Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How many kg did that work out at? And how are you going to store it all?!

It's roughly 480kg live Weight working down to we think 180kg butchered.

I'm taking half, friends taking half. Cost me 40 bales of silage. About €1200 for the whole lot so I break even on my costs for the silage and then make a bit on what I'll save in buying meat for the next 6-8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm taking half, friends taking half. Cost me 40 bales of silage. About €1200 for the whole lot so I break even on my costs for the silage and then make a bit on what I'll save in buying meat for the next 6-8 months.

Fair play.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone else think it's "odd" that 2 of the bigger supermarket chains are having beef promotions at a time when there's protest at beef factories.. And headlines saying that supermarkets will have "empty shelves"

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/x9cxH1AJIzA
    Not a bargain but lots of beefyness... Bad news is its in Spanish, and I don't speak Spanish, but it's all pretty self explanatory...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's "odd" that 2 of the bigger supermarket chains are having beef promotions at a time when there's protest at beef factories.. And headlines saying that supermarkets will have "empty shelves"

Surely in this situation the retailer is making less from the beef when on promotion though. Anyway lets not get into it and derail the thread again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Anyone who supplies supermarkets will tell you, it's they are forced to pay for the offer. Those steaks are good value. Angus or Hereford are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play, thats a great way of buying it. At 90kg of meat though Im guessing it is filling at least two chest freezers? Wish I had the space for something like that, theres a few deer hunters near me too who Id love to be able to buy off but just dont have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Slightly off topic, but does anyone recall which tv programme recently featured a small specialty restaurant near San Sebastian in northern Spain? They only did steaks, cooked over charcoal and you got it how they cooked it, no requests taken. Old dairy cows were sought out for the flavoursome meat. I've a friend over there now who wants to try and visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone recall which tv programme recently featured a small specialty restaurant near San Sebastian in northern Spain? They only did steaks, cooked over charcoal and you got it how they cooked it, no requests taken. Old dairy cows were sought out for the flavoursome meat. I've a friend over there now who wants to try and visit.

BBC2 - Casa Julian?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dubl07 wrote: »

Was it recent? I think it was Remarkable Places to Eat.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007f1f/remarkable-places-to-eat-series-1-4-san-sebastian

It is Casa Julian as per previous post.

It did look amazing... but I was surprised how rare it was after that long on the charcoal grill.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Casa Julian?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fair play, thats a great way of buying it. At 90kg of meat though Im guessing it is filling at least two chest freezers? Wish I had the space for something like that, theres a few deer hunters near me too who Id love to be able to buy off but just dont have the space.

I've a 255L chest freezer. I'm hoping 1 will be enough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Debub wrote: »
    BBC2 - Casa Julian?
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was it recent? I think it was Remarkable Places to Eat.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007f1f/remarkable-places-to-eat-series-1-4-san-sebastian

It is Casa Julian as per previous post.

It did look amazing... but I was surprised how rare it was after that long on the charcoal grill.
    podge018 wrote: »
    Casa Julian?

That's it! Thanks to you all. I'd searched in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aldi are doing packs of four Angus striploin for €8.99. Crikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

jimgoose wrote: »
    Aldi are doing packs of four Angus striploin for €8.99. Crikey!

What do they weigh do you know?

Update to my freezer of Angus beef

The heifer was 535kg live Weight and approx 240 kg butchered.
    Total cost €1380.

I got half an animal ( a 250 L freezer full) and €670 in my hand.

Worked out at €5.70 / kg.

The secret is now to put away 20 a week for what I didn't buy. Would probably have spent more realistically on meat per week..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I got half an animal ( a 250 L freezer full) and €670 in my hand.

Where are you based, you looking to offload any? Did you take every cut/off-cut?

Dickerty wrote: »
    Where are you based, you looking to offload any? Did you take every cut/off-cut?

The whole beastie is accounted for and in freezers around the locality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The whole beastie is accounted for and in freezers around the locality :)

Popular guy! :D

I had to settle for a Beef Bond from James Whelan for some Wagyu, may see it by Christmas if I'm lucky...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Popular guy! :D

I had to settle for a Beef Bond from James Whelan for some Wagyu, may see it by Christmas if I'm lucky...

You need more friends :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭MacDanger

approx 240 kg butchered.

Roughly what was the breakdown of the half a heifer? i.e. how much steak, roast, mince, etc.?

Supervalu

26 Sept - 2nd Oct Irish sirloin steak half price €8.49kg
    3rd-9th Oct 33% off Fillet steak €23.44/kg, also leg of lamb half price €7.24/kg

MacDanger wrote: »

approx 240 kg butchered.

Roughly what was the breakdown of the half a heifer? i.e. how much steak, roast, mince, etc.?

Edit: How long did you hang it for?
    I have it written down somewhere..I try look for it.

It was hung for 2 weeks. Would have preferred longer but the butcher had his own business to consider as well.
    Nice bit of meat though. Friends who took some are already saying they are in for next year ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

2 pack of sirloin 440g €4.29 in Aldi
    2 pack of sirloin 500g €5 in centra
    I tried the centra one last night and it was nice and great value for money

The internet isn’t for everyone

Supervalue have 33% of fillet steak at the moment

Not really a bargain but something a bit different in Lidl at the moment-
    200g Venison Steak 4.99
    300g Wild Boar steak 4.99
    From 25/11

Will be partaking in both of those

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Local butcher has texted with Black Friday Half Price roast striploin beef €18/kg.
    Doesn't look like much of an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Water John wrote: »
    Local butcher has texted with Black Friday Half Price roast striploin beef €18/kg.
    Doesn't look like much of an offer.

Text him back

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

1 week only 9th-15th Jan SuperValu

Irish round roast 5.95/kg
    Irish housekeepers cut 7.36/kg

Butcher counter only

Irish eye of the round 10.04/kg
    Irish cowboy steak 11.72/kg
    Irish fillet steak 23.44/kg

Cowboy steaks back, sweet. Wish they had more of them in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ALDI have a promotion running on their 'Black Angus' steak range - the ones in the black cardboard boxes.
    Runs 12th - 14th February for Valentine's Day.

The 7oz Fillet steaks are down to €8.20.
    8oz Ribeye, striploin and sirloin also included although my local ALDI seemed to be out of the Ribeye already!

These boyos, allegedly the best fillet steaks in the world (2019)!
    https://extra.ie/2019/07/12/business/irish/aldi-irish-fillet-steak-named-best-in-the-world
    Fillet.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement