Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brian? wrote: »
    It’s funny how you started with the opinion that the killing was “absolutely justified”

Yes, that's my opinion, based on observing the video of the incidents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes, that's my opinion, based on observing the video of the incidents.

So an ignorant opinion based on confirmation bias and seeing stuff on the intrawebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's 'videos of the incident'. The first video show the police clearly have Jacob on the ground. the second one shows him coming around the car, followed by two police men with their guns drawn and pointing at him walking away.
    So three police failed tom hold him on the ground. So they end up shooting him seven/eight times instead.
    Anyone with a basic grasp of the time when you're allowed deploy your weapon as a police officer would know, this incident doesn't come anywhere near the threshold. How us posters 'feel' about it doesn't dictate the rules of engagement.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So an ignorant opinion based on confirmation bias and seeing stuff on the intrawebs.

That would be your opinion. The video is fairly conclusive in showing the event. The kid was chased by the crowd initially, corned and attacked by the first individual. He shot him, then fled from the crowd again. He was hit, knocked down and set upon by more individuals. He then shot two of the persons attacking him, got up and moved to the police's location.

Do you dispute those events?

That would be your opinion. The video is fairly conclusive in showing the event. The kid was chased by the crowd initially, corned and attacked by the first individual. He shot him, then fled from the crowd again. He was hit, knocked down and set upon by more individuals. He then shot two of the persons attacking him, got up and moved to the police's location.

Do you dispute those events?

If you had a look at Wisconsin laws, shooting a man in the head is not considered an acceptable or legal response.. He then went on to shooting another man multiple times. On top of that he is on video boasting about using legal response. After the first killing he took a fecking phonecall... So I don't imagine any of the above will work in his favour when he has his day in court.

• Advertisement

If you had a look at Wisconsin laws, shooting a man in the head is not considered an acceptable or legal response.. He then went on to shooting another man multiple times. On top of that he is on video boasting about using legal response. After the first killing he took a fecking phonecall... So I don't imagine any of the above will work in his favour when he has his day in court.

So you don't dispute the sequence of events I laid out above? Everything you have stated is your opinion, as is my view of it being self defense.

Water John wrote: »
    It's 'videos of the incident'. The first video show the police clearly have Jacob on the ground. the second one shows him coming around the car, followed by two police men with their guns drawn and pointing at him walking away.
    So three police failed tom hold him on the ground. So they end up shooting him seven/eight times instead.
    Anyone with a basic grasp of the time when you're allowed deploy your weapon as a police officer would know, this incident doesn't come anywhere near the threshold. How us posters 'feel' about it doesn't dictate the rules of engagement.

So he broke free and was heading for the drivers side of the car? What for? How where the cops to assess his intentions and what exactly he was seeking in the front seat of the car. Was it a gun, a knife. What happens if it is a gun??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

So he broke free and was heading for the drivers side of the car? What for? How where the cops to assess his intentions and what exactly he was seeking in the front seat of the car. Was it a gun, a knife. What happens if it is a gun??
    my

Usually it is not a gun. The overwhelming majority of US police who die on the job die of heart attack or car crash.

What if he was going to his car for his license and registration? His water bottle? His bible? Shoot an innocent man 7 times in the back anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Socially protesting by stealing Gucci and Apple? Funny how they seek to protest racism by destroying black businesses and communities.

Yes. Socially protesting by stealing Gucci and Apple and burning whatever they want.

It's not your place to tell oppressed people how to protest and it's the height of hubris to think that any groups form of protest has to appease your sensibilities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As with a lot of political or social issues, a good way of assessing whether your views may be skewed by your own biases or prejudices is to ask yourself what the reaction would be if the boot were on the other foot?

How would you feel if, statistically speaking, white people were more likely to be shot by the police? What would your reaction be if a black counter-demonstrator shot some white people? Or indeed, what would the police reaction be if a black man showed up with an assault rifle?

• Advertisement

my

Usually it is not a gun. The overwhelming majority of US police who die on the job die of heart attack or car crash.

What if he was going to his car for his license and registration? His water bottle? His bible? Shoot an innocent man 7 times in the back anyway?

He shouldn't be moving anywhere when directed not to.

Did you seriously give the example of going for his license and registration or are you joking. You think with cops shouting at him to not move he was saying "I'm just getting my registration book from the car officer". Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

IF he were going for a gun then the time to shoot him is when you see the gun in his hand as he backs out of the car and turns to shoot. There is absolutely no reason at at all to shoot someone in the back unless he offers an immediate threat. At that stage he did not. You can't go around shooting people for maybes and possiblys.

However, the whole US attitude to the military (these guys are not protecting the fatherland, they are meddling in other countries), to police (who calls armed cops to sort out a minor discipline problem in a primary school?) and to guns is so far off the wall though that there is really no point discussing it. Eventually they will grow out of this adolescent 'I can do what I want' approach to life, but in the meantime they will just keep killing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

As with a lot of political or social issues, a good way of assessing whether your views may be skewed by your own biases or prejudices is to ask yourself what the reaction would be if the boot were on the other foot?

How would you feel if, statistically speaking, white people were more likely to be shot by the police? What would your reaction be if a black counter-demonstrator shot some white people? Or indeed, what would the police reaction be if a black man showed up with an assault rifle?

Thats fair but this type of thinking should also be applied to the blind support or excuses given by those of a liberal persuasion to any to anything relating to protests and/or civil disorder in the US at the minute.

Look at Minneapolis this week the man, probably a murder, shot himself on video but still the place burns, you can watch a video online of people at the scene of the incident yelling at the police that they just saw them shoot the suspect, like they literally believe they saw the cops shoot him despite it being one of the cleanest cut cases of suicide possible.

Basically if the community responds that way to a murder blowing his own head off (visibly and publicly shared) there is something messed up about the community aside from an issues with policing and trite comparisons with northern Ireland are meaningless.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, there is a tendency among a lot of people to get so emotionally invested invested their "side" of the debate that they end up blindly defending something simply because the other side condemns it, and hey find themselves making excuses for rioting or shootings.

looksee wrote: »
    IF he were going for a gun then the time to shoot him is when you see the gun in his hand as he backs out of the car and turns to shoot.

Yeah I'm sure that's what you would do faced with the possibility of being killed in the line of duty.

Comply with the orders of the police.

Tge solution to all of this is the removal of guns from American life.

The next best solution is to comply with the police.

The police are not guilt free either. Kneeling on someone's neck needs to be outlawed too. But as things stand the police are facing the possibility of being shot in the line of duty. They have to protect themselves in difficult situations. And it's not just black people getting shot by the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Tge solution to all of this is the removal of guns from American life.

The next best solution is to comply with the police.

The police are not guilt free either. Kneeling on someone's neck needs to be outlawed too. But as things stand the police are facing the possibility of being shot in the line of duty. They have to protect themselves in difficult situations. And it's not just black people getting shot by the police.

As regards the guns that will never happen and if you've ever spent any considerable time living or travelling in America and i mean not NY/LA/Orlando etc.. you'd know this.

Yeah I'm sure that's what you would do faced with the possibility of being killed in the line of duty.

Comply with the orders of the police.

Both of us may disagree with Jacob's resistance to arrest but that does not constitute good reason for shooting him.

Water John wrote: »
    Both of us may disagree with Jacob's resistance to arrest but that does not constitute good reason for shooting him.

Those cops know it's not like the movies where one shot and someone is down. If Blake reaches the front seat and has a gun he will likely get shots away before he can be stopped. He is a big strong man.

Cops who are out on the beat every day are not going to let things get that close to disaster or else they know one day they will be killed in the line of duty.

The cops that shot Blake will not be convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This is becoming tiresome, there's absolutely no denying there has been some appalling police behaviour but I the reaction is turning into farce. I note in part direct family members, most of whom have either not spoken to or seen loved ones who've been shot in year's , indeed they quickly air brush some chequered pasts, some involving serious and violent offences I'm not defending the indefensible but it seems to me these ghastly & horrid families find the law as quickly has they find God and Lawyers. I watch us news channels and its telling how ambulance chasing lawyers change the narrative, its become an unseemingly money chasing charade that has little to do with BLM and more to do with lining grubby pockets. I will say George Floyd's family are the exception but beyond that, just trailer park trash.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A fine example of this:

The NRA supported new laws to curb the right to open carry in California signed into law by Governor Reagan. Why? Because the Black Panthers were open carrying rifles and shotguns at political rallies.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Those cops know it's not like the movies where one shot and someone is down. If Blake reaches the front seat and has a gun he will likely get shots away before he can be stopped. He is a big strong man.

Cops who are out on the beat every day are not going to let things get that close to disaster or else they know one day they will be killed in the line of duty.

The cops that shot Blake will not be convicted.

Exactly, it isn't the movies, it's reality. The reality is, their rules of engagement, which they failed to adhere to.

Anybody's personal opinion as to whether they think of them as trailer trash or worthy citizens is irrelevent. They are all human beings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

IF he were going for a gun then the time to shoot him is when you see the gun in his hand as he backs out of the car and turns to shoot. There is absolutely no reason at at all to shoot someone in the back unless he offers an immediate threat.

People normally can't react that quickly. I played 'bad guy' in one very similar exercise. I snuck a pistol through a checkpoint in a compartment in the car, and managed to shoot two out of five with it when I opened the door and pretended to get into the car before getting shot myself. It's one of the reasons that people are occasionally shot in the back in the US, by the time an officer has recognized the threat and reacted to it, the suspect has turned, fired, and turned back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Mod Snip

No memes

Thanks

Yes. Socially protesting by stealing Gucci and Apple and burning whatever they want.

It's not your place to tell oppressed people how to protest and it's the height of hubris to think that any groups form of protest has to appease your sensibilities.

I'm sure the members of their own communities, who have seen their businesses destroyed might have something to say.

To call black people in the US oppressed is laughable. They live in one of the best societies in the world, that's statistically safer than at anytime previously. They enjoy numerous privileges and advantages afforded them under the auspices of equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People normally can't react that quickly. I played 'bad guy' in one very similar exercise. I snuck a pistol through a checkpoint in a compartment in the car, and managed to shoot two out of five with it when I opened the door and pretended to get into the car before getting shot myself. It's one of the reasons that people are occasionally shot in the back in the US, by the time an officer has recognized the threat and reacted to it, the suspect has turned, fired, and turned back.

The over militarisation of policing in the US is the core problem . Military weapons and vehicles should be removed and then banned and all links to military training in house or outside should be banned. It serves no purpose in conventional policing. What it does is serve to treat all citizens as a threat regardless of the scenario.

The continuation of existing policies only serves in the end game being completely messed up relationships between normal citizens of all walks of life and the departments meant to serve and protect the communities.

But as with anything in the state's it's solely about money , money money and more money. it's the reason the US is in such disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I'm sure the members of their own communities, who have seen their businesses destroyed might have something to say.

To call black people in the US oppressed is laughable. They live in one of the best societies in the world, that's statistically safer than at anytime previously. They enjoy numerous privileges and advantages afforded them under the auspices of equality.

And yet black males are six times more likely to be shot by police than a white male.

There are more black men in American prisons right now per 100,000 population than there were black men in South African prisons at the height of apartheid.

A black man is far more likely to be stopped and searched by police than a white man. Trevor Noah mentioned being stopped more than 30 times by police his first year in the US.

We saw the overwhelming abuse that black sports stars received when they tried to peacefully protest few years back. High profile players fired, merchandise burned, the current president calling them traitors.

America portrays its as a land of equality but reality is black people are still treated like second class citizens there.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    And yet black males are six times more likely to be shot by police than a white male.

There are more black men in American prisons right now per 100,000 population than there were black men in South African prisons at the height of apartheid.

A black man is far more likely to be stopped and searched by police than a white man. Trevor Noah mentioned being stopped more than 30 times by police his first year in the US.

We saw the overwhelming abuse that black sports stars received when they tried to peacefully protest few years back. High profile players fired, merchandise burned, the current president calling them traitors.

America portrays its as a land of equality but reality is black people are still treated like second class citizens there.

Black people account for over 50% of violent crime and murder, mostly of other black people. Yet they account for ~13% of the population. You can't claim that they are unfairly targeted by police when they perpetuate the majority of serious crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Black people account for over 50% of violent crime and murder, mostly of other black people. Yet they account for ~13% of the population. You can't claim that they are unfairly targeted by police when they perpetuate the majority of serious crime.

Yet black people are treated unfairly when they are interacted with by police because of these preconceived notions. "Oh a black person, good chance they're a criminal." "A white person, nothing unusual there"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Black people account for over 50% of violent crime and murder, mostly of other black people.

50% of arrests for violent crime which isn't the same thing..

The vast majority of murders are by people who know each other either family members, friends or neighbours. So yes it's mostly black people killing black people, whites killing whites, hispanics killing hispanics.

Violent crime tends to be associated more with poorer neighbourhoods anyway, same with countries. Outside the US every highly developed nation has low homicide rates. In Europe the poorest nations like Moldova and Estonia the homicide rate is much higher.
    You can't claim that they are unfairly targeted by police when they perpetuate the majority of serious crime.

The vast majority of people in us prisons aren't there for violent crime though. Majority are there for drug offences. You are 12 times more likely to be convicted of a crime and sent to prison if caught with drugs in the US if you are black instead of white!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement