Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone not interested in being published?

• 23-07-2020 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I've written a few books worth of material. They're quite good although I say so myself. I'm sure I would garner some admiration and even win some awards for what I've written. But I have no interest in being published; it's not because there's no real money in it, even though there isn't. It's not fear of rejection or criticism.

It's a lack of ambition and an apathy for praise. I know I would take no delight from readers enjoying what I've written; the sense of achievement would be absent, the opportunities that would present themselves as a result of my talent would mean nothing to me. Fame or semi-fame as a writer is a fruit that would never quench my thirst. The thrill most writers must experience from seeing their endeavours in print is not something that rings true for me.

I guess it boils down to a lack of passion. It's even gotten to the stage where even if I lost all my work, I wouldn't be heartbroken; I might not even care much at all really.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I suppose it comes down to the question of why you write.

There are many like you who write for themselves alone.

I personally am interested in my stories being published. Yes, I do want people to like it and tell me they like it. Some won't (and some even tell you) but there's not much that can be done about that. It's a normal part of it. Along with the near ceaseless rejection. :pac:

At the heart of it I think is the desire to communicate with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hey Sheridan,
    Glad you have such confidence in your writing, and I guess having no desire to publish frees you from all the hassle of agents and publishers, magazines, competitions etc. Hope you continue to enjoy your writing. Or not. Whatever floats your boat!
    Kieran

Advertisement