Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Other Mods have banned me.:o:)
    What does one do if there is a contribution and the OP thread is not suitable? Add it in the wrong thread, highlight a move or not contribute?:confused:
    edit - now you've gone and moved the posts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Send me a pm to discuss before posting.

And this convo is also off topic, so we'll leave it here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wonder can anyone make out the name of the child of Peter Bridgeman and Catherine Miniter in this baptism from Shanagolden on June 12th 1856?
    There is a transcript for it at FMP but I'm not sure they have it right.
    It's about half way down the left hand page opposite the '1909' note on the next page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Difficult one but looks like 'ci' in the middle, I'd take a stab at Franciscus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Patricium?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Is it Patricium?

I'd really like it to be Patricium but I honestly can't say. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hermy wrote: »
    I'd really like it to be Patricium but I honestly can't say. :)

It looks like that, but is Patrick not usually Patricius? Is it a boy or a girl? I don't know enough Latin grammar to know what -ium would mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

What looks like Patricium is formed the same way in an entry on 9 October 1856.

spurious wrote: »
    It looks like that, but is Patrick not usually Patricius? Is it a boy or a girl? I don't know enough Latin grammar to know what -ium would mean.

Yes, just Googled that and Patricium is Patricia apparently.

There was a son Patrick and I've been through the register and not found any other likely entry so I'm inclined to think that might be him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    Yes, just Googled that and Patricium is Patricia apparently.

There was a son Patrick and I've been through the register and not found any other likely entry so I'm inclined to think that might be him.

No. (sorry!):pac:
    I’m finding it hard to decipher the text – I see ‘Minihen’ (not Miniter) and Apud Robertstown (at Robertstown)

However the Latin bit is easy –Patricius (Patrick) the male name is a second declension noun. In Latin nouns are ‘declined’ which means their suffixes change form according to their grammatical place/role in a sentence.
    Nominative Patricius Patrick (as subject)
    Vocative Patricie Patrick (as a form or address)
    Accusative Patricium Patrick as object of the sentence
    Genitive Patricii Of Patrick
    Dative Patricio to Patrick
    Ablative Patricio by, with or from Patrick

So in a baptism of Patrick the priest would state ‘Ego Jo. Smith PP Bapt. Patricium etc as –ium denotes the male object of the baptism.

Were it a female, Patricia, it would be a first declension noun and the above cases would be Patricia, Patricia, Patriciam, Patriciae, Patriciae, Patricia.
    So a girl would be Patriciam, - hard to distinguisha from a boy Patricium in a scrawl.

It also should be noted that Maynooth was not to ‘hot’ on Latin grammar, often the level of some priests was less than basic.

• Advertisement

No. (sorry!):pac:
    I’m finding it hard to decipher the text – I see ‘Minihen’ (not Miniter) and Apud Robertstown (at Robertstown).

Don't be sorry - that's another great post!

Robertstown is right and if it's not Miniter it should be, as per other information.

So it's just a matter of fiinding something else that confirms whether or not it's Patrick.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Hi folks,
    I'm hoping you can help with the notes (especially the crossed out ones) on the baptism of Christopher Coyle. It's the first one on the page.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st_lawrence_mf_1853-1880_ba_0407

Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Vic

VicWynne wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I'm hoping you can help with the notes (especially the crossed out ones) on the baptism of Christopher Coyle. It's the first one on the page.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st_lawrence_mf_1853-1880_ba_0407

Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Vic

I think the crossed out bit is the thing they usually put when it has been a private baptism, for example where the child might have been poorly at birth.

I think the stamp is the name of a person he married on 6 Jan 1915 - M Fahy? at St. Something in Rome?

Remarried Anne Licker (?)
    ? ?? Cathedral? Catholic?

The image looks a bit clearer at NLI.ie.

455211.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

Remarried Anne Licker? at Pro-Cathedral.
    (D'oh...it's obvious when you see it).

**edit cross checked at familysearch. It's Annie Tucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Many thanks folks. He 'married' Mary Halligan somewhere around 1903/04 - I haven't found any cert, but from the census in 1911 he was married 4 years and she died in 1908. I have her death certificate.

I've found the reference to the marriage to Annie Tucker... Small world as we have Tuckers elsewhere on the other side of that branch...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi,

can anyone help with the address under the name and his occupation?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

7 Mary's lane for the address anyway, occupation is tough... could even be 'Workhouse'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be "milkman"?

7 Mary's lane for the address anyway, occupation is tough... could even be 'Workhouse'.

Thanks, trying to figure out which Joseph he is in the family as it says he was a bachelor the one I know was married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I think occupation is "Not Known".

Died in Grangegorman Mental Hospital, so they may have put this down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Actually, I think BowWow is right.

BowWow wrote: »
    I think occupation is "Not Known".

Maybe even Unknown.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi, This may be slightly off topic as i cant find the original document to post, but in one record, what looks like the letters N.T appear after a relatives name. I had transcribed the document before and it appeared as follows.

It was a marriage between " ......the youngest daughter of Mr. Phillip Cotter N.T, Ballincollig, Cork and Mr.......... "

I recall seeing N.T after names like this before.

Sorry that i don't have a document to post with this, but i am sure it was N.T as i have seen it before, but it could have been something similar, but i have no idea what NT means. Any ideas?

National (School) Teacher, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

New Home wrote: »

Ah Yes!! That would be it! Thanks:)

I couldn't think of it either, I just typed N.T. in Wikipedia and that was the most plausible option. :)

New Home wrote: »

That's it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi all need some help please.

Can you make out cause of death, I was told she died in child birth just want to make sure think she 2 x great grandmother.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

I know I'm leaving out the difficult bit but that's the best I can do. :)

"Debility
    after her ___
    three hours"

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement