Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aluminium confusion

• 02-06-2019 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭

I recently joined Barna Waste. Aluminium drinks cans go in the recycle bin but aluminium food trays, from oven cooked food, go in the landfill bin despite having Alu & the recycle symbol on them. Why ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The amount of aluminium v the risk of contamination I would think. Once the foil or tray has been thoroughly cleaned I can't see any reason not to recycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

T-Maxx wrote: »
    The amount of aluminium v the risk of contamination I would think. Once the foil or tray has been thoroughly cleaned I can't see any reason not to recycle it.

That's what I would of thought but all the waste companies seem to say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm a bit confused as to why I'm recycling at all. I'm with barna too and both my bins are collected at the same time. Into the same lorry. With my neighbours bins. How is it possible not to contaminate mixing all the waste together? And no, they don't have separate containers within the lorry. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to why I'm recycling at all. I'm with barna too and both my bins are collected at the same time. Into the same lorry. With my neighbours bins. How is it possible not to contaminate mixing all the waste together? And no, they don't have separate containers within the lorry. Anyone know?

I saw this happening, but when I complained, it turned out the truck was multi-compartment. If that's not the case, complain to the local authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I saw this happening, but when I complained, it turned out the truck was multi-compartment. If that's not the case, complain to the local authority.

They should have separate compartments.
    Same as how they pick up the glass and compost bin.

My issue is that you can go to the trouble of washing your recyclables, then they're mixed with your neighbours who doesn't bother.

Does that contaminate everything?
    Shouldn't they all be washed by the recycler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am trying to do things properly but I am sure that the majority don't bother as there is little chance of being discovered unless they check your bin before loading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's a pure and utter shambles and then we have contaminated waste being shipped half way round the world and dumped on Third World countries.

Advertisement