Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a gaming pc

• 14-09-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I have been a console gamer for years and want to get into PC gaming.A friend of mine recommended the below build but I want more feedback before committing to it.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D6tqYT

1.What is your budget? [€1,500] willing to go up to €1,800 if necessary.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Streaming to twitch] (If gaming include which games) AAA games (Arkham Knight)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [27''](but am willing to change)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes [Keyboard/Mouse]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? Over the next few months.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

The 1 TB version of that SSD is way better value. 250GB is filled up really fast these days and it's a pain moving game installs around. Easily the best money you'll spend for day-to-day use is an SSD that can actually store a decent amount. 500GB should be viewed as minimum in my mind.

AIOs (the CPU cooler, all in one water cooler), on the other hand isn't worth the price. If you don't like the aesthetic of large heat skins by all means install an AIO but they offer no better performance. You are paying for looks, which I'm not knocking, but keep that in mind. Other's on here will tell if stock heatsink and fan that comes with the CPU is worth tossing.

I'd suspect somebody like Kiko will have some cheaper/better alternatives to some of those items but CPU/Mobo is an excellent call. I'd also consider merging the budget for the monitors and get one really good one. A second 1080p monitor can be picked up second hand for dirt cheap.

Also, don't forget a headset for voice comms. Most these days come with an external USB device that outs to both speaker and the headset so you might want to factor speakers as well. Check the monitor you are buying for speakers and audio in. I can recommend the Steel Series Arctis 7 but by all means research more expensive one. Again, worth the money for day-to-day use. For massive saving on headset, check the Amazon Warehouse. Seems to be a constant number of RMAed headset there. I suspect people just didn't like the fit. Either way, it's no risk for huge reward.

Edit: Kiki not Kiko

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Build it's imbalanced - you can build way better on your budget. Will take a look tomorrow/Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mr May0

The build would have ssd for the system stuff and hdd for games, would it make more sense to have ssd for both. I don't know anything about PC's tbh im not attached to any part of the build it as just the suggested one I got.

I would like a nice looking PC, but it's not the main priority for me. I don't mind if it's fan or liquid cooler I just want to make sure the PC doesn't melt and I don't have great ventilation in either room it would be set up in.

I was considering doing that tbh but it's a minefield with reviews, and having a second screen is something I'd definitely want any advice on where to get one?

I have a pretty decent headset so that's sorted at least, its PC and xbox. I have tried the arctis 3 before and I found them very quiet the only good thing was comfort. Thanks for the feedback ��

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Build it's imbalanced - you can build way better on your budget. Will take a look tomorrow/Monday.

Thanks I really appreciate it, I don't want to buy something that just won't work or will be expensive for no good reason 👍

Mr May0 wrote: »
    The build would have ssd for the system stuff and hdd for games, would it make more sense to have ssd for both. I don't know anything about PC's tbh im not attached to any part of the build it as just the suggested one I got.

I would like a nice looking PC, but it's not the main priority for me. I don't mind if it's fan or liquid cooler I just want to make sure the PC doesn't melt and I don't have great ventilation in either room it would be set up in.

Dump the AIO and you can sink that into a 1TB NVME SSD. For day-to-day use you'll appreciate it. Not harm having some cheap spinning metal in there too if you want to store photos and video but my priority would be to keep your games on the SSD. The day of keeping them on a HDD is really over and it's nice having your game load faster. It won't make your games run any faster but just reduces the need for you to stare at tips during loading screens :)

An AIO isn't going to help with poor ventilation but chances are the room will be cooler than the inside of the box. Just be sure your case fans are not blocked. Nothing will melt, those days are long gone as there are far too many self protecting checks in place, but your CPU and GPU will be slower if the temperature in the case is too warm. You don't need jet engines running but just good flow or air to avoid that.
    I was considering doing that tbh but it's a minefield with reviews, and having a second screen is something I'd definitely want any advice on where to get one?

All part of the fun :) Well, before I answer that, what is the thinking? Will the second monitor just be for viewing web pages and Discord chat? Because if it is, keep it simple. 60hz and don't bother with frame sync (Freesync or Gsync). As for where, well Amazon for brand new or go to Adverts and haggle. Rule of thumb with advert these days: The asking price is usually bananas.

But I'd recommend you focus on your main monitor first. We kinda need to know what you are playing first? There are a couple of kinks that make it hard to decide.

• Advertisement

Coyler wrote: »
    Dump the AIO and you can sink that into a 1TB NVME SSD. For day-to-day use you'll appreciate it. Not harm having some cheap spinning metal in there too if you want to store photos and video but my priority would be to keep your games on the SSD. The day of keeping them on a HDD is really over and it's nice having your game load faster. It won't make your games run any faster but just reduces the need for you to stare at tips during loading screens :)

An AIO isn't going to help with poor ventilation but chances are the room will be cooler than the inside of the box. Just be sure your case fans are not blocked. Nothing will melt, those days are long gone as there are far too many self protecting checks in place, but your CPU and GPU will be slower if the temperature in the case is too warm. You don't need jet engines running but just good flow or air to avoid that.

All part of the fun :) Well, before I answer that, what is the thinking? Will the second monitor just be for viewing web pages and Discord chat? Because if it is, keep it simple. 60hz and don't bother with frame sync (Freesync or Gsync). As for where, well Amazon for brand new or go to Adverts and haggle. Rule of thumb with advert these days: The asking price is usually bananas.

But I'd recommend you focus on your main monitor first. We kinda need to know what you are playing first? There are a couple of kinks that make it hard to decide.

Okay i could add a second ssd somewhere down the line if I needed it. Ah loading screens, the bane of gaming �� That's really good to hear about the fans, I would like to avoid messing up a pricey PC if at all possible xD

Yeah the second screen would just be for streamlabs, discord, twitter that kind of thing. For the second monitor I was looking at https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3397129/Trail/searchtext%3EPc+monitor.htm
    Or
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8473945/Trail/searchtext%3EPc+monitor.htm

For the main monitor I was looking at https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/electriq-28-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-1ms-freesync-monitor-eiq-284kmb-hdr/version.asp

I want to be able to play AAA games like Arkham Knight, overwatch Borderlands 3. Basically I'm looking for something that will look good no matter what I'm playing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

Wouldn't bother with spending much on the HDD. I use SSD for windows, M2 SSD for Steam/games, HDD only for backup of pics, phone backups etc.

1070ti could be worth a look instead of 2060 imo.

Have a look at https://geizhals.eu for some comparisons too, a lot of places won't deliver to Ireland though. But you can get a UK address redirected to you with a few places, I use Parcel Motel cos it's only 2 miles from my house and 3.50 a drop :D

Wouldn't bother with spending much on the HDD. I use SSD for windows, M2 SSD for Steam/games, HDD only for backup of pics, phone backups etc.

1070ti could be worth a look instead of 2060 imo.

Have a look at https://geizhals.eu for some comparisons too, a lot of places won't deliver to Ireland though. But you can get a UK address redirected to you with a few places, I use Parcel Motel cos it's only 2 miles from my house and 3.50 a drop :D

Cool I'm probably going to go for just ssd tbh, I'm not sure about the 1070i it looks like it's fairly close in price but much older. I will check that site out thanks 😊 parcel motel is great :)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.68 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£20.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (£175.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£75.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£198.18 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (£496.52 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: RIOTORO CR400 ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: RIOTORO ENIGMA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£174.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Cooler Master MasterMouse MM530 Wired Optical Mouse (£30.46 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse (£40.00)
    Total: £1514.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 20:30 BST+0100

CPU cooler not necessary, but it's cheap.
    2 cheap, good options for mouse included - check out RocketJumpNinja for more.
    Unsure on keyboard.
    GPU is a bit overkill - can substitute with a dual-/triple-fan RX 5700 XT (e.g. cheapo PowerColor) or RTX 2060 Super. However going overkill now means you don't have to upgrade for the next 2 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.68 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (£20.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (£175.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£75.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£198.18 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (£496.52 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: RIOTORO CR400 ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: RIOTORO ENIGMA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£174.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Cooler Master MasterMouse MM530 Wired Optical Mouse (£30.46 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse (£40.00)
    Total: £1514.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 20:30 BST+0100

CPU cooler not necessary, but it's cheap.
    2 cheap, good options for mouse included - check out RocketJumpNinja for more.
    Unsure on keyboard.
    GPU is a bit overkill - can substitute with a dual-/triple-fan RX 5700 XT (e.g. cheapo PowerColor) or RTX 2060 Super. However going overkill now means you don't have to upgrade for the next 2 years.

Thanks for the build :) i would like to overkill as much as I can to make sure it can run alot of things for a few years at least. Would it be better to get the newer ryzen cpu in the interest of making it last longer?

what 32gb ram would you suggest for this build?

The reason I ask is if i want to stream borderlands 3 the recommended ram is 16gb already so Im assuming it would need more to help it deal with the pressure. And if that's going to be the norm id obviously want to make sure the PC doesn't struggle.

• Advertisement

Ryzen 3600 is newest AMD generation - very good CPU.

For streaming you'll probably be better off relying on the RTX GPU & using Nvidia NVENC: https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/15/nvenc-vs-x264-does-cpu-or-rtx-gpu-encoding-work-best-for-twitch/

RAM: 16Gb is plenty IMHO, as long as it's fast.

PC Games are generally effected by console game development. Raw CPU speed is just not as useful as it once was compared to core count. You can by all means get a 3700X but you might not see the difference in the real world for years to come. Plenty of people here still happily working away on very old CPUs with not that much in complaints. I get Kiki's logic here. Best to spend the money on area's you'll actually see a boost in performance.

If you want 32GB just go with the 2x16GB version of that RAM. DDR4-3200 is really the key stat for Ryzen chips. However, I wouldn't bother. Hardware Unboxed reported that the game consumes nowhere near 16GB but 8GB would be very tight. Oh, and for best performance make sure it's 2x8GB. The motherboard manual will explain were to place the two sticks to get the full bandwidth.

Now, I'm not knocking the monitor choice but I've usually taken the theory that the monitor is one of those parts that it pays to spend a bit as it's something that you can bring to other builds and they don't tend to wear out. Think of it as an investment. And a good monitor is easily sold if you do upgrade. This is your first build so you might not want to push the boat out a little but hear me out. Drop the cost of the keyboard, mouse and CPU cooler and roll that into something like the Dell S2719DGF. 27", High refresh rate (155hz), 1440p, G-sync/Freesync compatible and a slew of connections. Ticks all the boxes if I was shopping for a gaming monitor. Not the best at productivity but that's not what we are here for. Oh and small tip, Gsync only works over Displayport so pick yourself up a cable. Amazon is kind enough to suggest an option as well :)

Oh, and for secondary monitor the key stats is 60hz (pretty much standard now) and 1080p. Size is up to you. Get it as cheap as you possibly can.

Ryzen 3600 is newest AMD generation - very good CPU.

For streaming you'll probably be better off relying on the RTX GPU & using Nvidia NVENC: https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/15/nvenc-vs-x264-does-cpu-or-rtx-gpu-encoding-work-best-for-twitch/

RAM: 16Gb is plenty IMHO, as long as it's fast.

Ah sorry I didn't realize there were 3 different versions in that gen. Okay so will the graphics card you listed above be good?

PC Games are generally effected by console game development. Raw CPU speed is just not as useful as it once was compared to core count. You can by all means get a 3700X but you might not see the difference in the real world for years to come. Plenty of people here still happily working away on very old CPUs with not that much in complaints. I get Kiki's logic here. Best to spend the money on area's you'll actually see a boost in performance.

If you want 32GB just go with the 2x16GB version of that RAM. DDR4-3200 is really the key stat for Ryzen chips. However, I wouldn't bother. Hardware Unboxed reported that the game consumes nowhere near 16GB but 8GB would be very tight. Oh, and for best performance make sure it's 2x8GB. The motherboard manual will explain were to place the two sticks to get the full bandwidth.

Now, I'm not knocking the monitor choice but I've usually taken the theory that the monitor is one of those parts that it pays to spend a bit as it's something that you can bring to other builds and they don't tend to wear out. Think of it as an investment. And a good monitor is easily sold if you do upgrade. This is your first build so you might not want to push the boat out a little but hear me out. Drop the cost of the keyboard, mouse and CPU cooler and roll that into something like the Dell S2719DGF. 27", High refresh rate (155hz), 1440p, G-sync/Freesync compatible and a slew of connections. Ticks all the boxes if I was shopping for a gaming monitor. Not the best at productivity but that's not what we are here for. Oh and small tip, Gsync only works over Displayport so pick yourself up a cable. Amazon is kind enough to suggest an option as well :)

Oh, and for secondary monitor the key stats is 60hz (pretty much standard now) and 1080p. Size is up to you. Get it as cheap as you possibly can.

Thanks that was all very informative 🙂 I'll stick with the 16gb seeing as both you and kiki agree it's not needed. The monitor does look really good and thanks for the display port tip 👍. What did you mean about productivity?

I was looking at a razor Naga mouse around £60 but has great reviews, I've used one of my friends with similar stats and really liked how sensitive it was (using a controller now feels so slow) had no thoughts about a keyboard other than mechanical so I'm open for whatever their. I have a wireless Logitech one on my old PC ATM and the thing has issues with w10 where it messes with the volume and I have a slight hatred towards them over it tbh

Ah sorry I didn't realize there were 3 different versions in that gen. Okay so will the graphics card you listed above be good?

Literally the best you can get without spending stupid money. An RTX 2080 is better but you are paying for performance you simply won't see, especially at 1440p. For that you need to go RTX 2080 ti and they will set you back over a grand.
    Thanks that was all very informative 🙂 I'll stick with the 16gb seeing as both you and kiki agree it's not needed. The monitor does look really good and thanks for the display port tip 👍. What did you mean about productivity?

I was looking at a razor Naga mouse around £60 but has great reviews, I've used one of my friends with similar stats and really liked how sensitive it was (using a controller now feels so slow) had no thoughts about a keyboard other than mechanical so I'm open for whatever their. I have a wireless Logitech one on my old PC ATM and the thing has issues with w10 where it messes with the volume and I have a slight hatred towards them over it tbh

Productivity is office or editing work. Basically that monitor focuses on high response times and refresh rate. For productivity you would prefer sharp contrast and excellent colour representation. It's nice to have all that in one package but we are talking major money. So, focus on what you want it for.

Mice and keyboards are highly subjective. If this is your first gaming PC I'd recommend you just get some comfortable that's lying around. Don't make an expensive purchase until you have a feel for what you want. Oh and jack the sensitivity up and learn to control it. And then raise it again. Investing in that will give you a far better advantage than any mouse :)

TBH I feel anything over 1000dpi is just showing off.

Literally the best you can get without spending stupid money. An RTX 2080 is better but you are paying for performance you simply won't see, especially at 1440p. For that you need to go RTX 2080 ti and they will set you back over a grand.

Productivity is office or editing work. Basically that monitor focuses on high response times and refresh rate. For productivity you would prefer sharp contrast and excellent colour representation. It's nice to have all that in one package but we are talking major money. So, focus on what you want it for.

Mice and keyboards are highly subjective. If this is your first gaming PC I'd recommend you just get some comfortable that's lying around. Don't make an expensive purchase until you have a feel for what you want. Oh and jack the sensitivity up and learn to control it. And then raise it again. Investing in that will give you a far better advantage than any mouse :)

Wow okay that's fairly insane for a graphics card, ah okay I get you thanks. I'll just get a cheapish one of each with good reviews then 🙂

TBH I feel anything over 1000dpi is just showing off.

Fair enough that's fine then I'll just go by reviews for cheaper ones, the 10,000dpi will be a good range 🙂

Fair enough that's fine then I'll just go by reviews for cheaper ones, the 10,000dpi will be a good range 🙂

I think you misunderstand me on the mouse there.
    You definitely should browse RJN's site/channel & watch a few reviews for mice, and get something with an excellent sensor (e.g. PWM 3360, 3389, Logitech Hero, Steelseries TrueMove 3, etc)

But in Windows/games I wouldn't bother setting it above 1000 dpi :)
    So, buy by shape/features/sensor/price not by "how high DPI is the sensor".

I think you misunderstand me on the mouse there.
    You definitely should browse RJN's site/channel & watch a few reviews for mice, and get something with an excellent sensor (e.g. PWM 3360, 3389, Logitech Hero, Steelseries TrueMove 3, etc)

But in Windows/games I wouldn't bother setting it above 1000 dpi :)
    So, buy by shape/features/sensor/price not by "how high DPI is the sensor".

Ah okay I get it thanks, I will definitely check out RJN in a bit :) also this may be a stupid question but what is the best type of extension lead to get for a pc like this, I obviously want to make sure it's go the safest one ��

• Advertisement

Ah okay I get it thanks, I will definitely check out RJN in a bit :) also this may be a stupid question but what is the best type of extension lead to get for a pc like this, I obviously want to make sure it's go the safest one ��

You want to look for a proper surge protector - check out The Wirecutter for reviews, too.

You want to look for a proper surge protector - check out The Wirecutter for reviews, too.

Thanks I will, you've been a great help, I appreciate it 🙂

Have to ask, how are you connecting to the internet? Is the modem/router in the same room?

Edit: Just noticed that other thread talking about 27" monitors. The one they are talking about is similar specs to the Dell above but might work out a few quid cheaper. Keep an eye.

Have to ask, how are you connecting to the internet? Is the modem/router in the same room?

Edit: Just noticed that other thread talking about 27" monitors. The one they are talking about is similar specs to the Dell above but might work out a few quid cheaper. Keep an eye.

I was planning on wiring it into the router, the PC would be in the same room as it.

Sounds good I'll have a look thanks ��
    Edit: just looked at that monitor it looks good, hopefully it gets released/ becomes available over here ��

Advertisement