Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a house in 2016/17

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the corpo wrote: »
    Has there been a huge increase in tender quotes people are getting back? We've been tendering for a single story extension on a house in Dublin 16, and the quotes have been shocking, firstly for the disparity between them - the highest quotes are 50/60% higher than the lowest ones - and then even the lowest quote has been 2,600 per sqm. No gold plated jacuzzi's or anything in the plan...

Maybe we've been just been very unlucky with the companies we've approached, how best to source a reputable list of contractors to approach?

Prices are on the up and up.
    My contractor cousins are pricing jobs 2 months before commencement and they have to add on a bit as they know that by the time they start, the materials will have risen ever so slightly.

Most recent job in Dublin 20. 71 Sq. M single storey extension, wrap around the house, modern looking clean lines with triple galazing throughout and replacement triple glazing to existing house coming in at €2046 per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭the corpo

It's really disheartening, we thought we'd be having Christmas in our ace new extension 8(

If it's allowed and anyone might PM me recommended contractors, that'd be amazing!

It's really disheartening, we thought we'd be having Christmas in our ace new extension 8(

If it's allowed and anyone might PM me recommended contractors, that'd be amazing!

Where are you based?

South Dublin.

That's been another thing, half the companies tendered said jobs in Dublin just aren't worth their while these days, once they take on board parking hassles/traffic etc. They're getting enough bookings outside the city to keep them going. Far cry from when we got our insulation done 5 years ago, some of the guys were driving to and from Ardee every day...

South Dublin.

That's been another thing, half the companies tendered said jobs in Dublin just aren't worth their while these days, once they take on board parking hassles/traffic etc. They're getting enough bookings outside the city to keep them going. Far cry from when we got our insulation done 5 years ago, some of the guys were driving to and from Ardee every day...

Still a lot of companies driving down from the North.
    One of my sites have a crew from Newry but that's only 1hr up the road.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Still a lot of companies driving down from the North.
    One of my sites have a crew from Newry but that's only 1hr up the road.

Anyone you'd recommend 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fmh

Does anybody have recent information about builders' quotes for one-off houses? We've been talking to a number of professionals (architects and building surveyors) in recent days, and their estimates range between €90 and €125 per square foot (excl. VAT) to bring a 2400 square foot house in the Limerick area to a builder's finish. Since these are all guesstimates, I would be interested in receiving information about what people have actually been quoted for in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ewood1981

if this helps we've just moved into our self build me started last april so costings are recent. house is 185m2 bungalow. timberframe with blockwork and wetdash,. all underfloor heated, 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms, attic trusses  (for a later date) triple glazing 3m bifold door to decking and 430m surround tarmacked. we sourced all workers and bits needed ourselves. from a field to a complete finished build ready to move furniture into it cost a grand total of £102,500 in tyrone. working out £554 a sqm. you will find doing it yourself will save a fortune and is soo worth it! good luck

ewood1981 wrote: »
    if this helps we've just moved into our self build me started last april so costings are recent. house is 185m2 bungalow. timberframe with blockwork and wetdash,. all underfloor heated, 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms, attic trusses  (for a later date) triple glazing 3m bifold door to decking and 430m surround tarmacked. we sourced all workers and bits needed ourselves. from a field to a complete finished build ready to move furniture into it cost a grand total of £102,500 in tyrone. working out £554 a sqm. you will find doing it yourself will save a fortune and is soo worth it! good luck

UK prices can't be matched ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Plus new builds in the north don't pay vat on materials. I've built myself and you'll do well to do it for €1,100/€1,300 a meter

• Advertisement

Bad_alibi wrote: »

Plus new builds in the north don't pay vat on materials. I've built myself and you'll do well to do it for €1,100/€1,300 a meter

I did say if it helps him. We're 1 mile from the border and our concrete, blocks, stonework and bathroom suites were all bought around donegal as we found them far cheaper. As we self built the only part we didn't pay VAT on was the timber frame and labour, everything else bought in North had 20% vat. All other VAT had to be claimed back after completion. So our total has just over 7k vat from North to be returned yet which will drop per sqm further.

I did say if it helps him.

Agh not disputing that, didn't mean to sound like I was dismissing your post.
    We're 1 mile from the border and our concrete, blocks, stonework and bathroom suites were all bought around donegal as we found them far cheaper. As we self built the only part we didn't pay VAT on was the timber frame and labour, everything else bought in North had 20% vat. All other VAT had to be claimed back after completion. So our total has just over 7k vat from North to be returned yet which will drop per sqm further.

I understand, but apples and oranges when comparing building from UK/NI to IRL. The costs associated with your build can not be matched here.

I notice from your other posts, that you got your kitchen for 4,600 when every other supplier was quoting 10-11k, that's a massive saving in itself.

Best of luck in the new house btw

I did say if it helps him.

Agh not disputing that, didn't mean to sound like I was dismissing your post.
    We're 1 mile from the border and our concrete, blocks, stonework and bathroom suites were all bought around donegal as we found them far cheaper. As we self built the only part we didn't pay VAT on was the timber frame and labour, everything else bought in North had 20% vat. All other VAT had to be claimed back after completion. So our total has just over 7k vat from North to be returned yet which will drop per sqm further.

I understand, but apples and oranges when comparing building from UK/NI to IRL. The costs associated with your build can not be matched here.

I notice from your other posts, that you got your kitchen for 4,600 when every other supplier was quoting 10-11k, that's a massive saving in itself.

Best of luck in the new house btw

Thanks. Sorry gobsmacked at the price variances between us! Didn't realise at all! First time and last time building and thought I'd share how we got it a heck of a lot cheaper sourcing all ourselves rather than using a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

fmh wrote: »
    Does anybody have recent information about builders' quotes for one-off houses? We've been talking to a number of professionals (architects and building surveyors) in recent days, and their estimates range between €90 and €125 per square foot (excl. VAT) to bring a 2400 square foot house in the Limerick area to a builder's finish. Since these are all guesstimates, I would be interested in receiving information about what people have actually been quoted for in recent months.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057657235

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I currently have a builder doing my house in Offaly and it's costing €1,050 per sq m to build a 245sq m house to builders finish. This includes stairs, all tiling supply & fit (not carpet), kitchen, heating system, (a2w, ufh, mhrv), 2 small stoves supply and fit, all sanitaryware.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

220,000 for 143.5 sq mt Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tourmakeady

Hi I have just finished my 2800 sq foot house in mayo for 150k. I have high end fittings and furniture in source them from abroad and built the house my self and got my friends in to do carpentry and plumbing mates rates of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Hi I have just finished my 2800 sq foot house in mayo for 150k. I have high end fittings and furniture in source them from abroad and built the house my self and got my friends in to do carpentry and plumbing mates rates of course

Not much use to the average self builder but fair play if you got it done for that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi well done on you build.

What was your air-tightness result?

And how did you get on with BER compliance?

€54 a square foot! That's unheard of, even for mayo.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

€54 a square foot! That's unheard of, even for mayo.
    Well done.

not when there was clearly a mountain of free labour.....great to see someone with the ability to do it but clearly not a comparison that is of much use to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have been told in Limerick €130per sqft at the moment to builders finish but prices are sky rocketing. I was told that even in the last 6 months the price of labour has been rising and in another 6 months it will probably be even higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fmh

Jofspring, what's the source of that estimate? I have been talking to a number of engineers and architects (obviously, they are not builders) in recent days, and their figures ranged between €85 and €125 per sqft incl. VAT to builders finish. Most suggest around €115 incl. VAT.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

All per ft2 prices are averages and very average at best. I have Architects who include joinery in their averages and others who don't. Some include kitchens and sanitary ware others don't. Some tiles, floors others not etc.

It very much changes from person to person and they should not be relied upon as a factual basis for determining cost of a build. To do this is dangerous. They generally only work for people looking at spec housing and multiple units and don't work on one offs because of the exacting nature of an individual site and its impact on cost, the shape, and standard of construction and finish that this one job is aiming for.

In respect to the labour issue, this is been used more and more as an excuse as to why tenders are coming back higher than thought (generally again based on ft2 estimates). The reality is that whereas labour costs are increasing in real terms for builders from their subcontractors etc, the tender market has not seen this increase due to the fact it is still very competitive and builders are under-cutting each other across the board. Until this stops or the unions take an industry wide approach (which used be the way under the registered employment agreements) we wont see the true impact of labour cost increases in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Jofspring

fmh wrote: »
    Jofspring, what's the source of that estimate? I have been talking to a number of engineers and architects (obviously, they are not builders) in recent days, and their figures ranged between €85 and €125 per sqft incl. VAT to builders finish. Most suggest around €115 incl. VAT.

Had a chat with a QS in Limerick. He only built a house for himself recently also. As KKelliher is saying though it's only a rough proce. He was saying you would probably be leaning towards upwards in cost, (depending on finish) rather than downwards. Note the architect had told us around €100 per sqft when we started talking 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Finished a 2300sq ft 1.5 storey house just under a year ago. Came in roughly at €190000. That included doing a few bits and pieces ourselves painting etc but nothing major as neither of us had much experience in building. All in all we probably saved €5000 - €7000 in doing work ourselves.

Spec is relatively good..A2 BER. Spent a good lot on insulation, air tightness etc. However a good many of the rooms are not finished..5 rooms in all are literally just concrete floors, skirting and whitewashed walls. No landscaping done either and the site was free aside from solicitor costs.

When we went in we of course thought we could do it for cheaper but it never works out like that unless you have a trade yourself. Still think getting in at €82 per square ft is decent going for the spec we got at the end despite the unfinished rooms/outside. If anyone wants any other particular costs or any more info feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Nickypicky wrote:
    220,000 for 143.5 sq mt Cork
    What part of cork?
    That sounds awfully expensive or am i reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

any idea of rough estimates in Waterford for a basic box shaped,open plan kitchen/living room and 4 bedroom estimated 1700 sq.ft to a fairly high spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭terrarev

For what it's worth, currently approaching the end of a build in Galway and we're looking at around €1230 p/m2 moved in. This is a contract build with no work done my ourselves apart from painting. This is proposed as A2 BER with UFH/A2W/MHRV with air tightness of <1m3/(h.m2)@50pa.
    The house is mainly bungalow with an upstairs conversion of about 25% of the total floor area so there is an added cost there but the spec is reasonably standard. We could easily have gone higher on a number of items (windows are PVC rather than AlcuClad for example) so I wouldn't consider the price we're paying as at the higher end of things. We had a competitive tendering process too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Thank you Terrarev for you post much appreciated. The very best of luck in your new home !

Advertisement