Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Boring game I must say. Plus it's buggy as hell. I'm very disappointed. I might re-evaluate it once it has been released and some bugs have been ironed out.

The reason its buggy is it is still in beta testing! Thats the whole idea of beta, to iron out the bugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 padraigggg

<--Star Trek fan -- Interested

Will likely not play because I don't, in general, like the idea of being a ship. While technically a captain, if you are also the crew, I don't see the difference. Sure there are going to be Away missions to get you & your crew into new adventures, but in the end, you're still a group.

I primarily play WoW & still fire up Ultima Online because I enjoy being an individual rp'g with other individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Yeah its repetitive cause its still in beta and you are limited to 1 sector and a lvl cap of 16.

they are trying to work bugs out before they go forward testing other parts of the game

The 'it's in beta' excuse doesn't really work 2 weeks before launch. They can iron at the bugs, but if the game doesn't drastically change after level 16 I really don't hold any hope for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Eurogamer have 5000 keys to give away, I got mine there was 2972 keys remaining

http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=86998

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yeah its repetitive cause its still in beta and you are limited to 1 sector and a lvl cap of 16.

they are trying to work bugs out before they go forward testing other parts of the game
    I understand its beta, I've played a lot of MMO's and a lot of betas, but so far the game stinks of just a Star Trek skin put an old MMO with old ideas and nothing new just to make a quick buck.

I really hope I'm wrong, I hope there is some innovation and it turns out to be a great and interesting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

People spouting the "its only a beta" line need to wake up bigtime. The amount of bugs in the starting areas alone is shocking for a game thats going to launch in 2 weeks.

Startrek online is Champions online with a re-textured skin and suffers from the exact same problems as CO with very limited content. With out farming the hell out of the repeatable patrol and Deep Space BO's you will very soon hit a wall of the Episodes being way above your level and insanely hard to boot. Tho credit to the Cryptic devs for at least sticking in the repeatables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Venom wrote: »
    People spouting the "its only a beta" line need to wake up bigtime. The amount of bugs in the starting areas alone is shocking for a game thats going to launch in 2 weeks.

Startrek online is Champions online with a re-textured skin and suffers from the exact same problems as CO with very limited content. With out farming the hell out of the repeatable patrol and Deep Space BO's you will very soon hit a wall of the Episodes being way about your level and insanely hard to boot. Tho credit to the Cryptic devs for at least sticking in the repeatables.

Unfortunatly as an infrequent MMO player it just plays like a retextured WoW with space ships. Warhammer Online had the same feeling, City of Heroes had the same (although it managed to add some intresting stuff) and STO has more or less the same feeling with some space bits in there to jazz it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im really not impressed with the game at all.

excluding the fact its a beta

The graphics remind me of armada II's auto director. its incredibly buggy and full of holes considering its going to launch in 2 weeks.

PvP is fun on the ground for a time, in space its a case of zerging, theres no real strategy, whoever has the most ships win.

Overall im bored after 3 days... (i have level 14 klingon and a level 13 feddy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Really enjoying it myself. Sure there's bugs and problems which at this point I don't see being fixed by launch, but they will be fixed, and I think it's got a good future. In fact, I've just gone for the lifetime subscription special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

patching is sooooooo slow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

lol at people bitching at the bugs :)

Did you notice the bug button in the game?

When you see a bug, do us all a favour and report it. The beta is not a free trail to the full game.

Betas' are used for stress testing the servers and the game itself and getting feedback from the the players.

Also have you noticed the version the beta is at? It's like 0.2.
    So by release day that should be at 1.0 and that is alot of patching and debugging there.

I for one can't wait for this game. :) Would have liken to get a Lifetime Sub but haven't got €200 readily availible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

join irish channel fro good craic :P

join irish channel fro good craic :P

Ha what ya mean? :)

me slaggin the ship for not turning fast enuff :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Was watching some people playing the game via live streaming last night, doesn't look too bad at all. Interface looks a bit clunky and confusing though.

Anyone know if they're going to allow third party interface modifications like in Wow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

jaggeh wrote: »
    im really not impressed with the game at all.

excluding the fact its a beta

The graphics remind me of armada II's auto director. its incredibly buggy and full of holes considering its going to launch in 2 weeks.

PvP is fun on the ground for a time, in space its a case of zerging, theres no real strategy, whoever has the most ships win.

Overall im bored after 3 days... (i have level 14 klingon and a level 13 feddy)

How the hell did you level up that fast, do you never sleep!? o_Ó
    I fear I must be doing something very wrong, I've only managed to reached lvl 6 fed after about 10hrs play.

To me the game is very like Star Fleet Command 3 and Deep Space 9 - The Fallen. Meh not great, but it'll keep me entertained for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

azezil wrote: »
    How the hell did you level up that fast, do you never sleep!? o_Ó
    I fear I must be doing something very wrong, I've only managed to reached lvl 6 fed after about 10hrs play.

To me the game is very like Star Fleet Command 3 and Deep Space 9 - The Fallen. Meh not great, but it'll keep me entertained for a couple of months.

PvP mostly you get a LOT of xp from it, other than that theres not much else to do but fleet engagements and thats only to grind gear.
    lol at people bitching at the bugs

Did you notice the bug button in the game?

When you see a bug, do us all a favour and report it. The beta is not a free trail to the full game.

Betas' are used for stress testing the servers and the game itself and getting feedback from the the players.

Also have you noticed the version the beta is at? It's like 0.2.
    So by release day that should be at 1.0 and that is alot of patching and debugging there.

no i hadnt seen that button at all, i havent been active in betas for the last 10 years at all :rolleyes:

my point is unless they have 1000 monkeys at 1000 keyboards their chances of coming up with the works of Shakespeare are next to none in the next what 18 days?

although this is all moot now as my beta key got disabled. hooray :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its probably going to be the blurst of times tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Quite a few bugs alright. Yesterday I was controling my character in space instead of the ship.

Quite a few bugs alright. Yesterday I was controling my character in space instead of the ship.

I was the other way around. At one point, when I beamed down I was controlling a ship instead of a character until it fixed itself. I lol'd :D

So far enjoying the game anyway. Yes there is problems to be worked out but that's why it's in beta. Report any bugs you find so they can fix them.

I am a bit confused however. I hear people talking about creating Klingon. I don't even know how to do this... I only started yesterday but it only allows me to create feds...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Noxin wrote: »
    I am a bit confused however. I hear people talking about creating Klingon. I don't even know how to do this... I only started yesterday but it only allows me to create feds...
    You can create a Klingon character after you get to lvl6 as a Federation character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I was the other way around. At one point, when I beamed down I was controlling a ship instead of a character until it fixed itself. I lol'd :D

Yes but this bug also allows you to duplicate items when it happens. :P

When you hit rank 6 fed you will be able to create a klingon toon. That will also be level 6.

That would explain it so... Thanks!

so anyone still with it .. headstart .. release ? :confused:

for better or Blurst :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

so anyone still with it .. headstart .. release ? :confused:

for better or Blurst :P
    Headstarts begins Friday afaik.

I'll probably play for the first month, but can't see myself staying longer than that.

would be nice if we could get enuff for an irish fleet :D c-mon Darkie you know u wanna. Beef Pants Brigade Assemble ! :eek:

ye im going to see how the free 30 days go :)
    If its any use ill pay a sub :)

Irish Fleet FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Ive tried the beta.

Like the space combat. Bit meh on the rest of it.

But my inner star trek nerd is commanding me to get it and stick with it...

so would the irish fleet be feds or klings ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

so would the irish fleet be feds or klings ? :confused:

Klingons, we are a warior race, RAWR, etc.

Advertisement