Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Retro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Collecting a lot of jar tops, old Christmas cards and Christmassy pictures from magazines. Pictures cut out in circles to fit the lids and pasted inside. Strings of wool to hang on tree. Beautiful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loving the foil decorations.

Lemons dropped a few of my favorites such as the coconut macaroon and one of the lemon ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pigtail33

We used to get Lemon's Seasons Greetings every year. They were always opened before dinner on Christmas Day. It was nice to have a box of sweets that weren't all chocolate based. But they dropped a lot of our favourites so the last few years, we have bought separate little bags of what we actually like in them (toffees, jellies, fudge, sherbets etc.) although we can no longer find Iced Caramels anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Thanks, I'll check them our tomorrow. They're not even that nice, it's more for nostalgia! 

I saw a packet of Lemons Seasons Greetings opened tonight. There all in separate bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Madd002

Nooooo!!!! I don't believe it, will have to see if their in other stores, I'm dunnes buy they not in yet, I've kept Tins and a few boxes so that my kids can pull them out and remember when, Another favourite of mine was the navy Tim of Danish cookies.

An old and battered tin I found a few years ago!

That's lovely and pics of old sweets, why did the ever miss with the originals 😪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Profits sadly. After a while when they realised that people were going to buy purely off nostalgia and name recognition alone they switched to cheaper ingredients to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

For many years a great aunt used to visit our house on the 26th Dec armed with a box of Lemons Seasons Greetings. - always reminds me of her annual visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Remember those type of visits from extended family. Or sometimes we’d go to them. Always made Christmas memorable. Then older cousins grew up & stopped coming. Elderly relatives passed on….

On a tangent, every October bank holiday weekend my next door neighbour would get a visit from his two sisters (both nuns). On the Monday the two of them would always call to our house & have tea & cake with my mother. Happened every year without fail all through the 1970s & 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

My wife said her granny used to call at Christmas every year with them too. I told her I'm def going to buy a box of Lemons this year for nostalgia alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah guys, I remember the Seasons Greetings well but absolutely hated the vile things!! 🤣

Nothing quite like the crushing disappointment of a relative visiting at Christmas and giving us a box of those 🫣

My earliest really memory of Lemons Seasons Greetings is from Christmas 2001. I'd have been 9.

I was with my Aunt and I loved Santa been on the box and we got a box to watch The Late Late Toy Show that evening.

We continued to get them for years and we generally opened them on Christmas Eve night.

Last year was probably the first year we gave them a miss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not a bad lineup for BBC1 Christmas Day 1992.

And christmas Eve 92

Came across this on adverts.ie €10

I'm 40's but don't recall them being in a brown box, wonder what year its from.

Christmas Eve 2000 BBC1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lorna Doone on Christmas Eve... baffling scheduling there from the BBC. Nothing festive about it. Not even in the ghost story for Christmas strand. Sort of like Poldark but with more people on the receiving ends of swords and muskets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Christmas Day 1995

Christmas Day 1988

Christmas Eve 1990

NYE 1991

NYD 1991

Christmas Day 1991

Christmas Day 1987

Christmas Day 1994

Click on the photos to zoom in more to read them.

Any of RTE listing, we only had the 2 channels 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day 1992 on RTE (from Classic RTE Guides FB page)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Those TV guides take me back to my childhood. My father would highlight lots of programs and the funny thing was plenty were on at similar times on different channels. Oh the good old days of deciding what to watch on the 6 channels. Then came the video recorder and that got plenty of use and helped with the dilemma. Trying to find the program on the blank tapes was the fun part 😂.

Nowadays you just press record on multiple channels and watch when you want on Sky box, the kids nowadays have it so easy 😆.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade - a great Christmas choice! I always remember Christmas was the time to see brand new films that hadn't been aired before. It was each channel's big draw for an audience. If you hadn't seen it in the cinema then you hadn't seen it. Both Indiana Jones and Driving Miss Daisy were made in 1989 so Christmas 1992 was probably their first showing here. Imagine the excitement 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And skipping ahead for clashes to see if there's a repeat in a different slot or airing on a different channel :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Is that photo caption a description of Moonstruck or Cher's hair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Not exactly retro, but since I was a kid I always loved the TV times covers and I’ve always bought them every year. I’m sorry I didn’t keep any of down through the years.

Advertisement