Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Would be funny to see Leo give a speech on April 1st saying "aahhh!!! Got yous!!" and everyone had to pay back any money they claimed from Welfare/Revenue. :P

We will have to do this anyway, but through taxes over the coming years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Italy didn't account for all the travel related cases, I think it was maybe 30% of all travel related cases
    Yes.
    -a Dublin one was originated via the Netherlands and/or Bavaria (via Italy)
    -one from Limerick was originated via England and/or the Netherlands
    -another one from Limerick is 100% from the Netherlands
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112826792&postcount=973

Source: Nextstrain - visualising data from the GISAID Initiative - the international sharing of virus sequences https://www.gisaid.org/
    There are a total of 5 sequences from ROI: 3 from Limerick, one from Dublin, one from Cork
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov?f_country=Ireland

marno21 wrote: »
    Antibody tests will be crucial, to determine possible cases who were asymptomatic and may now be immune.
    This.
    I also see Countries starting mass antibody testing soon (May, June? ) and then those who are found immune will go back out to work.
    Then massive Covid testing for the rest of the population and tracking as in South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

otnomart wrote: »
    Yes.
    -a Dublin one was originated via the Netherlands and/or Bavaria (via Italy)
    -one from Limerick was originated via England and/or the Netherlands
    -another one from Limerick is 100% from the Netherlands
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112826792&postcount=973

Source: Nextstrain - visualising data from the GISAID Initiative - the international sharing of virus sequences https://www.gisaid.org/
    There are a total of 5 sequences from ROI: 3 from Limerick, one from Dublin, one from Cork
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov?f_country=Ireland

Read somewhere the other day too their was a high enough number of imported cases from france and spain as well think spain was the origin for upto a quarter of imported cases

Jin luk wrote: »
    Read somewhere the other day too their was a high enough number of imported cases from france and spain as well think spain was the origin for upto a quarter of imported cases
    Very likely.
    The first recorded death in Europe was a man who died in Valencia as early as the 13 February.
    He was tested post-portem only a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Very likely.
    The first recorded death in Europe was a man who died in Valencia as early as the 13 February.
    He was tested post-portem only a few weeks later.

Would you watch football?

Valencia played atalanta(italy) in the champions league in february, that stadium would have been a petri dish for infection mind you in that cup they play home and away so defintely didnt help the cause for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

eldudebros wrote: »
    Why are people so quick to rubbish the effects of 5G? What do we know? Nothing at all really.

Not one of us would have expected a pandemic like this to occur this time last year.

Already scientists and doctors have appealed to the EU to reconsider it due to health effects it may cause. Why bother their hole if there wasn't cause for concern.

Which 'scientists and doctors'?

sternn wrote: »
    We will have to do this anyway, but through taxes over the coming years :)

Nonsense talk. No we won't. He'll be giving us stimulus payments for years to come. I can't wait. I reckon he'll give everyone about €2,000 a month, for 3 years, to get the economy up and running again.

I've already bought a new boat and a house in Kerry on the promise of it.

(we are trying to be positive, right? :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Nonsense talk. No we won't. He'll be giving us stimulus payments for years to come. I can't wait. I reckon he'll give everyone about €2,000 a month, for 3 years, to get the economy up and running again.

I've already bought a new boat and a house in Kerry on the promise of it.

(we are trying to be positive, right? :P )

Now that you say it, I've booked a ticket to the moon and have to pay it off over the next few years. These payments will become useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Listening to morning Ireland they are expecting over 500 ICU patients during April whereas we only have under 200 ICU beds at present. This is bad.. Real bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

A baby under the age of 1 has died in Chicago, they have yet to realise whether they had underlying injuries,I would guess they do.
    Children dying In this pandemic is rare but still scary to think about the few that do.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-infant-dies-coronavirus-youngest-covid-19-death-illinois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Listening to morning Ireland they are expecting over 500 ICU patients during April whereas we only have under 200 ICU beds at present. This is bad.. Real bad

And that's 500 a day not in total..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

Are the government on top of this?

I see in NY they built s temp hospital in 4 days

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....whereas we only have under 200 ICU beds at present. This is bad.. Real bad

Currently....all hospitals have been busy for the last few weeks (and will be for the next few weeks) adding ICU beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Jayzee. wrote: »
    Are the government on top of this?

I see in NY they built s temp hospital in 4 days

citywest is being converted into a step down hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's not exactly accurate. It's a worst case scenario projection based off no measures being put in place.

Private hospitals coming on stream this week along with other facilities increase the bed count.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And that's 500 a day not in total..

That’s worse case scenario and was projected before these new measures came in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

This.
    I also see Countries starting mass antibody testing soon (May, June? ) and then those who are found immune will go back out to work.
    Then massive Covid testing for the rest of the population and tracking as in South Korea.

I see this as an important move. What if 50% or so have had asymptomatic or mild symptom infections, and have recovered. We could get back to some level or economic activity.

It's in the future, but it shouldn't be too far into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

h2005 wrote: »
    What are you going to say to them? Leave Irish people abroad to fend for themselves? Does this apply to doctors and nurses returning home too?

That’s not what I’m saying or suggesting. Do you really think at this stage there shouldn’t be quarantining of people returning? It’s happening in a lot of countries at this stage. We simply don’t have the healthcare system to deal with a surge so it could save lives. I’m not suggesting stopping anyone returning. I’m suggesting quarantine, screening etc.

Irish people coming home is one thing. But allowing anyone from practically anywhere on the Planet come in when we're on lockdown is mad Ted.

Yes, I don’t mind or have issue with people coming home, it’s the lack of control or restrictions on quarantining these people I find concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Same with China.

Vaccine is the only way. A lot of things have been published about the 'END GAME'. A vaccine is the START of an end game.

Remember the vaccine was found for small pox in 1796 but smallpox was only declared eradicated in 1980. The last known natural case was in Somalia in 1977.

Some mental gymnastics comparing the 1796 situation to the World we have now where millions of doses of a vaccine could be produced in a matter of months - once they have a effective one!

It was the first known vaccine - infecting people with coxpox so they gained immunity from the far deadlier smallpox but was not a widely available vaccine in 1796.
    In 1958–1977, the World Health Organization conducted a global vaccination campaign that eradicated smallpox.

khalessi wrote: »
    No to be alarmist but I am putting this here for anyone with psoriasis who may not see it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164787/14-year-old-boy-Portugals-youngest-coronavirus-victim-Ovar-near-Porto.html

youngest death in Europe 14 year old footballer with psoriasis

My goodness that is awful.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Wonder did their immune system go crazy or something tho psoriasis wouldn't be something I would class as being contributory

Psoriasis is linked to immune system is some way being over reactive. It’s your skin shedding too often as far as I know

That's not exactly accurate. It's a worst case scenario projection based off no measures being put in place.

Private hospitals coming on stream this week along with other facilities increase the bed count.
    leahyl wrote: »
    That’s worse case scenario and was projected before these new measures came in

Exactly why you should never just take things secondhand

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

A week ago they were saying the Olympics are good to go, now the shut down the country to half the world

frillyleaf wrote: »
    That’s not what I’m saying or suggesting. Do you really think at this stage there shouldn’t be quarantining of people returning? It’s happening in a lot of countries at this stage. We simply don’t have the healthcare system to deal with a surge so it could save lives. I’m not suggesting stopping anyone returning. I’m suggesting quarantine, screening etc.

This should be automatic at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just a few links to share. The first is on the "fantastic" new test the UK are looking at. It may or may not be a game changer but contrast that with the bravado of the, now sick, Boris with uber caution our own powers-that-be present every day.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238834-will-a-home-antibody-test-for-covid-19-really-be-a-game-changer

This is from someone based in China and probably well-qualified to comment on the current situation. It may not satisfy the "Chinese numbers are fake news" brigade but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/mar/30/lockdown-china-coronavirus-outbreak

easypazz wrote: »
    In another couple of weeks if we start to get numbers under control then quarantine and testing of all arrivals is probable.

All governments at the moment are pretty much giving people a window to get home, after that who knows what flight restrictions will follow.

That window is gone, our icus are rapidly filling. We need to slow this down even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Yes, I don’t mind or have issue with people coming home, it’s the lack of control or restrictions on quarantining these people I find concerning.
    They are told to self-isolate for 14 days. Why do you imagine people would choose to ignore that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

lawred2 wrote: »
    Exactly why you should never just take things secondhand

I was listening to morning Ireland, original poster left out the key piece of information.

If someone is going to post something at least post the full information that was talked about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement