Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

% of wage on Rent

Options
  • 17-02-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what % of peoples wage do the spend on rent in Dublin ? ,
    Could you afford to rent in Dublin on 30 grand a year ? or 60 for a couple ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I think general take is no more than 30% of your income should be spent on rent.If that is actually practical in dublin I don't know.I'm one of the lucky ones not having to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Depends on where you'd be willing to live etc but I'm living in Dublin the last three years on a PhD stipend (much less than your 30K) and surviving just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

ciaradx wrote: »
    Depends on where you'd be willing to live etc but I'm living in Dublin the last three years on a PhD stipend (much less than your 30K) and surviving just fine!
    Interesting.Are you renting a house fit for a couple?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

probably a house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

30% if you can but in Dublin, getting it under 35% is tough.

The 40/30/30 rule is a good one to follow if you can:
    http://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-403030-rule/

• Advertisement

Just wondering what % of peoples wage do the spend on rent in Dublin ? ,
    Could you afford to rent in Dublin on 30 grand a year ? or 60 for a couple ?

Searching on Daft just now for a max price of 1000 in Dublin City Centre, South County Dublin and North County Dublin shows 6 apartments ranging in price from 800 to 950. Most are studios.

You could fit a couple in all of them, but might be a bit of a squeeze depending how much stuff you have.. You say a couple on 60k, but thats gross right? As in before tax. According to the Deloitte tax calculator, 30k is about 2100 net per month. If there is 2 of you then you will be getting about 4200 a month. So to get one of those 6 available apartments between the 2 of you you would be spending about 25% of your income. Now obviously these are the 6 cheapest properties in Dublin.

The average rent at the moment is about 1200, which is about 35% of your income, but even finding somewhere that is 1200 is difficult nowadays.

The question you need to ask yourself is what can you afford to live on between food, transport, etc and what have you got left.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

House share in D7

Advertisement