Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Tu' vs 'Tusa'?

• 01-09-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

This is kind of a small issue, but I'd love to get some opinions on use of 'tu' vs 'tusa' (actually 'duit' vs 'duitse').

I know '-sa' is used for emphasis, but I'm wondering how subjective the choice to use it is and when to use it.

Situation:

3 people at dinner table, lets call them A, B, C.

A serves dinner to to B and says "seo duit".
    C already has their dinner.
    A thinks its pretty obvious they are serving B and says "seo duit".

Which of the following would you say:

1) A should say "seo duitse". That's just the natural thing to do and anything else sounds strange.

2) A should say "seo duit". There's no real reason to add the emphasis and that sounds right.

3) The right thing to say here, "Duit" vs "Duitse", is whatever A feels is best here, there's no right or wrong.

4) Something else.

Love any thoughts on this, this is kind of a hard thing to look up :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

D'fhág mise Béal Feirste ar a dó a chlog agus shroich mé Áth Cliath ar a ceathair.
    I would use 'mise' instead of 'mé' in the first instance if I felt a need to distinguish my departure time from someone else's.
    I would then use 'mé' instead of 'mise' in the second instance as I would think it unnecessary to make the distinction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

fergalr wrote: »
    3 people at dinner table, lets call them A, B, C.

A serves dinner to to B and says "seo duit".
    C already has their dinner.
    A thinks its pretty obvious they are serving B and says "seo duit".

2) A should say "seo duit". There's no real reason to add the emphasis and that sounds right.
    No 2 - no reason for emphasis here.

You'll have to listen to good speakers to work out the actual usage.

In fact I can't think of a situation where you'd ever want to say "seo dhuitse"; but one might exist!

Advertisement