Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving House Security

• 24-11-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am I the only one in this forum who thinks Irish houses are easy to break into because there are no shutters? (thugs can easily break the windows)

What do you guys do to improve your house security?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Heavy iron gates on the front of my drive which I lock so they'd have a pain in their ar5e climbing over them or they'd have to try and cut the lock. Also, a boxer and German Shepherd would be waiting for them inside...so would I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Danpad wrote: »
    Heavy iron gates on the front of my drive which I lock so they'd have a pain in their ar5e climbing over them or they'd have to try and cut the lock. Also, a boxer and German Shepherd would be waiting for them inside...so would I.

Rambo : First Blood! ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive the usual window locks dead bolts on the doors I also rigged my alarm system to run off solar panel and larger battery Picked up a couple of wireless cctv cameras on ebay and have them running on solar panels Solar security lights front and back reinforced side/back gate razor wire on the walls around my back garden oh and not to forget the 3 dogs a rottie and 2 jack russels and the usual home defense items (co2 fire extinguisher will also ruin a burglars night:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Motion sensor halogen lights front and rear.
    Replaced the door locks when we bought the house as who knows who else had keys.
    I went with Garrison locks and keyed front and back door alike so only one key to carry.
    Deadbolts on kitchen and bathroom doors so even if a door is kicked in or window broken at the rear there is another door needs breaking through.
    More smoke alarms fitted, battery and mains ones.

To do:-
    Alarm system with CCTV
    One room to be made a safe room, probably our bedroom.
    Fire door with three deadbolts and longer screws securing hinges to frame/wall, much longer time to kick in.
    Large safe to be fitted, documents and small valuables. I have the safe.
    I have looked in to putting security film on the windows to make them more difficult to break in.

A friend had his house broken in to and the thieves used tools from his shed to chop into a safe in his house. They stole several guns and made a getaway, after hitting other houses in the area prior to this. The Gardai caught them and luckily the thieves didn't know how to make his rifles work. They must have been in there for hours, but the neighbours just thought he had builders in doing work.

As long as the next house is a handier target it's as much as you can do.

Motion sensor halogen lights front and rear.
    Replaced the door locks when we bought the house as who knows who else had keys.
    I went with Garrison locks and keyed front and back door alike so only one key to carry.
    Deadbolts on kitchen and bathroom doors so even if a door is kicked in or window broken at the rear there is another door needs breaking through.
    More smoke alarms fitted, battery and mains ones.

To do:-
    Alarm system with CCTV
    One room to be made a safe room, probably our bedroom.
    Fire door with three deadbolts and longer screws securing hinges to frame/wall, much longer time to kick in.
    Large safe to be fitted, documents and small valuables. I have the safe.
    I have looked in to putting security film on the windows to make them more difficult to break in.

A friend had his house broken in to and the thieves used tools from his shed to chop into a safe in his house. They stole several guns and made a getaway, after hitting other houses in the area prior to this. The Gardai caught them and luckily the thieves didn't know how to make his rifles work. They must have been in there for hours, but the neighbours just thought he had builders in doing work.

As long as the next house is a handier target it's as much as you can do.
    Hinge bolts are handy to use with the longer screws http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-PAIRS-OF-SECURITY-HINGE-BOLTS-EB-BRASS-PLATED-STEEL-WITH-FIXING-SCREWS-13G6-/251003279506?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item3a70f61892

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

grapeape wrote: »
    Check how your door frame is fixed to the wall as well. If your getting a new door, get a new hardwood frame and glue and bolt it in the opening, use at least three bearing hinges and consider using a stepped detail architrave, glueing and screwing a piece of hardwood to the frame on the inside. Even with long screws, the distance from the screw holes on a hinge to the edge of the frame arent even an inch(25mm). If you can't do that, two cross pieces of hard wood like an old castle gate! They can be stored above the door till needed (hopefully never!) and the receivers can make a handy place for hanging thing like your coat( on the hinge side) and your walking stick (on the lock side);-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Anyone heard anything about security film for windows?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about security film for windows?

Auto Glass do it for cars havent heard of anywhere doing it in Ireland for household windows Maybe Auto Glass will sell a roll or 2

Just googled it http://magicvision.ie/ do it Prices start from €29

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Will house insurance be happy with this?

The only issue I suppose is in case of fire, you can't break your own window.

• Advertisement

Will house insurance be happy with this?

The only issue I suppose is in case of fire, you can't break your own window.
    You put the film on the inside of your window it can be broken out but not in so insurance will be very happy and you and yours can escape if need for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

When I got my double glazing in a few years ago I went the extra few bob and specified 8mm laminated glass on the outside panes of doors and windows - they could go at it for 30 minutes with a sledge hammer and still not get through.

Like the idea of plastic screening as an additional backup though.

Night mode CCTV and motion detector lamps front and back.

Home made pepper spray and CO2 fire extinguishers for self defense - spray never gets taken outside the house for obvious reasons.

Boundary walls to rear topped with railway grease ( the very thick stuff that can't be washed away by rain ).

Presently having ideas about electrifying rear door handle and shed locks from the mains (but with current limiting to make it non-lethal) - just need to work out how to interlock the power for safety !

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

What company helped you put the laminated glass?
    Bluefang wrote: »
    When I got my double glazing in a few years ago I went the extra few bob and specified 8mm laminated glass on the outside panes of doors and windows - they could go at it for 30 minutes with a sledge hammer and still not get through.

Home made pepper spray and CO2 fire extinguishers for self defense - spray never gets taken outside the house for obvious reasons.

Boundary walls to rear topped with railway grease ( the very thick stuff that can't be washed away by rain ).

Presently having ideas about electrifying rear door handle and shed locks from the mains (but with current limiting to make it non-lethal) - just need to work out how to interlock the power for safety !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

Hi Drexl - it was Fairco windows. To be honest , I could have spared myself the expense by going for window films though - I believe they are used by public transport companies such as Dublin Bus and LUAS to prevent windows caving in if struck by rocks etc.

Really like the forum, I only came across it tonight.

"Victory favours preparation"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No connection other than a satisfied customer (for the anti glare film), but these guys have the product and expertise to install it quickly and efficiently.

http://proluxltd.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/prolux-ltd-security-films-wicklow/ms-90042863-p-4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Is that not an unnecessary environmental hazard there are alternatives
    A Survivalist is(or should be) first and foremost an environmentalist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No connection other than a satisfied customer (for the anti glare film), but these guys have the product and expertise to install it quickly and efficiently.

http://proluxltd.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/prolux-ltd-security-films-wicklow/ms-90042863-p-4/

is it expensive or roughly how much per window, say average size window 5 or 6x4,

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Boundary walls to rear topped with railway grease ( the very thick stuff that can't be washed away by rain )

I often thought of making up a mix of birdlime or adding something to paint to stop it drying out. Nothing like going home covered in sticky mess to put people off climbing over the rear wall.

It's no razor wire, but unobtrusive and causes no injuries.

Is there a "greener" axle grease replacement?

I mentioned to my wife about possibly fitting "decorative" steel screen doors front and rear, our doors open in so are possibly vulnerable to a good booting.
    Outward opening steel screen with their own locks would stop that. It would also allow opening the door to deal with callers, without them being able to push their way in. Sure if we ever again get a summer like last year we could leave the full door open and leave a breeze through without inviting every flying bug inside as well.

Also handy for zombies!

I was thinking this style of thing...

Security-Screen-Door-by-DCS-Industries-225x300.jpg

security_screen_door_nexqy.jpg

but she's said a firm No!

I guess getting shop style steel shutters for the windows is out as well so.

Security-Shutters-Home.jpg

Those things must be going cheap with so many retail units gone kaput.

A friend of mine fits alarm systems, what they've seen a lot lately is stuff stolen to order... and guys going to the rear windows of houses and popping the windows open with two screwdrivers, breaking the hasps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

GY A1 wrote: »
    is it expensive or roughly how much per window, say average size window 5 or 6x4,

The solar stuff was expensive enough, no idea of price as it was done for a business premises. Give them a ring and ask for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

A steep driveway, gates at the sides and the front of the house is easily seen from the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Many Irish houses are fitted with Euro Cylinder locks (especially back doors) and they are ****.

It is very important to get anti-snap locks fitted.

Thanks, I enjoyed that video :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

A guy from a windows and door company showed me this trick once, the lady of the house I was working in had lost the keys to the sliding back door. She just left it unlocked for ages till I was there doing some other work. Had the guy over to fix some windows I fitted and asked him to have a look at the door, out came his vice- grips and there you go!! You can get those locks in lots of hardware shops in different lengths so it doesn't protrude outside to give some one a grip. Just make sure the lock is flush with the handle and that the handle can only be removed from the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 21 accord2001

interesting and scary how easy it is to smash a patio glass, i am seriously considering getting sec film done, if it can slow down the burglar more than enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware that most times the windows are not broken to gain entry. Along with forcing and snapping door locks and frames, they are removing the entire window pane of glass by opening the plastic frame. See

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/spate-break-ins-burglars-removing-15112635.amp

https://images.app.goo.gl/dnkzqx2fciyExtVE6

They have made it illegal now but many panes of double glazing are inserted and removed from outside, not inside, and then angled pieces of plastic hold them in. They are easily popped out with a screwdriver or knife. You can seal your window frames with silicone and use a vibration alarm on each window. Burglars prefer this method as breaking glass sounds draw attention quickly. They also cut wooden window frames, and melt the plastic around locks with a mini blowtorch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What a hard world out there. The ocean is our protection out here. I have a field gate and keep that padlocked but for privacy not security. The thread makes me realise how lucky I am. Only lock the door as the cats can open it else and let the warm air out.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

CO2 fire extinguishers for self defense - spray never gets taken outside the house for obvious reasons.

How effective is a fire-extinguisher? Does it burn the eyes or just irritate them?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

accord2001 wrote: »
    interesting and scary how easy it is to smash a patio glass, i am seriously considering getting sec film done, if it can slow down the burglar more than enough !
    Been thinking about this myself. We bought our house and moved in in September and just had all the windows and doors replaced last week, the old external glazed aluminium are now internal glazed PVC, the old sliding door is now a French door with 9 point locking and the front and side are composite so all very secure. Have 4 LED sensor lights around too, a monitored alarm and ordered a hick vision 8 channel CCTV system on Saturday. Hopefully it arrives this week and I can install it over the weekend!

On the French doors I got a patlock, it's a decent lock that locks the handles together so the hooks and shoot bolts cannot be released even if the locks are broken. It came with new spindles that lock in place too so they can't be removed from the outside if they take the handles off.

aaakev wrote: »

On the French doors I got a patlock, it's a decent lock that locks the handles together so the hooks and shoot bolts cannot be released even if the locks are broken. It came with new spindles that lock in place too so they can't be removed from the outside if they take the handles off.

I have the same lock for a number of years now and am very happy with it. Also great for securing a door that you don't want to lock, in case of a fire emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I have the same lock for a number of years now and am very happy with it. Also great for securing a door that you don't want to lock, in case of a fire emergency.

Yeah it's a good lock alright. I got thumb locks on all the doors in case of emergency, they work really well.

Has anyone done the security film? If so what was the cost?

Advertisement