Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

morrga wrote: »
    I was surprisingly shocked with how poor our greens were. Slow I can understand but bobbly greens and bare in places hard to fathom. What were other courses like?

I can only think it is a finance issue not to have true rolling greens no matter what speed after 8 weeks of rest.

Course staff were on part time hours, courses had zero income. Its sad to think golfers expected the gates of Augusta national type conditions would open for them yesterday.
    Rest does not help with perfect conditions, greens need traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Course staff were on part time hours, courses had zero income. Its sad to think golfers expected the gates of Augusta national type conditions would open for them yesterday.

Had to explain this to one of our members who was complaining about something not being in pristine condition that the green staff were on part time hours and I'd say the club were only spending cash on anything that was essential. All other stuff is put on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Not sure its quite sad to think golfers might expect decent greens 8 weeks after greens were hollow tined. Its human nature to dream and wish for realistic and unrealistic things. Everyone dreams. Dream big.

Not sure its quite sad to think golfers might expect decent greens 8 weeks after greens were hollow tined. Its human nature to dream and wish for realistic and unrealistic things. Everyone dreams. Dream big.

Dream on so.

Dream on so.

Ha ha its ironic the only thing sad about all this is your mindset. Life must be pretty dull for you.

Fingers crossed you can find some positivity in your life soon.

• Advertisement

Ha ha its ironic the only thing sad about all this is your mindset. Life must be pretty dull for you.

Fingers crossed you can find some positivity in your life soon.

Im fine thanks, just a realist and tbh you clearly have unrealistic expectations of the greens staff at your club. Every club has members like that, and thats fine. id say you should approach club managment and give out to them about the state of the greens. thats the best way to get a straight answer about your predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im fine thanks, just a realist and tbh you clearly have unrealistic expectations of the greens staff at your club. Every club has members like that, and thats fine. id say you should approach club managment and give out to them about the state of the greens. thats the best way to get a straight answer about your predicament.

My greens were perfect and I'm sure many others were also. The weather has been ideal for this time of year, albeit requiring some sprinkler use.
    Why would you assume the OPs course staff were on part time hours? Is this factual or conjecture?

GreeBo wrote: »
    My greens were perfect and I'm sure many others were also. The weather has been ideal for this time of year, albeit requiring some sprinkler use.
    Why would you assume the OPs course staff were on part time hours? Is this factual or conjecture?

if you read his post you would see he mentioned finance issues, and one can only assume this is a contributing cause.
    I would expect, given its wealth for The Grange Gc greens to be perfect,id imagine they had a full team working through the weeks. However not every club has this luxury, so its a bit mean to be giving out about greens being a bit off when staff may have been on reduced hours and minimal resources.
    There will be plenty of courses closing as a result and most of those will have had the moany members turn their back and not want to pay subs etc when that money may just keep them open and allow them to plan for 2021 recovery. But hey, you enjoy those lovely greens in the Grange, they are always gorgeous there to be fair.

if you read his post you would see he mentioned finance issues, and one can only assume this is a contributing cause.

I was merely speculating by mentioning finance, maybe it’s a poor job done. Staff hours shouldn’t have been an issue as covid subsidy contributed to 70% of staff wages so all staff were retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would expect, given its wealth for The Grange Gc greens to be perfect,id imagine they had a full team working through the weeks. However not every club has this luxury, so its a bit mean to be giving out about greens being a bit off when staff may have been on reduced hours and minimal resources.
    There will be plenty of courses closing as a result and most of those will have had the moany members turn their back and not want to pay subs etc when that money may just keep them open and allow them to plan for 2021 recovery. But hey, you enjoy those lovely greens in the Grange, they are always gorgeous there to be fair.

So sheer speculation. I did read his post and he queried finance issues as a possible cause.
    It's a bit mean to jump all over someone for raising a valid question, not to mention labelling them as moany members.
    Perhaps they just did a crap job getting them ready, if they are bumpy then it would appear so.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    So sheer speculation. I did read his post and he queried finance issues as a possible cause.
    It's a bit mean to jump all over someone for raising a valid question, not to mention labelling them as moany members.
    Perhaps they just did a crap job getting them ready, if they are bumpy then it would appear so.

Good work on reading his post, as you may have not read mine.
    I certainly didnt label him/her as a moany member, i referenced courses closing and the members that moan turning their back on paying subs in that situation.
    Its a time to support clubs, support staff, help keep clubs afloat. not criticize them if the greens are a bit slow and bumpy.
    If you are healthy, your family are healthy, who gives a damn about greens being a bit slow or bumpy.
    You'll never have those issues, The Grange Gc is always immaculate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Really enjoyable 14 holes yesterday eveing. Lost about 6 balls but who cares. The 14 minute between groups really does spread out the groups and there was no hold up. Lets hope this weather keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had the worst round ever yesterday. But theres always today. Im going to play every day now i think. Nice to be able to meet mates on the course again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Our course opening today and we have 5 days of bookings on BRS so far.
    Must be a lot of unhappy members who were not able to book, restrictions from monday are now 3 rounds per week and only 1 at weekends. Any more and name will be removed from all slots for that week.
    Members have been asked to not play at weekend if they can play 3 rounds through the week i.e. furloughed/retired etc.

Obviously we don't have the 5km rule here so everyone can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Our course opening today and we have 5 days of bookings on BRS so far.
    Must be a lot of unhappy members who were not able to book, restrictions from monday are now 3 rounds per week and only 1 at weekends. Any more and name will be removed from all slots for that week.
    Members have been asked to not play at weekend if they can play 3 rounds through the week i.e. furloughed/retired etc.

Obviously we don't have the 5km rule here so everyone can play.

We're on 2 rounds a week which is fair as there was over 30 on the waiting list each day prior.

Glebee wrote: »
    Really enjoyable 14 holes yesterday eveing. Lost about 6 balls but who cares. The 14 minute between groups really does spread out the groups and there was no hold up. Lets hope this weather keeps up

Yeah it was great not having to wait on tee boxes. You usually had the full hole to yourself. Around in 3 and half hours and that was at a leisurely pace.

A lot of people mentioning the green,ours were ok but they have done a lot of maintenance over the last 2 months and we'll see the benefit of it over the rest of the summer.

The hard ground took some getting used of. Thinking the ball was short of the flag to find it had thundered on to the back of the green.

Drew the skins match with a strong finish. After all the chipping practice over the last few week of course it was the worst part of my game :) Overall think the break done me good, had less swing thoughts in my head which certainly helped me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keano wrote: »
    Time to discuss what golf is going to look like for next year, maybe more, who knows.

What is your club doing? What would you like to see happen?

Mod note: we have done to death the restrictions(5k jumping to 20k in June) so this is not a thread for discussing that topic, take it to COVID-19 forum
    slave1 wrote: »
    Please stay off that topic as it's a quick route to the whole 5k that killed the other thread

No more travel restriction chat please, posts just going to be deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

my course was in ****e condition too , i wonder if we play at the same course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Our sunday times released there tonight for booking which I always knew was going to be an interesting one with our 1 tee time per weekend rule.

Counted at least a dozen players not abiding by this rule. Commitee will need to look into this but i wonder would BRS have the capability to block users who already are in a slot.

If commitee don't remove these players from the slots then it just makes a mockery of all rules including the 3 per week one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I see the new version of BRS is up and running.

Tis fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

callaway92 wrote: »
    I see the new version of BRS is up and running.

Tis fine

Looks fairly good

How are people getting on with the 3 balls. I think they should move back to 4 balls on the 8th. People are keeping their distance and i think being outdoors is safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SEORG

I have heard from a reliable source that GUI/ILGU will tomorrow announce 4balls every 14 minutes or 3balls every 12 mins from June 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How are people getting on with the 3 balls. I think they should move back to 4 balls on the 8th. People are keeping their distance and i think being outdoors is safe enough.

I won’t lie - I’m absolutely loving it.

As long as people use the exact tee time assigned to them it is working really well. Maybe reduce it to 12 mins and they’d maybe fit two more 3 balls in per day then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

SEORG wrote: »
    I have heard from a reliable source that GUI/ILGU will tomorrow announce 4balls every 14 minutes or 3balls every 12 mins from June 8th

They have no choice if they want to run inter club, I believe clubs have already been informed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

SEORG wrote: »
    That was their plan for Phase 3. Interesting if they move it up. There's been no official communication to clubs as yet. But they've still got a survey running on inter-club comps that closes on June 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That was their plan for Phase 3. Interesting if they move it up. There's been no official communication to clubs as yet. But they've still got a survey running on inter-club comps that closes on June 7th.

Not in writing but they were told and it’s to be announced this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Not in writing but they were told and it’s to be announced this week.

Told how? My club's CCO has heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Looks fairly good

But runs like a dog, hangs when the time sheet opens up :-(

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I won’t lie - I’m absolutely loving it.

As long as people use the exact tee time assigned to them it is working really well. Maybe reduce it to 12 mins and they’d maybe fit two more 3 balls in per day then

Yeah I much prefer it. Yesterday was my 4 round since I was back and the first time I had to wait on a tee due to being behind a very slow group of ladies. They lost 2 and half holes on the group ahead. It was the first time we had got near any other groups.

I'd imagine clubs will use the use the 4ball option for weekend comps given they could get another 20+ people out each day.

Advertisement