Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournaments Discussion 2018/19.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure would. They’re not just open to public but there’s not usually a cover charge for qualifyiers or just a token couple of quid at most and you can pick your table. It’s the Barnsley metrodome so should be easy to find I’d say.

That’s great! It’s only a 15 min walk from the hotel! That’s my evening sorted if it’s still on when I finish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That’s great! It’s only a 15 min walk from the hotel! That’s my evening sorted if it’s still on when I finish

Good stuff. Best of 11 kicking off 7.30 so doubt evening session would be done and dusted before 11 at the earliest so should be good for a few frames anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

As soon as I went on to world snooker website it showed the qualifers in Barnsley on opening page. May be that it only comes up when it starts and goes live, but you need to dig a bit if planning ahead. Especially for qualifiers in Barnsley for the hardcore crew. LoL

I just shared an elevator with Michael White in the premier inn I’m staying at!

And people told me Barnsley was boring as shyte!

Just watched Jimmy White beat Fergal O Brien in a last frame decider

Alan McManus is still on in his decider too. My dad would **** if he was alive to see White and McManus playing at the same time!

• Advertisement

Alan McManus is still on in his decider too. My dad would **** if he was alive to see White and McManus playing at the same time!

That was actually a fantastic 76 break by jimmy to win that match, could have gone for the century but just stopped on the yellow for some reason, might have called a foul on himself, not really sure. Really rolled back the years in any case. Some shocking misses by both players throughout the course of the match it has to be said though!

That was actually a fantastic 76 break by jimmy to win that match, could have gone for the century but just stopped on the yellow for some reason, might have called a foul on himself, not really sure. Really rolled back the years in any case. Some shocking misses by both players throughout the course of the match it has to be said though!

I think he called a foul against himself. He wasn't having a good game. Just wanted to end it I'd say. The frame before was almost an hour long and had a high break of 14 I think. Very poor snooker from both.

Other way it was great to be there.

The star of the night session was Lou Honghao. He beat Michael White 6-1. He put together some really nice breaks and and looked like one to watch for the future. He wore a black glove on his bridge hand which was strange.

Saw a couple wearing gloves last week so maybe it’s a growing fad. Ross Muir I think was one but it might be more of a Chinese thing given the higher humidity they face over there. Think Selby sometimes wears one in China or has done in the past anyway. Doubt it’ll ever catch on that much and hopefully it won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

English Open starts today and continues throughout the week on Eurosport.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_English_Open_(snooker)
    Ronnie back, unbeaten this season (may not have played many events).

And third whitewash of the season for Ken. Battle to retain his tour card not going very well at the moment to put it mildly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ronnie winning the hearts and minds of the people of Crawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ronnie won his second round match 4-0. Oh yeah, he made a 147 in the fourth frame to win the match. Maybe it's the magic piss smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

7 minutes...he's slowing down with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Un Nooh made a nice and pacy maximum the other day also. Included a nice little plant to middle half way through.

He missed the black for the 147 a few years back at the UK, and was a bit of a celeb for the week, for the way he handled it at the time. I remember Chris Evans had him on the TFI friday reboot.

Ronnie been exposed a bit tonight, no way he couldn’t have known he fouled that red. Not very convincing in his post match interview I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Watched it there, and it's so obvious it's hard to believe he could think he'd get away with it, which makes me think he didn't actually realise what he did.

In fairness to Ronnie, he's not a cheat and I've seen him call plenty of foul on himself down the years.

I think a lot of people calling him out on this often have a axe to grind and don't like him as a player anyway.

I’m not sure you have to have an axe to grind to find the defence of him less than credible here. He’s hit that red a fair whack and if he doesn’t see it, he’s got to hear it. And if he doesn’t see or hear it, he’s got to feel it.

Can’t see into or read his mind, but whatever shred of doubt I had about it was erased with his post match interview. Suffice to say I don’t believe he will be troubling the oscars judging panel with a that “performance”. When he called the commentator out for not having it stopped, I was convinced he was just spoofing. That’s my take on it anyway for what it’s worth.

That Leo Honghao might be a serious one to watch. He only turned pro this year. I watched him in Barnsley last week where he walloped Michael White 6-1. He hit 2 centuries in that match too.

This week he gets to the semi final. That must move him up the rankings significantly. I know some of the Chinese fellas can burn bright early and go off the boil, but I’ll be keeping an eye on this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I’m not sure you have to have an axe to grind to find the defence of him less than credible here. He’s hit that red a fair whack and if he doesn’t see it, he’s got to hear it. And if he doesn’t see or hear it, he’s got to feel it.

Can’t see into or read his mind, but whatever shred of doubt I had about it was erased with his post match interview. Suffice to say I don’t believe he will be troubling the oscars judging panel with a that “performance”. When he called the commentator out for not having it stopped, I was convinced he was just spoofing. That’s my take on it anyway for what it’s worth.

I think with the cue resting on the rest as he moves it away and him focussing on the object ball then the white, I could accept the didn't notice hitting the red.
    But like you say we can't read his mind.

I'm a massive O Sullivan fan, my favourite player ever, and I found the interview after strange for some reason too. But maybe it's a difficult situation to react in even if you hadn't done anything wrong.

On a side note, he's been awfully rude on the couch all week in my opinion.

Looking forward to today's matches anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Inviere

Absolutely benefit of the doubt for me, he’s called much worse on himself before. With tv cameras there too, it was always going to be picked up

• Advertisement

Ronnie sometimes boils my p1ss but I must say I’ve seen him call plenty of fouls against himself. Even in situations where it really didn’t suit him, he has still called fouls against himself.

I think he’s sometimes an asshole who does things like sit next to his opponent and pick his nose which is rude and gross. But I’d give him the benefit of the doubt re cheating to be honest.

If people want to give him benefit of doubt that’s fine, but I personally don’t find it relevant what fouls he called in the past. This time he didn’t and I’m 99.9% certain he let the moment pass for whatever reason, he had a split second opportunity to call it and instinct compelled him to let it go. That’s just how I see it.

To put it in perspective I don’t see it as blatant cheating. It was unintentional and unfortunate. It’s just that snooker makes so much out of that honour code, it is sacrosanct, and this just highlights it a bit. There are times when it’s very easy to call a foul on yourself, other times not so much.

Anyway, fair play to Lyu for pushing him so hard. Could have been 4-2 and then we’d see what he was truly made of. One concern is he tends to be a bit reckless at times, not as bad as Zhao Xintong, but might undermine him a bit if he doesn’t address it imo.

Tonight Ronnie plays a top 50 ranked player for the first time in the tournament. I can’t imagine someone has ever reached a ranking final having not faced anyone ranked higher than 45. Amazing stat really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

That's the worst I've ever seen Ronnie play, but very pleased for Davis. Seems like a very nice guy, hope he does the business tomorrow.

No disrespect to Mark, very happy for him, but that was pretty much a no show from ronnie tonight for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Bit of an anti climax. Ronnie not at the races at all.

Fair play to Davis anyway, will be rooting for him tomorrow.

Absolute rubbish. Seems like Foulds thinks Sight Right is to blame. Hope Davis wins now, seems a nice bloke.

I really like foulds as an analyst but I do think he was barking up the wrong tree a bit tonight. Don’t think he specifically aimed any criticism of sight right though.

When he referred to unnecessary tinkering surely that's what he was on about? Eurosport is so far ahead of BBC now with the exception of the insufferable Joe Johnson. Dave Hendon, Foulds, Dale, and even Studd and Hallett are enjoyable. BBC only really have Hendry saying anything of note these days.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    When he referred to unnecessary tinkering surely that's what he was on about? Eurosport is so far ahead of BBC now with the exception of the insufferable Joe Johnson. Dave Hendon, Foulds, Dale, and even Studd and Hallett are enjoyable. BBC only really have Hendry saying anything of note these days.

Completely agree with you. Didn’t hear Phil Yates this week and that’s a good thing far as I’m concerned! Goldstein I find is prone to asking the odd silly question but he’s not the worst, chemistry between him and jimmy can be entertaining. Foulds is different class I think. Way ahead of stale bbc coverage in my estimation.

I guess foulds was questioning it indirectly, though Im not sure ronnie is actually using sight right. When jimmy spoke about it, he seemed to suggest ronnie was merely checking it out due to curiosity rather than committing to it in any significant way.

Advertisement