Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1m for forever home, where to live that's commutable to Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Stheno wrote: »
    Malahide would tick a lot of boxes.

I would go for Malahide too or maybe Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

lollpop wrote: »
    With that budget I would definitely go for Dublin. Commuting from the surrounding counties when you have children (and have creche/school drop offs and collections) can be very stressful.

+1 to that.

I recently bought a house and paid €100k more to buy a smaller house on the southside than we could have bought on the northside but on the flipside, it's a five minute walk to the Luas, it's a ten minute drive to my office which is right beside my daughters creche and next year it'll take ten minutes to walk my eldest daughter to school. We leave home at 8:45 in the morning and we're home by 5:45 in the evening. Family time beats having a garden that we'd never see.

Edit: my children wake up at 5am and 6am so I get a *lot* of family time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Look along the dart or LUAS Green line so you have easy access to the city for work, there is no point having a nice home only to spend all day in the car. I live in Shankill , would tick most of your boxes but I only see one house at 720K that might be suitable.

Also look at good bus services for example fox rock on the 46A route...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bloody hell that house is crap for the money, purely buying the view. No thanks. You would get a nicer and much bigger house for 300k outside Dublin.

And the proximity to the city, the good schools, excellent public transport links (DART and bus), good restaurants and cafés, the coastal setting beside the beach and close to parks, it's a well established, incredible area with a good community that boasts stunning amenities.

So, if you're interested in the above (which the OP is). It might actually good money for a house. He/she doesn't want a few hours commute from outside Dublin and then back again every day! A 300K "mansion" outside Dublin along with a grinding commute would be hell for a lot of people.

Just because you don't like beaches, parks, public transport, restaurants etc.. doesn't mean everyone else dislikes them. In fact, it's the opposite. The market proves that with the price tag on the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Castleknock for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/the-cottage-strawberry-beds-castleknock-dublin-1271554/

if you look around, theres ordinary house,s with large gardens .
    All over dublin .
    Buy the house ,then add on 2 bedrooms, and a lounge, rec room .
    Should be easy to get planning permission to build behind the house .
    Even some corner houses on estates have large gardens .
    Your commute should be 30 minutes max .

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

With that sort of budget you don't need to be screwing yourself over with a big commute.

100% buy in Dublin, somewhere along the green Luas or along the coast IMO. You won't be buying a small inner-city shoe box for that kind of cash.

Do you have to work in Dublin? If you could get similar work in Cork or Galway cities you could buy a savage house and a nice bit of land with it for less than your budget in either counties and be well within a hours commute to the city? I would be avoiding Dublin if at all possible if I was you, different of course if you are from there originally or have family there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Do you have to work in Dublin? If you could get similar work in Cork or Galway cities you could buy a savage house and a nice bit of land with it for less than your budget in either counties and be well within a hours commute to the city? I would be avoiding Dublin if at all possible if I was you, different of course if you are from there originally or have family there.

Or like the place.

Elliott S wrote: »
    Or like the place.

I was just giving my opinion and another option by suggesting working elsewhere. Dublin is pretty much the last place in the country I would want to live myself.

• Advertisement

Well, they said they need somewhere commutable to Dublin CC so I don't see the point in suggesting other parts of the country. They are not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I agree that coastal locations are best if you have a decent budget,, I grew up in Howth, was a great place to live. 30 min Dart to city center,, on the coast,, grew up sailing,, good schools,, coastal walks,, safe,, If I could afford it I would be there now,,, second for me is Clontarf .. close to city,, again coastal walks,, nice parks,, good schools..

For that budget I would look there,, For me it's something like this maybe in Howth, then Clontarf then maybe Dalkey..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

superman28 wrote: »
    I agree that coastal locations are best if you have a decent budget,, I grew up in Howth, was a great place to live. 30 min Dart to city center,, on the coast,, grew up sailing,, good schools,, coastal walks,, safe,, If I could afford it I would be there now,,, second for me is Clontarf .. close to city,, again coastal walks,, nice parks,, good schools..

For that budget I would look there,, For me it's something like this maybe in Howth, then Clontarf then maybe Dalkey..

Agreed on location but not a hope in hell would I buy that ugly yoke, can't believe they got planning for it and from the year it was built and those photos I'd say it's all style and no substance so really bad & cheap build quality.

Agreed on location but not a hope in hell would I buy that ugly yoke, can't believe they got planning for it and from the year it was built and those photos I'd say it's all style and no substance so really bad & cheap build quality.

Amazing how taste differs, I was going to comment on how I really liked the house :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

superman28 wrote: »

For a million quid I would want a garden.

Dalkey, Sandycove, parts of Glenageary, parts of Dun Laoghaire would get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Goatstown for me. 5 minute walk to the Luas / Dundrum town centre.
    Takes me around 15 minutes to cycle to Stephen's Green. Easy access to the M50. We send the kids to St Killians, just down the road, and hopefully, they'll be off to UCD afterwards which is also just down the road.

We lived in Sandyford originally, which was a bit remote but nice enough, but I'm happier where we are now. 1M will buy you a decent house there.

I think it's quite nice, if a little officey looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Stheno wrote: »
    Malahide would tick a lot of boxes.

Agreed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mr.S wrote: »
    Commuting every day to Dublin? :eek: you'd go nuts.

It depends on where in Dublin and by what mode of transport and what time of day .
    Maynooth to the city centre is about a 30 minute drive or 45 max on the train .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Dublin I love Sutton ,Howth ,Malahide, Clontarf and Castleknock are all great locations . 1m won't go to far in some of them but they are great locations .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on where in Dublin and by what mode of transport and what time of day .
    Maynooth to the city centre is about a 30 minute drive or 45 max on the train .

I commuted from Maynooth, now im very happy to pay the premium to live closer to the city as it drove me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

OhBlaDee5 wrote: »
    We're in the very fortunate position to be moving back to Ireland and have a house budget of 1m. We're both Irish but been living in the US for past 10 yrs. Need somewhere that's commutable up to an hour to Dublin city centre. We're looking for the dream house. We have young children, looking for somewhere that has a nice community feel, good schools, reasonable transport links, and is generally a decent area to bring up a family. Would really appreciate suggestions. Looking at South/North Co Dublin, parts of Meath and Wicklow but tbh I feel I've been gone for Ireland for so long that I don't know areas anymore (granted I never really knew Wicklow). Thanks!

Howth. You can get a lot for that sort of money there right now, and it's a beautiful part of Dublin with a great local school and local stuff for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Moonbeam wrote:
    Maynooth to the city centre is about a 30 minute drive

At what time?

Between 5 and 7pm,mon-friday the roads all over dublin become very busy,
    travelling by bus,luas or train is faster at those times.
    Than driving a car
    i presume the buyer wants a large house , a large garden, privacy and quiet ,So he wants to buy a 1 off , house , not a house thats 10 ft from his neighbours on a road, or in an estate .
    my friend ,bought old house ,with 2 acres, knocked it down,
    built house on the same site,
    14 minutes drive from the local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

riclad wrote: »
    Between 5 and 7pm,mon-friday the roads all over dublin become very busy,
    travelling by bus,luas or train is faster at those times.
    Than driving a c
    i presume the buyer wants a large house , a large garden, privacy and quiet ,So he wants to buy a 1 off , house , not a house thats 10 ft from his neighbours on a road, or in an estate .
    my friend ,bought old house ,with 2 acres, knocked it down,
    built house on the same site,
    14 minutes drive from the local town.

Why assume that? The OP might very much want proximity to work and, more importantly, services and facilities. I paid a significant amount more than the OP proposes (also moved back from overseas) and I don't even have a 10 ft gap to my neighbour! Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would live by the sea nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Moonbeam wrote: »

895k and you have to pay for a parking permit. those notions can go die in a fire. That is pure insanity.

• Advertisement

I Would buy a one off house with a large garden ,near a luas or railway station .
    One with a large drive way, no permit needed .loads of space for 3 cars to
    park .If i had 800k to spend.
    Commute means to me , the person does not want to buy in an urban area ,or a city centre area .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement