Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Just search Glasgow warriors. It was the first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

damianmcr wrote: »
    Just search Glasgow warriors. It was the first result.

Cheers lad! Typed in Glasgow v Ulster and it didn't come up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Finally got round to watching the game on YouTube.

Disappointing to lose, but some exciting play.

The backs looked sharp. Hume played really well. He looks quicker than last year, although maybe the Glasgow pitch makes players looked quicker. He went a bit under the radar last year compared to the likes of Lowry and Balacoune, it will be interesting to see how he does this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »

The backs looked sharp. Hume played really well. He looks quicker than last year, although maybe the Glasgow pitch makes players looked quicker. He went a bit under the radar last year compared to the likes of Lowry and Balacoune, it will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Hume looked v'good. A few defensive blips, understandable for a young guy. But was impressed with his workmate trying to get back involved after them.

Can't think I've ever seen a stronger Ulster backline 11-15. So many choices and combinations. Which I also believe is only going to get stronger over next few years with more exposure for the young guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

launish116 wrote: »

Can't think I've ever seen a stronger Ulster backline 11-15.

Trimble, Bowe, Gilroy, Payne, Olding, Cave, Marshall, McCloskey!!!!

Wasn't too long ago!!

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

Wasn't too long ago!!

Fair enough! I'll reword that to a squad covering that backline.

But if more than two of them were injured we were scraping the barrel. We Literally have an abundance of players for most positions now, were the standard doesn't fall of a cliff. Point is our current crop are only going to get better.

mfceiling wrote: »

Wasn't too long ago!!

Hard to believe that only 3 of them are left

I still wish we got to see Farrell and McCloskey together over an extended period of time. I know Farrell might not be the player he is now without his time in France, but that would of been a frightening midfield.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I still wish we got to see Farrell and McCloskey together over an extended period of time. I know Farrell might not be the player he is now without his time in France, but that would of been a frightening midfield.

Yeah, it would have been interesting. Although despite what Joe Schmidt thinks I wouldn't swap the two of them.

Personally I think McCloskey is a superior player in pretty much every way.

But hey...in Joe we trust!

I also think Addison and McCloskey is potentially the best midfield partnership among the provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I also think Addison and McCloskey is potentially the best midfield partnership among the provinces.

I wouldn't say they're better than Henshaw/Ringrose, but I'd say they'd definitely be better than Aki/Farrell or Scannell/Farrell.

However I'd say if Burns steps his game up, Ulster could definitely hang in there (if not better) against any top backline with everyone fit and rearing.

It's an exciting season for Ulster, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

It’s such a pity outside of knockout rugby we don’t get to see the provincial teams go toe to toe. The aerial battle between Adam Byrne and Stockdale in the 1/4 was exceptional.

Addison, Timoney and Moore reportedly unavailable this weekend.

I wonder what the team will be...always fun to guess

My guess...

McGrath
    Herring
    Kane
    Carter
    Treadwell
    Rea
    Reidy
    Murphy
    Cooney
    Burns
    Lyttle
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Gilroy
    Faddes

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good job we're at home anyway with our official travel partner going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »

Only signed a 3 year deal last month with them too. Wonder will it have a big effect financially assuming Ulster have to pay out of pocket for all travel unless a deal is struck elsewhere.

awec wrote: »

Didn't know that.

How far in advance do Ulster book away trips? We go to SA for a fortnight next week

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Lyttle is injured I think Bilston
    Wingers Robert Baloucoune and Rob Lyttle are also expected to feature when Ulster release an official injury update later this week.

Possibly Faddes on the wing with Lowry at 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Lyttle really struggled to stay fit... disappointing as he's a talented lad.

Ulster team to play Ospreys, Guinness PRO14 Round 1, Friday 27 September 2019 at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):

(15-9): Matt Faddes; Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, James Hume, Rob Lyttle; Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Jack McGrath, Rob Herring (Capt), Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Jordi Murphy, Sean Reidy.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Michael Lowry, Louis Ludik.

• Advertisement

That’s a very good back line for a team missing Stockdale, McCloskey, Addison and Baloucoune!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm looking forward to seeing how Jack McGrath plays. He's been a shadow of the player that was a test Lion in 2017 and he rightfully lost his place in the World Cup squad because of it. Maybe a change of scenery and McFarland's coaching can give him the boost he really needs.

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Jack McGrath plays. He's been a shadow of the player that was a test Lion in 2017 and he rightfully lost his place in the World Cup squad because of it. Maybe a change of scenery and McFarland's coaching can give him the boost he really needs.

Interesting to see how McGrath goes. Although he won't go unchallenged, I thought Eric O'Sullivan was brilliant last year and probably offers more around the park.

Interesting to see how McGrath goes. Although he won't go unchallenged, I thought Eric O'Sullivan was brilliant last year and probably offers more around the park.

O'Sullivan was unreal last season!

Some real opportunity fir rotation and keeping players fresh this season. No excuse for a goid start during RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Is this an early indication of Lowry being second choice 10 ahead of Bill Johnson?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Is this an early indication of Lowry being second choice 10 ahead of Bill Johnson?

The fact that Lowry can cover a few positions probably helps too. I know Ludik covers fullback,wing and centre,making Lowry's versatility less important, but if you had a couple of injuries in the backline it would be of benefit.
    In saying that, I'm disappointed not to see Johnston at least on the bench.

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Who knows? Johnston didn't feature that heavily in the two pre season games.

Ulster looked very impressive with Lowry in the Glasgow game at Kingspan. Cooney, Lowry and Marshall were a delight to watch at times. Then again I'm not sure how strong the Glasgow side were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Be interesting to see if Jordi gets pulled from the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Is the Ulster game on free to air tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

stephen_n wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Jordi gets pulled from the team.

He has been.

Advertisement