Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the wetware interface a common problem?

Options
  • 27-11-2019 10:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it common that an IT Manager can't troubleshoot a problem on a CentOS 7 VM or any Linux distro for that matter? I mean, yes I'd prefer to spend most of my time developing Software. I've always thought it best however, to understand how my OS works even at a basic level and be able to fix it.

I just encountered an IT Manager who needed a freelancer fix an issue where yum wasn't working on their CentOS vm. Essentially, yum broke with an update and they hadn't been maintaining snapshots. I couldn't roll it back to a previous working version and I was in no form to start fixing a ton of **** manually, which would have been tedious only being able to use wget and rpm. The solutions for the issue were considerable sparse, with no working solution in this particular instance.

So I suggested they upgrade to 8 and any files they needed for the new install could be easily retrieved as their server and other running VMs are connected to a NAS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I'd say that depends on the IT manager! My manager certainly wouldn't know how to fix that one but I'd hope they'd be able do a bit of reading online & figure it out. Fixing the rpm d/b & yum can be incredibly tedious afair as I've had to do one or twice when someone rebooted a PC while it was updating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

opus wrote: »
    I'd say that depends on the IT manager! My manager certainly wouldn't know how to fix that one but I'd hope they'd be able do a bit of reading online & figure it out. Fixing the rpm d/b & yum can be incredibly tedious afair as I've had to do one or twice when someone rebooted a PC while it was updating.

Yeah I found it to be incredibly tedious. I eventually suggested a new VM with CentOS 8. They have a NAS device connected to their Network so it was easier, but longer than having to type every required download by hand with wget and to fix they repo directory.

Advertisement