Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭KildareP

The Met Eireann 7 day rainfall map has been consistently downgrading precipitation over the last 24 hours. It is now showing none practically for the east coast. This is based upon the Harmonie I believe. Just to temper expectations with the official forecast not as gung ho currently. There does seem to be a view here that something spectacular is in the offing but it's not quite adding up for me.

Met Eireann's forecasts were completely off the mark last time around too. I believe it's due to the sporadic nature of these types of events, you just can't tell when or where they'll happen.

For most of the last thunderstorm event the majority of the rain which ultimately materialised never showed up on the forecast for those areas at any stage (plus there were other areas, like my own, that showed all set to receive 20mm+ of rain in the space of a few hours yet there wasn't so much as a drop of rain for a very wide radius).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Rookie question -

What sort of clouds should I be looking out for? Don’t want to be searching skies to my south when the action is building in the north.

This sort of thing. Can't miss them really:

XpOhjBWl.jpg

x9wE8AOl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I hope we are all looking out at the Irish sea at what could of been. Prefer a nice calm night.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

What's with the toning down of Met Eireann's forecast? Please don't tell me this is not going to happen. I have been looking forward to it since yesterday. I don't need more disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

What's with the toning down of Met Eireann's forecast? Please don't tell me this is not going to happen. I have been looking forward to it since yesterday. I don't need more disappointment.

The toning down is probably based on their model assessments which maybe show less widespread storms than previously forecast. The toning down of language is reflected in their rainfall maps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Expect nothing and then you will not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I've attached a screen grab of peak activity as shown on met website. No longer shows any precipitation for east coast for next 24 hours. Northwest is in firing line for a storm according to this, but not until after midnight. No activity showing for eastern Ireland anymore. Let's see if it is right. Yesterday morning it showed widespread very heavy precipitation over large parts of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the damp squids

cant wait to piss all of this thread later,regardless of what materialises,like people did with the storms in the west last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Am I right in saying this is a non event for the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Expect nothing and then you will not be disappointed.

We don't need the weather forum so:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

lovely morning here in kilkenny

very warm already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Don't be focusing too much on precipitation forecasts as rainfall can sometimes evaporate before reaching the ground with elevated storms.

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 12Z shows an area C covering all of Ireland and extending southeastwards down over Land's End and NW France. A trough is shown over Brest, moving northwestwards at 30 knots.

Weather description for this area is as follows:

Generally fine, but isolated (occasional near troughs) heavy showers/thunderstorms with hail, Cb bases 3000-6000 ft, and isolated coastal fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Meteorite58 will come in with a haymaker of a prediction soon and the rollercoaster goes up again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

the damp squids

cant wait to piss all of this thread later,regardless of what materialises,like people did with the storms in the west last week.

Are you well?

Pretty much everyone looked on in envy of the storms last week out West. There was no pissing all over the thread, widespread acknowledgement of how incredible some of those storms seemed.

Your continued anger on this forum towards people in the East is frankly weird. It's just weather. Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Am I right in saying this is a non event for the SW.

Sadly I'd say you're right. In years of watching this sort of set-up with a humid southeasterly flow and our proximity to the Atlantic, I can't really ever recall significant thunderstorms developing in the Southwest of the country. At best, storms usually develop no further west than the Limk/ Tipp border. Maybe an isolated cell may pop up somewhere west of that line, but that's the most I'd expect.

These storms from Spanish plumes usually run east of a line from say, Waterford to east Mayo so west Munster will miss out as usual. Hope I'm wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gorgeous morning here in North County Dublin

What time is this weather change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

lawred2 wrote: »
    gorgeous morning here in North County Dublin

What time is this weather change?

8-10pm and on.

8-10pm and on.

grand - should get a full day out of this sun then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    lovely morning here in kilkenny

very warm already

Where else would people moan about something they can't control.

Overcast day in North Kerry. 19.2C
    998 hpa. NNE wind 1.7 m/s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

The question needed to be asked - I’m driving from Dunmore East at 8pm to Dublin Airport to take a flight to Kerry to collect a dog for my one legged mother.....will it be safe to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hate to throw a spanner in the works

From Met Eireann

Tonight will be very mild and humid, with further scattered heavy and
    thundery downpours and with a risk of hail and spot flooding. The risk of
    thunderstorms is greatest in Ulster and Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Storm 10 wrote: »

how has it moved so far north?

Saw BBC weather earlier that had some sort of concentrated cell hitting east coast directly... Dublin was bang in the middle.

Didn't seem to go near Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Seems to be showers developing to the South West

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Midnight radiosonde from Brest, NW France, shows a very strong cap above an elevated mixed layer. Plenty of CAPE there if it can be overcome, but a surface temperature of around 28 degrees would be needed to have a go at it. Most unstable layers are around 950 and 825 hPa.

7110_0_2006242306.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Met Eireann:

The risk of
    thunderstorms is greatest in Ulster and Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Midnight radiosonde from Brest, NW France, shows a very strong cap above an elevated mixed layer. Plenty of CAPE there if it can be overcome, but a surface temperature of around 28 degrees would be needed to have a go at it. Most unstable layers are around 950 and 825 hPa.

Met Eireann forecasting 29c in Firhouse by 5pm. We could definitely make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann forecasting 29c in Firhouse by 5pm. We could definitely make it!

Is that their hourly forecast for your location.

Always overestimates high temperatures, knock 2-3°c minimum off every time it forecasts temperatures like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Why would met eireann get it so wrong when Ireland weather is their only focus
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    Is that their hourly forecast for your location.

Always overestimates high temperatures, knock 2-3°c minimum off every time it forecasts temperatures like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Very hot and muggy when I was out at 8am - house is roasting, even with every window open - I need a fan!!

Advertisement