cone would make if it were placed on it before it has fully set

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Looks like a slip-on? Early 21st century Clarke’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Not seeing it on Google Street view, but the 2009 images have posts that have since been removed.

523036.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement